Alaska cruise late June Holland America packing tips

azroze

What in the world do I pack for an Alaskan cruise on Holland America, late June? Do I need all weather shoes? A rain parka? Fleece? Help!!!thank you

Plan on layers. The weather in Alaska, regardless of time of year, is variable. You can have rain in the morning, sun in the afternoon, or vice versa.

It can be brilliantly warm every day, or rain/hail buckets.

Most of the time it's gray and drizzly (in my experience).

Layers, layers, layers. Warm sweater that I can wear under a waterproof, hooded wind breaker. Hat and gloves and warm socks. But also bring 1 pair shorts since it can be warm. On all 3 cruises I've worn shorts and t-shirts one day and then sweater, windbreaker and slacks the next.

My in-laws just got back from a HAL cruise to Alaska and they said it was still cold. We are going on Princess Grand 8/26 and I'm curious how the weather will be. It will be our first time to Alaska

Jenn aka Muthatruckr

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome to HAL.

For my June HAL cruise to Alaska in two weeks, I am packing: Under Armour Basic 1.0 long underwear, long sleeved shirts, polo shirts, convertible trousers, sweater, Columbia 3 - 1 jacket with zip-out fleece lining, Merrell waterproof hiking shoes, socks, underwear, rain poncho, hat, gloves, USB hand warmer, backpack for camera and removed layers, laptop, binoculars, camera, small umbrella, duct tape, clips to close curtains, multi-outlet electrical outlet adapter, sea bands, anti-nausea tablets, extension cord, portable phone charger, etc.

As a long-time HAL passenger, I take full advantage of the ship's laundry ($49/7-day cruise) and pack for only three days.

Make sure to join your CC HAL roll call.

Enjoy your cruise planning.

Oh my gosh!!! That's so great!!! I'm taking this with me to REI!!!much appreciated!👍🏻

Glad to be of help. Traveling to Alaska is a learning experience as far as packing is concerned. My first experience was to way over pack but now I am wiser.

Plan on buying an Alaska jacket ($19.95) at Tongass Trading Company on the pier in Ketchikan. Reversible with fleece and waterproof sides in many colors.

Welcome to HAL.

For my June HAL cruise to Alaska in two weeks, I am packing: Under Armour Basic 1.0 long underwear, long sleeved shirts, polo shirts, convertible trousers, sweater, Columbia 3 - 1 jacket with zip-out fleece lining, Merrell waterproof hiking shoes, socks, underwear, rain poncho, hat, gloves, USB hand warmer, backpack for camera and removed layers, laptop, binoculars, camera, small umbrella, duct tape, clips to close curtains, multi-outlet electrical outlet adapter, sea bands, anti-nausea tablets, extension cord, portable phone charger, etc.

As a long-time HAL passenger, I take full advantage of the ship's laundry ($49/7-day cruise) and pack for only three days.

Make sure to join your CC HAL roll call.

Enjoy your cruise planning.

I am from Anchorage and on your list I have a cell phone charger, underwear, socks, and a fleece jacket :)

Yes I love HAL laundry, sailing home for my 45th HS Reunion!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I went in May, the first cruise of the season. Warm clothes in layers were needed--jacket, hat, gloves, all that. You probably won't always need it, but you may here and there, especially out on deck while looking at glaciers.

Also, binoculars. Bring binoculars.

It'll be my first time in Alaska in July. I'm taking a coordinating collection based on burgundy, olive, gray, black, brown. That way everything will go together. I have a adirondack coat with button out lining, fleece tops, zip off hiking pants, shorts, capris, sleeveless through long sleeved tops, and my silky long underwear and wool socks. I also have layers for dinners based with a basic black dress and black pants, same colors. I have waterproof low hiking shoes, dress flats, sneakers, and walking sandals.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
What if I'm not hiking and it's raining.. what shoes do you recommend? Thank you!

Can wear hiking shoes even in the rain. They have a good antislip sole.