Spa Review - Ionitherapy

LegalJetpilot

Just came off a Western Caribbean cruise on the Radiance of the Seas. Overall a very nice cruise, with one notable exception; my experience in the spa.

Was on the Honeymoon with the wife and she wanted the couples massage. Nice but overpriced at $260. I live in a resort town and can find it for less and I'm sure with comparable quality.

Now for Ionitherapy. A dinner mate said she'd lost 5 inches from a collection of various areas from her tummy to thighs. I've been fighting a few extra inches around the waist and would enjoy a loss of a few inches to jumpstart the post cruise diet so with her reported success, I signed the wife and I up. $145 per person.

The process involves lying in a bed of special clay/algie with electrodes attached. They run electricity through the electrodes that causes your abs to contract/release for the duration of the treatment, approximately 30 minutes. It feels weird at first, but I ended up cat napping during the process.

Prior to the treatment they mark your measurements on various parts of your body. In my case 3 places along my gut, near the ribs, belly button, and wasteline. For the women they mark a few spots on the thighs too. They note the places and measurements on you using eyeliner. They make quite the production measuring you in plain view, meaning you can see the start of the measuring tape and where your measurement is.

Afterwards they make a point to show you how much fluid you "lost" by noting the dampness beneath the pad you lay on. Then they measure you again. This time they do it behind your back while they ask you how much you think you lost, then make a production of showing you that with only their thumb on the tape at your new measurement. They told me I lost a total of 2.75 inches between the 3 areas measured. Not bad....but.

Being a bit of a skeptic I wondered why we didn't measure me the same way the 2nd time as the first, I then noticed the tape measure on the counter and remeasured the marks this time finding that I'd lost 0, zilch, nada in any of the areas.

Rolling my eyes I chose to not rock the boat as I was on vacation/my honeymoon, and late to dinner, and wasn't really in the mood to "kick some butt and take a few names", so I skipped leaving any tip for either of the sessions and headed off to dinner.

After dinner, this progressively bothered me more so I stopped by Guest Relations who entered my issue in the computer log, which notified the spa, and told me I'd have to take it up with Spa managment the next day, since they were closed.

When I went back to the spa, their manager had seen my issue, and was very defensive, and not at all interested in hearing that I had a problem, much less solving it. She did have me drop back by when the therapist got done with her current session (sucker). I did so and after 10 or so minutes of arguing back and forth with them about how incapabable they "knew" I was when it came to placing a tape measure between two lines written in eyeliner on my body and reading it, they offered me a "free" treatment. My wife had other plans for us at that time so I declined, but I'm sure that would have been a session where I had to figure out their next scam to try to fool me into thinking it had worked that time.

I expressed my displeasure on the Cruise survey they gave us and let RCL that I'd be posting my experience here. I'll be interested in their response.

My wife had experience with a similar therapy after back surgery, it's called a TENS machine and had to be prescribed by her doctor. If you think about the liquid they claim you leach out during the process, it's the water they use from the sink to mix the clay/algie paste they put on you as a conductor of the electricity.

In closing, the phrase "let the buyer beware" applies here and by personal extension to any spa treatment beyond the massage. Normally, I wouldn't have gotten anywhere near this except for the glowing review of my table mate, who merely got duped before I did. I even googled ionitherapy and found less than ten links. One was from Cruisecritic and was not flattering, and a second was from someone else on a cruise and it wasn't flattering either.

I hope others find this and find it useful.

#1 I've always found the "too good to be true" claims too good to be true.

#2 If you do lose any inches at all, it is merely water weight and will return only after a few hours.

I love spa treatments and enjoy them at home and occasionaly on a ship. But I know what they really are, an opportunity to be pampered. I don't believe the wild claims they make about removing toxins from your body (toxins are removed mainly by kidneys and liver, trace amounts perhaps by sweat). I don't believe they can reduce cellulite, perhaps a slight visual change for a short period of time. I don't believe they can permanently remove inches from your body.

Your post is interesting, though, buyers really need to know what exactly they are getting out of the deal. You may have saved another person quite a bit of $$, keeping them from this (other than temporary) useless treatment. It might be OK to do it for a formal night, when pants waistband or the waist of an evening gown is a bit snug.

I signed up for a three-session treatment package, and the first session was so unpleasant that I cancelled the other two (there was a waiting list, so I did get the two sessions refunded to my account).

Unfortunately, I didn't even have a temporary reduction in weight/size; my clothes fit exactly the same. I am a pretty small size in the first place, so I think I would have noticed any change.

Please do not waste your $$$ on these treatments!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Whenever I take the spa tour I get the same sales pitch' date=' but something always just sounded a bit fishy. I'm glad to hear from somebody who's actually done it![/font']

I come to these types of websites to find out the things that I posted. This was a bit of an impulse purchase, with my tablemate's endorsement providing the impulse. Just an annoying reminder to do my homework before throwing money around the next time.

At this point my money is lost, but if sharing my experience spreads the word to stay away from these ripoffs, and the spa business suffers as a result, then I'll consider it even.

Happy sailing....

My cruise roomie was told she lost 8 inches with this theraphy and was quite taken with it. Some are happy with it.

My only comment to her was they measured similar places, so if you lot one inch, and then they measure up on the same area, its still the same inch, but she was thrilled with the results.

My cruise roomie was told she lost 8 inches with this theraphy and was quite taken with it. Some are happy with it.

My only comment to her was they measured similar places, so if you lot one inch, and then they measure up on the same area, its still the same inch, but she was thrilled with the results.

My tablemate was thrilled also, until I shared my results and how they weren't likely real results. If I'd taken what the therapist said at face value, I'd have been happier too. :( Maybe I just should have, fyi my wife noticed no difference despite being told she lost 3 inches, but didn't catch how they did the 2nd measurement as I happened to.

I was accused by the spa staff of just being pissed that I'd only lost 2.75 inches, nearly an inch from each of the 3 areas, vs the 5 of my tablemate, or the 8 they claim on others. My reply, "If I'd actually lost the 2.75 inches you said, I'd have been thrilled."

My big issue is the lies they told. If they so vigorously defended the ones they told me, I'd be willing to bet the $290 that they are lying to others, including your cruise roomie.

They know you want to lose some inches, the hook you up to some stuff that creates the illusion of work, and tell you that you lost some. I believe they call that the power of suggestion. I'm pleased that the Texas Hold'em players reimbersed my loss through their contributions at the poker table. :)

The spas have been seeing less and less of me each time we cruise (and I don't mean weight wise!) My last visit I was informed about the "toxins" in my body and ended up with a migraine. I took the $800 worth of product just to shut her up. 2 hrs later my husband and I went back to return the products. Of course they were very unhappy but did take them back. Princess' line is that the spas are runned by Steiner, but admit they are utimately responsible. The last 2 cruises I didn't even bother with the spa. Will I use them again? Probably, but with a warning at the beginning of the treatment that I don't want any products, don't go there and it will reflect in the tip. Nothing worse than being relaxed and then stressed out by the hardsell tactics.

The last 2 cruises I didn't even bother with the spa. Will I use them again? Probably, but with a warning at the beginning of the treatment that I don't want any products, don't go there and it will reflect in the tip. Nothing worse than being relaxed and then stressed out by the hardsell tactics.

I enjoy getting a facial when I'm on a cruise and before I have one I tell the person that I'm there for a fabulous treatment and not a sales pitch. I never have a problem.

To the OP,

Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry it happened to you.

OP, thanks for sharing your story. That kind of behavior is one reason that I try to find a place in port or at home before/after the cruise to get a treatment.

It really is appalling what kinds of stories the techs will make up to get you to buy products or be convinced that they gave you a miracle treatment. On our second cruise (before I knew better), I had my first and last facial onboard. The tech showed me a vertical line between my eyebrows, then put on a headband to hold my hair back while she did the facial. It was nice & relaxing and did get a lot of stuff out of my pores, but then she tried to convince me that the line was gone. I took off the headband and said, "oops! There it is again!" All she had done was stretch it out temporarily with the band.

I will still splurge on a treatment now & then, but now I put almost no information other than my name on the questionnaire so they don't have any opening to say, "oh, I see you drink coffee..." because that will also lead to a pitch. I also put, in the space where they ask what you want from your treatment, "NO SALES PITCH." I haven't had a problem since doing that.

It's really a shame that the hard sell approach still lives, but it must be profitable for them or they wouldn't press the techs to do all of that.

Took me a minute to figure out OP :D .

I just hope this thread is the beginning of the end of the hard sell. It's places like CruiseCritic that allow us to share the experience and learn from each other, or our successes and mistakes.

Happy sailing

I get treatments for the relaxation factor only. I don't expect anything, even from massages. I got a facial last time. It wasn't as productive as my regular facials, but it sure did feel good!

I fill out their little forms and when they ask me I tell them I get regular facials & massages (I don't really get regular massages!) so they know I'm just there to relax, not buy.

LegalJetPilot, I thought you might find this interesting . . . I just found a thread on the Princess board from a lady whose fiance wanted to try this treatment, but she wondered if it was the real deal. So, of course, I linked her to this thread.

See, your good deed just keeps growing and growing! :D

I was pleasantly surprised (after reading these boards) to NOT have a hard sell thrown at me in the spa on the Jewel earlier this month. I took advantage of the in-port "mix & match" special and got a lime and ginger salt scrub and a 25 min massage. When I filled out the paperwork, in the space regarding what I wanted from the treatment, I put "pampering". For my current skin care regimen, I put "soap & water". The (really cute) spa attendant questioned the soap and water - I told him, I don't fuss with my hair, I don't wear makeup, soap & water is working fine, why mess with it? The only sales pitch I got was at the end; he mentioned that if I wanted to keep pampering myself at home, I could buy the milk bath and/or salt scrub. I grinned at him and he dropped the subject.

I have found that the best way to start off a cruise is with a deep tissue massage, and drink lots of fluids afterwards. This does more to relieve toxins and lose weight than any of the fancy exotic treatments, and is also good therapy for you . I have on occasion gotten the seaweed wrap in conjunction with a massage, it does an okay job of exfoliating the skin, and somehow helps me get a better looking tan:confused: .

Part of the treatment is frame of mind, if you feel good, and think somethings working its sets a positive atutude for the rest of the cruise. If you get a treatment, or simply bad treatmnet from the spa it sits in your mind and makes the cruise less enjoyable.

My advice is stick with the less exotic true and tried proceedures like deep tissue massage or reflexology.....You'll save money and be happier with the results.

Dave:eek:

My first cruise was in 2003 on Navigator of the Seas- only thing abut the trip that I regret is doing this! I originally went for a massage which I had saved up for but having been just diagnosed with Lupus I was ready to hear the pitch on ridding me of toxins. I didn't feel any better -bought nothing and missed the massage.

2nd cruise is next week(!) and I am ready for a massage - and i will have it!

Thanks for posting!

Just came off a Western Caribbean cruise on the Radiance of the Seas. Overall a very nice cruise, with one notable exception; my experience in the spa.

Was on the Honeymoon with the wife and she wanted the couples massage. Nice but overpriced at $260. I live in a resort town and can find it for less and I'm sure with comparable quality.

Now for Ionitherapy. A dinner mate said she'd lost 5 inches from a collection of various areas from her tummy to thighs. I've been fighting a few extra inches around the waist and would enjoy a loss of a few inches to jumpstart the post cruise diet so with her reported success, I signed the wife and I up. $145 per person.

The process involves lying in a bed of special clay/algie with electrodes attached. They run electricity through the electrodes that causes your abs to contract/release for the duration of the treatment, approximately 30 minutes. It feels weird at first, but I ended up cat napping during the process.

Prior to the treatment they mark your measurements on various parts of your body. In my case 3 places along my gut, near the ribs, belly button, and wasteline. For the women they mark a few spots on the thighs too. They note the places and measurements on you using eyeliner. They make quite the production measuring you in plain view, meaning you can see the start of the measuring tape and where your measurement is.

Afterwards they make a point to show you how much fluid you "lost" by noting the dampness beneath the pad you lay on. Then they measure you again. This time they do it behind your back while they ask you how much you think you lost, then make a production of showing you that with only their thumb on the tape at your new measurement. They told me I lost a total of 2.75 inches between the 3 areas measured. Not bad....but.

Being a bit of a skeptic I wondered why we didn't measure me the same way the 2nd time as the first, I then noticed the tape measure on the counter and remeasured the marks this time finding that I'd lost 0, zilch, nada in any of the areas.

Rolling my eyes I chose to not rock the boat as I was on vacation/my honeymoon, and late to dinner, and wasn't really in the mood to "kick some butt and take a few names", so I skipped leaving any tip for either of the sessions and headed off to dinner.

After dinner, this progressively bothered me more so I stopped by Guest Relations who entered my issue in the computer log, which notified the spa, and told me I'd have to take it up with Spa managment the next day, since they were closed.

When I went back to the spa, their manager had seen my issue, and was very defensive, and not at all interested in hearing that I had a problem, much less solving it. She did have me drop back by when the therapist got done with her current session (sucker). I did so and after 10 or so minutes of arguing back and forth with them about how incapabable they "knew" I was when it came to placing a tape measure between two lines written in eyeliner on my body and reading it, they offered me a "free" treatment. My wife had other plans for us at that time so I declined, but I'm sure that would have been a session where I had to figure out their next scam to try to fool me into thinking it had worked that time.

I expressed my displeasure on the Cruise survey they gave us and let RCL that I'd be posting my experience here. I'll be interested in their response.

My wife had experience with a similar therapy after back surgery, it's called a TENS machine and had to be prescribed by her doctor. If you think about the liquid they claim you leach out during the process, it's the water they use from the sink to mix the clay/algie paste they put on you as a conductor of the electricity.

In closing, the phrase "let the buyer beware" applies here and by personal extension to any spa treatment beyond the massage. Normally, I wouldn't have gotten anywhere near this except for the glowing review of my table mate, who merely got duped before I did. I even googled ionitherapy and found less than ten links. One was from Cruisecritic and was not flattering, and a second was from someone else on a cruise and it wasn't flattering either.

I hope others find this and find it useful.

Several of us had the ionitherapy treatment last spring with very obvious results. We were so pleased that on the next cruise we went for another treatment. The results were not as dramatic as before but we were still pleased. Going into it we were very sceptical but were pleasantly surprised and the inches lost did not come back. We were offered additional detox products to use at home but were never pressured into buying them and we didn't. Realizing that everyone is different, the three of us had a positive experience with the treatment.

I agree with jaybird from SC.

I too had the Ionithermie treatment - once on Monarch of the Seas and the other on Freedom of the Seas, and experienced great results.

I guess results vary with each person, and I got lucky. I was delighted that I could fit into my board shorts the following morning and into my gown for formal night without having to tug at the zippers - no more bulges - now this is a real plus!!!!!

Archived