Signature Express Baggage

Silver sailor

While browsing HAL's web site noticed that they have the "Signature Express Baggage Service" which will deliver your luggage directly to the air carrier from the ship.

Wouuld appreciate any information any one can give on this service

Assume that there is a fee, but more importantly the reliabilty of the service

Thanks for any input

While browsing HAL's web site noticed that they have the "Signature Express Baggage Service" which will deliver your luggage directly to the air carrier from the ship.

Thanks for any input

Did you notice the ports where is was available and which ships provide this service? I only saw US ports listed, and 9 of the HAL ships. It also says not all airlines are contracted for this service. I've read that the price is $10-15 and someone else said this was a per bag charge. I don't know anything definite but there was another thread here in the last several weeks.

We plan to use this service in Ft. L. if Delta is one of the airlines included.

GN

We used this out of Seattle in June. There were a number of airlines listed and your flight had to leave after noon (or it might have been after 1pm). The charge was $15 per person. It worked very well and we found our luggage waiting for us at DFW with no problems. The airlines can refuse you and your luggage as I understand. You will receive a form in your cabin offering this the second or third day of your cruise. It worked for us and I would definately recommend it and use it again.

We used the service last December in FLL when disembarking the Volendam the beginning of Christmas holiday weekend. At that time, I believe it was still a pilot program/experiment ... we paid $10/person and all went well, just like clockwork.

The price likely has gone up, as grannynurse indicated, but the service was flawless. If I recall correctly, the legacy carriers (DL, NW, UA, AA, etc) participated ... and your departure flight needed to be after something like 1PM. Also, we were limited to 2 checked bags/person. No bag weigh-in at the pier ... maybe that was dealt with at the airport. We received a flyer mid-cruise in our stateroom asking if we'd be interested.

From comments on other threads, I understand that even if you meet the described guidelines, there are no guarantees. For whatever unknown reason, it is possible that you may be removed from the program the night before disembarkation. One member said that she was allowed to participate, while here husband (a U.S. citizen born in Germany) was denied.

We hope to participate again this December ... as we will disembark at the beginning of the Christmas weekend. Even at $15/person, it's a bargain ... saved us much aggravation and long lines last year.

From comments on other threads, I understand that even if you meet the described guidelines, there are no guarantees. For whatever unknown reason, it is possible that you may be removed from the program the night before disembarkation. One member said that she was allowed to participate, while here husband (a U.S. citizen born in Germany) was denied.

We used the service in Seattle, in May. It was made clear to us, at that time, that we were requesting the service and that our request could be denied for reasons unknown. Sure enough, at the 11th hour, we learned that my husband's request was denied while my request was accepted. No one knew why. I have speculated that it is possible the reason for denial is that my husband was born in Germany 60 years ago. It might also have been a random rejection.

Neither HAL or it's service provider make the final call. So it's either the airline or TSA who decides to accept or decline, based upon unknown criteria.

I received a special tag and left my bag outside the cabin door. The next time I saw it was in the baggage claim area, upon our arrival, at ORD. The service also included a boarding pass. The cost, at that time, was $15.00 a bag.

Putting aside the rejection of my husband's request, the service was flawless. Having said this, there was uncertainty on my part that the luggage made the flight. Given I was homebound, it was not a big deal.

Even though I benefited from this service, the concept troubles me for the obvious reason that passengers and their luggage are separated. It seems counter-productive to aircraft security. And for this reason, I probably will not use it again and although convenient, it makes me uncomfortable knowing it's another loophole in the system.

I agree with the security question and the fact that the passenger and the bag stands a chance of being seperated. I would imagine that the TSA closely moniters this possibilty and this is the reason for the time restrictions. Since the form you give the Front Desk asks for the time and flight number you are departing on and also the tag you are given when you are accepted for the service also must contain this information this would allow the TSA to check to make sure you have checked in for your flight when you are given your boarding pass that accompanies the tags for your bags. There is always a loop-hole somewhere, this is a great service and a wonderful convenience for HAL passengers. Hopefully it can continue with no problems.

I agree with the security question and the fact that the passenger and the bag stands a chance of being seperated. I would imagine that the TSA closely moniters this possibilty and this is the reason for the time restrictions. Since the form you give the Front Desk asks for the time and flight number you are departing on and also the tag you are given when you are accepted for the service also must contain this information this would allow the TSA to check to make sure you have checked in for your flight when you are given your boarding pass that accompanies the tags for your bags. There is always a loop-hole somewhere, this is a great service and a wonderful convenience for HAL passengers. Hopefully it can continue with no problems.

I agree with the security question and the fact that the passenger and the bag stands a chance of being seperated.

Passengers being separated from their luggage is a necessary part of the deal. I did not see my luggage for 18 hours after I left it outside my cabin.

We can only hope that contents are thoroughly investigated and someone is making sure that the passenger is on the flight with their luggage.

We just got back from Alaska glacier cruise on Noordam. We paid $15 per person for Signature Express Service at the end of the cruise in Seattle. On the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise, we filled out a couple of forms with our flight information. The last day of the cruise, the ship delivered to our cabin our airline luggage tags for our suitcases and our boarding passes for our flight! We put the tags on our luggage and set the luggage outside our cabin around midnight the last night of the cruise. HAL checked them right through to our final destination (Washington DC). We got off the ship and walked right through the terminal without having to do anything with luggage. We had a nice brunch with friends from the Seattle area and then took a cab to the Seattle airport. There, all we had to do was go through security and right to our airline gate because we already had our boarding passes. When we got to Washington DC (Reagan airport), our three bags were the first ones off the baggage carousel. This made our half-day in Seattle so pleasant, not to have to deal with our bags at all. Caveats: Only some of the airlines participate and your flight has to be 1 p.m. or later (at least in Seattle). Bonus: There is no extra charge for Signature Express service if you take certain shore excursions/tours at the end of your cruise (the cost is bundled into the cost of the excursion), and the bus takes you to Seattle airport. Not sure they do this at other destination ports. Hope this is helpful.

We were on the Westerdam in February and signed up for the Express baggage. My husband was in a wheel chair and they made us stay so long in the Explorer's lounge before he could get someone to help him, that we missed the truck. It was a zoo. The idea is a good one, but like everything else in FLL, it could have been more organized. At that time, it was $10 per bag.

Bonus: There is no extra charge for Signature Express service if you take certain shore excursions/tours at the end of your cruise (the cost is bundled into the cost of the excursion), and the bus takes you to Seattle airport. Not sure they do this at other destination ports. Hope this is helpful.

Move-up:

When it works, it works. And I am glad it worked for you as it did for me. Too bad about my husband though.;)

I am curious about your shore excursion comment. In May, the pre-flight Seattle shore excursions meant your luggage was loaded on the excursion bus with the passengers. In otherwords, passengers and their luggage were all on the same bus.

The one constant in cruising is that things constantly change.

We were on the Westerdam in February and signed up for the Express baggage. My husband was in a wheel chair and they made us stay so long in the Explorer's lounge before he could get someone to help him, that we missed the truck. It was a zoo. The idea is a good one, but like everything else in FLL, it could have been more organized. At that time, it was $10 per bag.

Nasmas,

It sounds as though you may have signed up for a shuttle to the airport which is different than than the express luggage service where the passengers are free to do their own thing in port, pre flight or perhaps, I am misunderstanding you.

We just got back from Alaska glacier cruise on Noordam. We paid $15 per person for Signature Express Service at the end of the cruise in Seattle. On the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise, we filled out a couple of forms with our flight information. The last day of the cruise, the ship delivered to our cabin our airline luggage tags for our suitcases and our boarding passes for our flight! We put the tags on our luggage and set the luggage outside our cabin around midnight the last night of the cruise. HAL checked them right through to our final destination (Washington DC). We got off the ship and walked right through the terminal without having to do anything with luggage. We had a nice brunch with friends from the Seattle area and then took a cab to the Seattle airport. There, all we had to do was go through security and right to our airline gate because we already had our boarding passes. When we got to Washington DC (Reagan airport), our three bags were the first ones off the baggage carousel. This made our half-day in Seattle so pleasant, not to have to deal with our bags at all. Caveats: Only some of the airlines participate and your flight has to be 1 p.m. or later (at least in Seattle). Bonus: There is no extra charge for Signature Express service if you take certain shore excursions/tours at the end of your cruise (the cost is bundled into the cost of the excursion), and the bus takes you to Seattle airport. Not sure they do this at other destination ports. Hope this is helpful.

This was my experience also in FLL in April - everything worked as advertised.:D I did have to pick up the luggage in the port terminal and take it through Customs (took about 2 minutes), but I understand that at other ports, the passengers don't even see the bags from the time they put them out at night until they arrive at their destination airport. It was the best $15 that I spent on the whole cruise. (I hadn't paid any attention to the excursion possibility though.)

US Air was not a participant when we sailed the Zuiderdam in/out of FLL this past April. Hope they join the program soon. I think this is a great service! Especially for those of us with flights later in the afternoon.

Thanks for any input

I have not used this on any cruise, but I have used it at a few hotels, which include providing a boarding pass. That makes it get to the airport and stright ot security and our gate. I wish the ship would add boarding apsse to this service. I would pay a small fee for it.

Archived