What AIRPORT is closest to the Cruise Port in Miami

toxicfairy

We have always gone to FLL because the flights were cheaper the shuttled to Miami Hotels. Many options to the hotel and from the hotel to the ports. We had a close enough hotel that we took a cab for less that $5. We did not have uber or lyft them either.

That's another option, but you still had the cheap 5.00 cab, plus the shuttle expense from FLL to your Miami hotel. If you stay in Dania Beach, you get the free airport shuttle on the front end and then the Lyft/Uber/shuttle cost to the Miami sea port.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

So, I think you need to understand the situation in South Florida. Miami International Airport (MIA) is the closest to the Port of Miami....and is about a 20 min ride unless there is a lot of traffic. If you drive about 45 min up the coast (Interstate 95) you have Ft Lauderdale's Airport (FLL). An Uber car between the Port of Miami and Ft Lauderdale will only cost you about $35...so FLL is in play for cruises out of the Port of Miami. As somebody mentioned, FLL also has the advantage of being a major airport for Southwest Air (and also Jetblue). If you continue further up the coast from FLL you will eventually come to Palm Beach International (PBI) which is a bit far from the Port of Miami...to make it a normal choice. So your first choice would be MIA and close 2nd choice FLL.

There is another advantage to FLL. We prefer that area for pre cruise hotels. In fact, the last time we cruised out of MIA (last year) we intentionally flew into FLL (the day before) so we could stay at the 17th Street Embassy Suites (popular with many cruisers) and have dinner at nearby Kelly's Landing.

Hank

That's why I book cheap business fares, so the bags fly free.
Business class fares are always more expensive than coach class and usually only found on international flights. The only way that bags fly for free on an economy class coach flight is on Southwest or if you have an airline affiliated credit card that allows it.

Thanks when i went to put in an airport I didn't see one in miami. Just fort Lauderdale and ugg something else lol ...I'll have to look again it helps to have the code! Thank you again!!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Fly to FLL and get an uber to the port in Miami

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I booked direct flights from Pittsburgh to West Palm Beach. The flight times were the best, non stop flights, no baggage fees and the least expensive. Now I need to work on getting to the ship at the Port of Miami. Does anyone have some good advice. I heard once there was a train from West Palm Beach airport to Miami airport. Then you taxi or Uber from Miami airport. Has anyone done that? Thanks.

Business class fares are always more expensive than coach class and usually only found on international flights. The only way that bags fly for free on an economy class coach flight is on Southwest or if you have an airline affiliated credit card that allows it.

Domestic J or F fares into Miami, are often quite reasonable. We are a big market and thus have good fares, often quite close to coach!

We always fly first class fro Chicago to MIA so we don't have to pay for luggage, is it more expensive a little but when you pay for luggage etc it is well worth the money not only of the luggage but the wide seating with leg room.

• 1 month later...
Aaahhh THANK YOU! That makes sense! Darn any idea how far the Fort Lauderdale aiport is from Port of Miami? I screwed up once thinking we were cruiseing out of Ft Lauderdale and it was actually out of cape Canaveral and I've still never lived it down! Wrong hotel, transportation, everything. I was scrambling last minute. Thank God someone on CC actually caught my mistake by saying "umm are you sure because that ship doesn't go out of that port!" Saved my butt...but still my husband makes fun of me!

I'll bet you never lived that down!!! And for good reason. Port Canaveral is not exactly down the road from FLL. Luckily, Port of Miami is not that far. You can actually fly to MIA, FLL or West Palm Beach with reasonable commute connections. Might want to think about using an airline that flies to MIA instead for convenience sake and less transportation hassle. MIA now has connections to the Metro Mover and direct bus service to South Beach if you overnight in one of those areas.

No if I used a different airline I'd pay way more. Southwest still has free bags! And with us being a family with 3 woman plus my dh there are always 8 checked bags plus 4 carry ons😎

Consider packing much lighter and flying directly into MIA. Your trip will be much less stressful.

My wife and I and our 2 kids travel for an indefinite time period in 3 carry-on sized rollaboards and 3 backpacks.

I would agree that flying into FLL is the way to go on Southwest especially with that much baggage. Also as mentioned previously they have many shuttles that will pick up at your hotel and take you to POM the morning of the cruise. We use SAS and on their website they list the various hotels they pick up from so if you use them you can book at one of those hotels. JMHO

Flying Soutwest is BS anyway: fly direct with American and skip the $100++ one-way transfer cost, between FLL-Miami Port!

Don't fly into FLL for a Miami based cruise!!!

Spend the extra to fly direct to Miami and stay overnight there!

The MIA airport is MUCH nicer than FLL and has great lounges & food too.

Uber costs less than $40 from lauderdale to POM.

Hank

Just got off Divina on Sunday in Miami. I took Uber to ship for $12.50 on embarking. On returning Uber was charging $22.50 back to Miami airport. But driver couldn't find us and cancelled so we hopped in taxi and paid flat rate of $27. My friends traveled to ft Lauderdale and said they paid Uber $50 to get to the port on embarking on cruise.

Flew into FLL and used a private transportation company to POM for $15/pp. Flew home from West Palm. Took Cab to rental agency at Miami Airport ($27) then rented a car for $42 and drove to West Palm Airport. At time I booked flights...return from West Palm was $140/pp cheaper. Easy drive...1 hr straight up I95. Was off ship by 8am in rental car by 8:45 and dropped off car and in terminal at 10:00am..... Great option to consider (West Palm) if good price savings!!