rcc to cuba

pilates4life

we were thinking of cruising to cuba on a 4 night or 5 night in sept. Has anyone does this? Can you see anything by yourself or do you need to book a tour? It seems like the tours either are sights or old havana but not both and rcc says they would have to be done on 2 different days. Is that true? Thanks for any help.

I was there on NCL 5/29th - 6/2nd. THEN we could get off the ship and wander on our own. We did NOT have to pay for the cruise excursions. Majority of people hired their own drivers & guides through private Cuban companies. I did that myself. A solo female traveler and I was in a car by myself with 3 men the first day. I was completely safe. They treated me like a princess. I want to go back by plane and spend a month or two there. The people are AMAZING.

Now , I don't know what/how Trump's announcement changed things. Go to the the RCI board and see if you find better answers there.

now you need to have your plans solidified to get your visa. The tours are so specific timewise that you can't do do half day trips and we wanted to see both the city and sights now(with hemmingway house) and old havana. What would you say was your highlight?

I have to say the Havana tour was MUCH better, more interesting and informative. I would skip Hemingway's House. You can NOT enter the home. You can only look through and take pictures through the windows. AND it was SO crowded people literally pushed me and my guide away from the windows. He'd be in the middle of telling me some piece of history and bam ... pushed out of the way. A 3 hour tour was finished in 1 1/2 hours. That included driving out to the house and the return drive to the city.

Thank you for all the help- I think we will pass on cuba and look for something else

You will miss a great experience but you have to do a land tour and not a cruise to really experience the country.

DON