Bringing Homemade Wine on Board

Sneakie

The only issue I can think of is ABV. They do not allow fortified wines in many cases, so they may not allow it if they can't determine it's wine and not a stronger beverage..

Honestly most of the checkers probably won't care, but there's always one...

And it's $28 per bottle cheaper. :D

If it failed it's because you probably used an unlabeled bottle and didn't even try to reseal it with a new PVC shrink wrap seal. The waiters checking the bottles aren't going to scrutinize every detail of every bottle that come by the desk. Re-corking is done frequently- especially to fill with liquor. Next time save your old wine bottles at home instead of throwing them away & you'll get by every time.

The bottles were relabeled and shrink wrapped and didn't fool anyone. It wasn't me, but an adult friend who makes and bottles his own wine. I couldn't tell the difference, but they could. Go for it, the worst they can do is take it away.

Edited by dtb55

I totally agree ...

next people will be wanting to bring cakes, and home squeezed juice because it is fresher comping from their private juicer...and healthier cause they added vegitables......

I don't think the issue is "homemade". There is no prohibition against the wine being such, so even if they determine that it is homemade, so what? The issue is whether the "waiter" at the table will understand that the contents in the bottle is vitis vinifera as opposed to contraband. No one is suggesting that the labels sold for home use are a dead ringer for commercially produced wine. And as for what is on the label, the labels are completely customizable. You want country of origin? State? county? appellation? vineyard designation? It can all be done. Alcohol percentage? Not sure. Besides. The "waiter type people" are not sommeliers or anything close to it. They are not there to determine if your wine is good, bad, or indifferent. They are only there to determine if it is wine, and how many bottles you have. It's not like you are trying to pass off a homemade wine as Chateau Petrus under the watchful nose and eye of Kevin Zraly. You are simply trying to show some waiter from Who_knows_where_istan that you aren't smuggling on scotch.

As for the last question--beats me. Seems like more trouble than it's worth.

I totally agree ...

next people will be wanting to bring cakes, and home squeezed juice because it is fresher comping from their private juicer...and healthier cause they added vegitables......

No rules against doing these.

They do not allow fortified wines in many cases...

This is interesting. So I should leave my port at home? If I were to risk it, would it be set aside for me until after the cruise or tossed? That would be a spendy loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No rules against doing these.

It may all depend where you are going. My plate lunch pork chops were confiscated when my daughters tried to bring me back the meal from a family (related) restaurant in Kailua-Kona, HI. To this day, I firmly believe that security took it away because they knew how good the pork chops were!

There are definitely rules in Hawaii to what can be brought off and taken on any boat or plane. California also has some very strict rules.

The bottles were relabeled and shrink wrapped and didn't fool anyone. It wasn't me, but an adult friend who makes and bottles his own wine. I couldn't tell the difference, but they could. Go for it, the worst they can do is take it away.

Relabeled? Possibly with his own private label perhaps? Next time reuse a commercially labeled wine bottle (dark glass) with a new cork or even screw top & a new shrunk wrapped top. Otherwise they can shake it to see if the alcohol content is higher than normal for wine. It's impossible to tell what's inside the bottle as it appears to be the original content no matter what's in the bottle.

Well it's been a few days since I've been on here and I must say thanks to everyone who has commented.

To those dishing the "$2 bottle of wine" - it's not that I'm cheap, it's that I'm not a big drinker and have very few drinks that I like. I have found a wine I like and we make it 30 bottles at a time -at $5 per bottle not $2. It is a fruit wine and in properly sealed and corked wine bottles. Just no labels.

I may go to my supplier and get some labels and try to bring a few bottles to enjoy while on ship. If I don't bring my own wine odds are I won't have any drinks at all during the cruise. But that's OK my husband will have my share LOL.

I'm not trying to "cheat the system" or "save a buck". Just trying to enjoy a drink on our vacation like all the rest of you will I am sure.

Edited by Sneakie
wasnt finished ;

As long as you label it and pay the corkage fee I don't see a problem...

Well it's been a few days since I've been on here and I must say thanks to everyone who has commented.

To those dishing the "$2 bottle of wine" - it's not that I'm cheap, it's that I'm not a big drinker and have very few drinks that I like. I have found a wine I like and we make it 30 bottles at a time -at $5 per bottle not $2. It is a fruit wine and in properly sealed and corked wine bottles. Just no labels.

I may go to my supplier and get some labels and try to bring a few bottles to enjoy while on ship. If I don't bring my own wine odds are I won't have any drinks at all during the cruise. But that's OK my husband will have my share LOL.

I'm not trying to "cheat the system" or "save a buck". Just trying to enjoy a drink on our vacation like all the rest of you will I am sure.

We have friends who make marvelous wine. I would happily drink theirs instead of purchased wine. I sure wouldn't think they're cheap or unsophisticated if they brought their own wine on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To the OP, of the ports i have been to, no one looks at the label, they just look when you pull the next from your backpack ( for me) they dint inspect the labels a all, they just look for one per person or two for cabin.... i have done 23 cruses solo i never had a problen, do what you need to do... its all cool with princess.

Home made does not necessarily equal "two buck chuck".

Many homemade wines made for about $5.00 are better than the $50.00 commercial equivalents.

Unfortunately, I agree that it is uncertain you will get it past security.

I agree with the first statement. My homemade wines (made from high-end kits) cost about $5 a bottle, and compare to much more expensive wines. I took two bottles onboard the Star Princess in January, and the wine-table checker only questioned whether they were homemade or not. His only comment was that, since I didn't put shrink-wrap cork seals on the bottles, he recommended I do in the future to show they had not been tampered with.

Edited by MGnut