Northbound Alaska port or starboard?

Texasnee

On a Northbound Alaskan cruise, should we request a port or starboard cabin?

If photos from your balcony are a priority, I prefer port. The landscape on the starboard side is bathed in shadows in the early morning when some of the best photography light is available. The mountains to the east prevent the sun from lighting up the starboard side until the best light is gone. Here is an example. This was taken from a port balcony. As you can see, the houses and buildings are in the shade, but there is good light on the mountains. If you were on a starboard balcony at this same time, everything in your field of vision would be in shade. 9601877003_88643d1a85_c.jpg

And if you are going to Glacier Bay, there is only one way in and one way out, and while it is true that the ship does a spin-a-round at Margerie Glacier to give both sides a view, the sail in to the Bay is still pretty spectacular and the port side gets the better view. Here is another example. The photo below was taken by someone on an NCL ship of the ship that I was on. If you look at the scenery off to the starboard side of the ship, you will see that it is dull and lifeless.

9635969073_231db8e046_c.jpg

But where I was standing on the port side, I got bright blue skies and sun on the mountains:

9620392572_daf10bca92_c.jpg

Because you are more or less headed north the whole trip, this situation repeats itself often. Shade off to the east and sun shining to the west. Now, this is really only relevant fairly early in the morning as once the sun breaks past the eastern mountains, everything evens out. But often times, the best photos are taken early in the morning. And at that time, there is definitely a difference.

I would rather be up on deck going from side to side

At times. Many times. But no one can be up on deck 24 hours a day' date=' and since you have to choose a side for your balcony, you might as well have a reason for making your choice. As I noted above, often times the best photography light is very early in the morning. One might not be presentable to go out on deck then. I often did a photo shoot from 5:00-7:00 and then went back to bed. Also, while the idea of going from side to side has its appeal, in reality, you will find that most people huddle on one side of the ship, often three or four people deep. On Glacier Bay day, that side tends to be the port side for most of the morning, up until the ship spins around. So if one is going to stare off the port side for a couple of hours, having a balcony there doesn't hurt. It's not like you can't get a full view of the scenery:

[img']https://c3.staticflickr.com/4/3731/9620439066_6ba678c935_c.jpg[/img]

At times. Many times. But no one can be up on deck 24 hours a day, and since you have to choose a side for your balcony, you might as well have a reason for making your choice. As I noted above, often times the best photography light is very early in the morning. One might not be presentable to go out on deck then. I often did a photo shoot from 5:00-7:00 and then went back to bed. Also, while the idea of going from side to side has its appeal, in reality, you will find that most people huddle on one side of the ship, often three or four people deep. On Glacier Bay day, that side tends to be the port side for most of the morning, up until the ship spins around. So if one is going to stare off the port side for a couple of hours, having a balcony there doesn't hurt. It's not like you can't get a full view of the scenery:

9620439066_6ba678c935_c.jpg

See your points. BTW your pics are awesome

I would rather be up on deck going from side to side

Excellent answer. Unfortunately Princess has recently decided to lock every one in their cabins, so picking a side is now CRITICAL!!! :D:D:D;)

Seriously, it doesn't matter!! The scenery is all around you. You will be doing things- eating, roaming, etc. There is no one magic place you need to be to get the "best" scenery.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Excellent answer. Unfortunately Princess has recently decided to lock every one in their cabins, so picking a side is now CRITICAL!!! :D:D:D;)

Seriously, it doesn't matter!! The scenery is all around you. You will be doing things- eating, roaming, etc. There is no one magic place you need to be to get the "best" scenery.

like:)

Seriously, it doesn't matter!!

You need to add: "to me!" to the end of that sentence. There are differences. To some those differences matter and to others they do not. And I would venture to guess that to the majority of people they do not. But that does not alter the fact that the two sides are not identical. While it is true that the differences are easily overcome by getting out on deck, the fact that the differences can be overcome does not mean that the difference do not exist.