Freedom 8 Night Jan 6 2018 - Any Ideas on Itinerary Changes

taylortime05

Hi,

Our original itinerary is St. Kitts, St. Martin, San Juan and Labadee. We are going with our 3 adults kids and their spouses. We picked this cruise for the ship and the ports. If it was just me and hubby I wouldn't be concerned about any changes in ports. Me and hubby are going on NCL Escape in November and the ports have been changes to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Great Stirrup Cay in Bahamas.

For this cruise in Jan we are booked with big box TA and my final payment is tomorrow. If we had not already purchased airfare I might think about cancelling. It's such a big investment when taking the family.

Do you think they will just switch this to a Western Itinerary? Since it's 8 days do you think they may do a Southern Itinerary.

I can see I spelled Itinerary wrong in the subject line. Is there anyway to correct it?

Nope.

Two choices:

"Triangle" yourself. (hit the blue triangle in the upper right corner of your post) and in the pop-up box, explain what you want the moderators to do.

Send an email with your requested correction to community@cruisecritic.com

They will probably substitute the ports. Labadee and St. Kitts are fine. I doubt they will go South unless they cut a port and replace it with a sea day, which may happen anyways. If I had to guess, San Juan and St. Martin could be substituted by Nassau, Antigua, Key West, or St. Croix (not sure of their conditions). There's always hope that St. Thomas may reopen. I don't think they will change your whole itinerary if they don't have to, but Royal Caribbean only seems to be posting itinerary updates about a month ahead. I'm cruising in November. We lost 3 of our 5 ports. I still have no idea where we're going. It's up to you if you want to take that risk. You may want to consider buying the travelers insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Travel insurance won't cover named storms. I tried this route already. Even if they change ports there won't be a refund. I just want the same amount of ports and it should be fine.

Another cruise line does a full Southern itinerary in 8 days from Southern Florida so it is possible. I doubt RCL will do this as it cuts down on revenue opportunities. More sea days = more on board spending.

Sent from my SM-J700M using Forums mobile app

I already have our airfare but I called Delta and they said they are waiving the change fee. They won't give the money back but I'd have up to a year to spend. I know my family would be disappointed if we didn't go at all in January. But I am considering cancelling and waiting to see the revised itinerary and I also think the prices will drop significantly like we are seeing in Oct thru Dec. For these drops it seems like you have to go with guarantees. But I could be wrong about the price drops and we end up liking the revised itinearary but prices are too high.

Just can't decide what to do.

We will be on the Harmony in mid November, and our schedule as of now hasn't changed -- San Juan, St Thomas and Labadee. Conventional wisdom says RCL won't make any changes until they see how repairs are going to the basic infrastructure, but common sense seems to be that San Juan and St Thomas are off the table (to be replaced by what, that's another question).

In our case we will be taking our cruise regardless of what ports we visit, as it's a vacation we've been looking forward to for months now. Sub out STT vs another island doesn't phase us as we can very easily enjoy ourselves either way.

Michael

Travel insurance won't cover named storms. I tried this route already. Even if they change ports there won't be a refund. I just want the same amount of ports and it should be fine.

Another cruise line does a full Southern itinerary in 8 days from Southern Florida so it is possible. I doubt RCL will do this as it cuts down on revenue opportunities. More sea days = more on board spending.

I agree about the ports. I realize Southern is possible, but unlikely. They probably wouldn't be able to do 4 ports.

As far as travel insurance, if you buy it through Royal Caribbean, you can cancel for any reason. However, depending on when you cancel, you may not get a full refund, but more than if you didn't. I considered it and inquired before making my final payment. I decided not to bother, as I plan on going no matter what!

I agree about the ports. I realize Southern is possible, but unlikely. They probably wouldn't be able to do 4 ports.

As far as travel insurance, if you buy it through Royal Caribbean, you can cancel for any reason. However, depending on when you cancel, you may not get a full refund, but more than if you didn't. I considered it and inquired before making my final payment. I decided not to bother, as I plan on going no matter what!

Actually I called Royal about that. They referred me directly to the insurance carrier. You actually can only cancel for covered reasons in order to get full refund. They were very particular about that. I did a lot of homework before final pay. I picked an outside insurer.

Actually I called Royal about that. They referred me directly to the insurance carrier. You actually can only cancel for covered reasons in order to get full refund. They were very particular about that. I did a lot of homework before final pay. I picked an outside insurer.

Well, then apparently both their customer service staff and their website are not being honest about the coverage. The lady I talked was trying real hard to push it on me before final payment because I thought I may change my mind. If this is true, the insurance company needs to communicate better with Royal Caribbean. I'm even more glad that I didn't waste my money on it.

Well, then apparently both their customer service staff and their website are not being honest about the coverage. The lady I talked was trying real hard to push it on me before final payment because I thought I may change my mind. If this is true, the insurance company needs to communicate better with Royal Caribbean. I'm even more glad that I didn't waste my money on it.

AON is the insurer. 1- 800-453-4022

Can cancel for covered reasons.

If cancel before final pay, full refund. Give them a call. See if they changed their story now. But yes they did push me to keep my cruise. The cruise contract states they can change itinerary anyway. It's so confusing.