Crab Legs

Vinoman11

Where is the best place, with the best prices to get crab legs in Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka? We will be there at the end of September and have seen reviews of Tracy's saying it is over priced. Want to experience fresh at a good price.

Edited by Vinoman11

^Yup - there's only one way to eat fresh King and that's to buy a whole crab from a tank in Vancouver before/after your cruise. Even the other less-rare crabs whose legs tend to be sold separately (the various species of Snow Crab) have their season closing no later than May so there's only a tiny chance of overlap between crab being caught and cruisers arriving (and even then, cooking and freezing of the crabs is often done onboard so no fresh ones are brought in at all).

You can certainly find fresh and IMO better-tasting Dungeness crab, but given I can get it cheaper here than in AK I have no clue where the best place would be found...

Well, Martin did say that the Dungeness crab will be fresh. He has the advantage of living in Dungeness crab country, so he gets it cheap at home. You and I, we live in the South - fresh Dungeness crab is not so readily available to us. My spouse is a big crab fanatic, so we're definitely going to get some Dungeness crab on our Alaska cruise. Right now, I'm even eyeing an excursion to George Inlet Lodge:

https://catchcrabs.com/portfolio-item/wilderness-exploration-crab-feed/

I've read some good reviews of it.

Thanks for the information. I guess I need to reword my question since there are no fresh crab. Where is the best place to purchase?

Can't offer a personal opinion on the best frozen leg place as like Hefnerd I'm not a fan - it's really hard to go back to boring pre-steamed frozen legs after eating fresh ones, split & stuffed with garlic before baking;-)

I'm sure you will get a few folks responding (mostly with "go to Tracy's") but you'll get a broader range of opinion by hitting up Tripadvisor for this type of question. Chowhound can also be a useful resource for specific food questions.

We did a "crabbing" excursion in Ketchikan last September, went out in a boat, small, not the deadliest catch at all, but after the "trip" and pulling up a trap, we went back to the inn, and had all the crab we could eat, and it was fabulous. Fresh, and one of the best meals I have ever had, and heck I'm 63. and I eat a lot.:o :D

Just a note that the commercial Dungeness fishery in Southeast Alaska (AK Area 1) doesn't open until October 1, so "fresh" Dungeness might be Canadian.

Even better - bilingual crabs that understand the metric system for no extra cost;-)

We did a "crabbing" excursion in Ketchikan last September, went out in a boat, small, not the deadliest catch at all, but after the "trip" and pulling up a trap, we went back to the inn, and had all the crab we could eat, and it was fabulous. Fresh, and one of the best meals I have ever had, and heck I'm 63. and I eat a lot.:o :D

We did this excursion two weeks ago. Had a great time and had plenty of crab to eat. Would do it again.

Don

Just a note that the commercial Dungeness fishery in Southeast Alaska (AK Area 1) doesn't open until October 1, so "fresh" Dungeness might be Canadian.

the summer commercial dungeness season in southeast typically opens on june 15. You will be able to have fresh 'merkin (don't look that word up) dungies measured in inches, not cm's.

Where is the best place, with the best prices to get crab legs in Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka? We will be there at the end of September and have seen reviews of Tracy's saying it is over priced. Want to experience fresh at a good price.

I love Tracys- dont mind paying the price.

I love Tracys- dont mind paying the price.

We enjoyed out dinner at Tracy's last Monday - roughly $86 for the two us each having the #1 combo (King crab leg, bisque, mini crab cakes w/bread) and the local root beer. Pricy but worth it for us....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
We enjoyed out dinner at Tracy's last Monday - roughly $86 for the two us each having the #1 combo (King crab leg, bisque, mini crab cakes w/bread) and the local root beer. Pricy but worth it for us....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly. Tracy's is awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk