MSC Magnifica

Minnie29

We are thinking of booking our first MSC cruise from Southampton next April on Magnifica and have a few questions.

Looking to book a balcony B3 Aurea cabin and would like your comments?

Will there be many children on board in your experience?

Have cruised with Cunard and Celebrity and think the Magnifica may be more our style and age group. We are both in our mid forties.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Unless you travel during the Easter holidays there shouldn't be too many children onboard.

I can't comment on Aurea cabins on Magnifica as I've only had a Fantastica balcony cabin on her before - in fact we'll be in the very same cabin next Monday! :) There are some nice "extras" with an Aurea booking. Priority boarding and MyChoice dining are the best 2 IMHO as they can't be paid for as enhancements, unlike the access to the Spa or the private sundeck which, while included for Aurea, can be paid for when not in Aurea.

If you don't already know, MSC are planning to make this ship more "Brit" friendly so it may not have quite the same "feel" as their other ships in Europe:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/shipping/15226860.PHOTOS__New_2_500_person_cruise_ship_to_make_Southampton_its_home/

Have you done the status match?

We have booked this for June the 25th Sailing we have booked into a Bella balcony cabin I did not think it was worth to extra for room service etc.

First cruise was on an old MSC ship years ago and we did transatlantic we saw it in port somewhere on our travels recently and it looked like an old tug.

if you avoid Easter should not be too bad for kids I am hoping june is not.

It's the All-Inclusive Restaurant & Bar Drinks Package. The following is what's included:

ALL-INCLUSIVE BAR & RESTAURANT DRINK PACKAGE.

Drink all you want, where you want, in total freedom and with a light heart! Unlimited consumption of spirits, liqueurs, aperitifs and cocktails from the bar list, dedicated selection of wines by the glass, draught beer, sodas, fruit juices, mineral water, espresso, cappuccino and other classic hot drinks, and takeaway ice cream in a cone or cup. The drinks included in package can be consumed in all bars, self-service buffet and restaurants including the specialty restaurants. The following items are not included in this offer: tobacco, champagne, bottles of wine and sparkling wine, premium spirit brands, drinks from the minibar and water provided in your cabin, souvenir glasses and food served in specialty bars and restaurants. Other excluded items are detailed in the onboard Bar List, indicated with an asterisk.

Basically, all items on the bar menus without an asterisk are included in this package.

Oh dear!! Still it was a cheap break, 2 nights hotel, 2 nights cruise in Fantastica balcony including flight was £250 - will be good to see what they have done to make it more 'British' - hopefully not ruined it!

That's a steal, Tim! I wouldn't be too concerned at that rate! ;p It'll certainly be interesting to hear just how "British" it will be.

We are hoping on April 23rd there won't be too many children on board!!!

We are booked on the 23rd, not expecting too many kids (fingers crossed). There are a few of us on the roll call already, come and join us if you decide to book.

Julie

Not sure to be honest how much the speciality is on Magnifica - you can pre-purchase it on the internet when you log in to your booking.

Evening dress code varies, as a pair of guys we take lounge suits for formal nights, however some do wear tuxedo and I would hazard a guess that from the UK sailings there will be a greater contingent in penguin suits. For the ladies it is how glam do you want to go in my experience. You can dress up a sun dress, wear something classic and elegant or a nice cocktail dress, or a smart trouser suit.

The way I usually explain the dress code is that if you were to go for a nice pub or chain restaurant meal in the UK what would you wear? Then for formal night something that next level. hope that helps?

Tim

What do MSC charge for the Specialty Restaurant onboard?

You can pre-book the (only) Speciality restaurant - Oriental Plaza. On our booking it's priced in Euros - €15 pp:

ORIENTAL FESTIVAL Oriental restaurant: the finest Asian cuisine from Japan, China and Thailand Make a voyage of discovery through oriental cuisine! The experience comprises 10 dishes including sashimi, nigiri, satay, dim sum and much more, together with a traditional Oriental dessert. Our Maître d'hôtel will assist you with planning and reservation of your experiences.

We're boarding Magnifica next Monday. I'll post photos of the menu offerings and prices as we'll have 2 evenings dining there due to our Black Card status.

You can pre-book the (only) Speciality restaurant - Oriental Plaza. On our booking it's priced in Euros - €15 pp:

ORIENTAL FESTIVAL Oriental restaurant: the finest Asian cuisine from Japan, China and Thailand Make a voyage of discovery through oriental cuisine! The experience comprises 10 dishes including sashimi, nigiri, satay, dim sum and much more, together with a traditional Oriental dessert. Our Maître d'hôtel will assist you with planning and reservation of your experiences.

We're boarding Magnifica next Monday. I'll post photos of the menu offerings and prices as we'll have 2 evenings dining there due to our Black Card status.

Oh, please do! We will be sailing her next September. I love to plan ahead.;) I'm already excited that we will have tea kettles!:D

Bea - Have a wonderful cruise! We'll be in Lisbon next Thursday(land trip) so leave it intact won't you? Ken

Thanks, Ken! Lisbon is safe (this time) - airport to port, onto ship, bye-bye Lisbon. :p

Best wishes to you and yours for an enjoyable trip, too! :*

We are hoping on April 23rd there won't be too many children on board!!!

We will be on the same cruise! First time in the UK yay!! Can you tell me how is the weather in London late April too cold?

We live in Miami here is warm all the time lol.

Looking forward our cruise.

We will be on the same cruise! First time in the UK yay!! Can you tell me how is the weather in London late April too cold?

We live in Miami here is warm all the time lol.

Looking forward our cruise.

Hi,

In April in London the weather could be almost anything, most likely high 50s/low 60s but a few years ago we sailed from Southampton in late April and and I remember being on a sun lounger in swimwear for sailaway (probably mid 70s which may still be too cold for you:)). It could also still be quite cold if we're unlucky. Rain is possible just about anytime of the year in the UK, but we do actually have a saying 'April showers' so bring an umbrella!

Julie

Hi,

In April in London the weather could be almost anything, most likely high 50s/low 60s but a few years ago we sailed from Southampton in late April and and I remember being on a sun lounger in swimwear for sailaway (probably mid 70s which may still be too cold for you:)). It could also still be quite cold if we're unlucky. Rain is possible just about anytime of the year in the UK, but we do actually have a saying 'April showers' so bring an umbrella!

Julie

Thank you Julie,

That is super cold for me lol, but is a good weather for walking better than the sun and heat, my husband will be very happy.

Isa:cool:

We have booked this for June the 25th Sailing we have booked into a Bella balcony cabin I did not think it was worth to extra for room service etc.

First cruise was on an old MSC ship years ago and we did transatlantic we saw it in port somewhere on our travels recently and it looked like an old tug.

if you avoid Easter should not be too bad for kids I am hoping june is not.

We are also on this cruise, we have cruised a few times before but this is our first on MSC - we are in a Bella balcony stateroom on deck 9

Sent from my iPad using Forums