I DID it!! I refused a Free Upgrade!!!

IRL_Joanie

I said I would not accept a Free upgrade offer from my SC aft Wraparound to a Penthouse IF it ever came, and I stuck to my guns!!!

Just got a Free Upgrade offer to the Penthouse on our Caribbean cruise in just a little ofer a week. I said No thank you, I am happy with my SC Aft wraparound!!

So, Someone on the 28 November Nieuw Amsterdam cruise is going to get a SUITE Sweet offer!!

OMG, the offers do happen !!!!

Joanie

Holy Moly Batman!!! Swami - you're a better woman than me. As much as I would LOVE an aft wrap balcony, I don't think I'd be able to turn down the Penthouse Suite.:rolleyes: But you go, girl, you stuck to your guns and it is obviously the RIGHT decision for you. I think you'll be seeing some VERY happy folks strolling out of that PH Suite while on your cruise - maybe you should stop and tell them they owe ya one! LOL! ENJOY!

Congratulations on being able to stick with your resolve, but it's not something I would have done for this reason: your chances of getting another SC wrap-around in the future are MUCH higher than ever getting an offer of a free penthouse again. :)

Congratulations on being able to stick with your resolve, but it's not something I would have done for this reason: your chances of getting another SC wrap-around in the future are MUCH higher than ever getting an offer of a free penthouse again. :)
My thoughts exactly! ;) I have SC4180 booked on Zuiderdam and am very happy. However, I think I'd have a hard time turning down a penthouse. The opportunity may never happen again.

Wow!! Did you refuse because of the wrap around balcony???

Yes, I specifically have chosen this SC aft Wraparound on NA and my next also on the Zuiderdam. I want the aft view and size.

In my feelings, the aft wrap around is a bigger plus to me than the amenities of a Penthouse.

Hubby, thank goodness is not home or he and I might have had the biggest argument of our marriage (even though I told him I would refuse an upgrade) LOL Wait till he gets home and it is to late... Hehehehehe

Joanie

It is the Aft Wrap Arounds that I want John:) So I am happy. Besides, someone else might need it more, someone with more than 2 adults in their party....

Joanie

I think I'd have a hard time turning down a penthouse. The opportunity may never happen again.

If I were cruising alone, I would feel the exact same way.

However I'm booked in a Deck 8 corner SB for this February's cruise w/ my parents in the adjacent VA and other friends next to them along the row - If I were offered the upgrade to a PH for this cruise, I'd have to think twice but would likely decline as well since I'd rather have my parents and friends right next door.

:)

Holy Moly Batman!!! Swami - you're a better woman than me. As much as I would LOVE an aft wrap balcony, I don't think I'd be able to turn down the Penthouse Suite.:rolleyes:

And me!

I've had the aft wraparound life... Free upgrade to PH??? the only hesitation would be while picking my jaw up off the floor.

But as long as you are happy Joanie... then that's what matters!

Wow, I have never heard of HAL offering anyone a FREE upgrade to the Penthouse Suite!

Do you think they got no takers when offering an upsell?

It would have been impossible for me to turn that down, because I'm not tied to any cabin, on the wake or not!

[Of course I doubt the Penthouse is HC accessible ... so in reality I would have to turn it down. :(]

I'm with JTL on this one -- you can get an SC wrap-around any old time.

But the Penthouse -- as a free upgrade? Unheard of!!! :eek:

And what was your reason for not sending it my way???

:confused:

Glad you are happy with the wraparound! :D

Uh, Ben... Cause I is blond? And after picking my jaw up off the floor, as another CC member said theirs would be, I had to refuse as fast as I could so that I did not lose my resolve to stick with SC 6164. I really really really want that aft wrap around more than a hot tub on the verandah and gold plated faucets. Even the thought of fresh coffee brewed in the kitchen could not turn my mind:)

I am sorry to all my M&G peeps that I never even thought to ask them to see if one of you wanted it:o

Joanie

What I don't understand is why turning down the PH is worthy of congratulations and looked at by some as showing great character and resolve? Why? There is a reason the PH is priced as it is, far above all other cabins and a great deal more than an SB aft. To turn down the best cabin on the ship and the chance to enjoy the best HAL has to offer with all its luxury and service at no extra cost is a personal decision, of course, but unexplainable. The SB will always be there; the PH is an experience that probably won't come again. I do feel sorry DH didn't get the chance to be in on the decision anyway.

What I don't understand is why turning down the PH is worthy of congratulations and looked at by some as showing great character and resolve? Why? There is a reason the PH is priced as it is' date=' far above all other cabins and a great deal more than an SB aft. To turn down the best cabin on the ship and the chance to enjoy the best HAL has to offer with all its luxury and service at no extra cost is a personal decision, of course, but unexplainable. The SB will always be there; the PH is an experience that probably won't come again. I do feel sorry DH didn't get the chance to be in on the decision anyway.[/quote']OP is happy so I guess that's all that matters. The rest of us don't have to understand. I don't know how happy her husband will be when he finds out what happened. I think my husband would also, understandably, be upset if I turned down a free (or even nominally priced) upgrade to the PH. I love aft cabins and book cruises early just so I can get one. However, I would give it up for a penthouse because I know I wouldn't be able to afford the penthouse any other way. That's probably a once-in-a-lifetime offer. I hope to have plenty of other opportunities to enjoy the aft cabins.

HAL, if you're listening, my Zuiderdam cruise is for hubby's 40th birthday. If an offer for a free penthouse or even an upsell comes along, please keep that in mind. :D;):p

What I don't understand is why turning down the PH is worthy of congratulations and looked at by some as showing great character and resolve? Why? There is a reason the PH is priced as it is' date=' far above all other cabins and a great deal more than an SB aft. To turn down the best cabin on the ship and the chance to enjoy the best HAL has to offer with all its luxury and service at no extra cost is a personal decision, of course, but unexplainable. The SB will always be there; the PH is an experience that probably won't come again. I do feel sorry DH didn't get the chance to be in on the decision anyway.[/quote']

The view IS the most important to me, more than any Luxury as you call it.

Hubby was in on the decision months ago when I told him I would refuse any offer of an upgrade to SA, SB or PH. No matter the cost, I would refuse it as THIS is MY cruise, hubby booked this one without asking me. He did it as a Birthday/Anniversary present for me. He booked it when I was in a great deal of pain in the hopes that this cruise would take my mind off the pain. Therefore, even though I do not have to justify my reasoning to you or anyone else, I have.

Besides the fact that I have a wonderful husband (of 40 years) who also wishes to have more tha a one sided view of where we are going. In the Aft Wrap around, we have the luxury of seeing where we are, where we are going and where we have been.

Just my opinion.

Joanie

Okay ... lucky you mentioned you're blond and I'm going to assume you were born that way because no other explanation suffices.

I'm not getting it at all. Have you seen the size of the PH? And you think an aft wraparound is better?:confused::confused::confused:

I don't think anyone actually needs a PH. But that is a once in a lifetime opportunity and turning it down just makes no sense to me at all.

You sure you weren't having a dream of some kind? I was once offered the PH upgrade for a price (and while not full price still a pretty hefty amount), but like someone else mentioned, this may be an absolute first.

Someone else is a very happy camper.:D

Yes, I specifically have chosen this SC aft Wraparound on NA and my next also on the Zuiderdam. I want the aft view and size.

In my feelings, the aft wrap around is a bigger plus to me than the amenities of a Penthouse.

Hubby, thank goodness is not home or he and I might have had the biggest argument of our marriage (even though I told him I would refuse an upgrade) LOL Wait till he gets home and it is to late... Hehehehehe

Joanie

Heck, I would have taken the PH for the 2 bathrooms and outdoor jacuzzi alone...not to mention the microwave!

Good for you. Everyone has their priorities...2 toilets would be the deal maker!

It is the Aft Wrap Arounds that I want John:) So I am happy. Besides, someone else might need it more, someone with more than 2 adults in their party....

Joanie

So, what you turned down was not really an upgrade to your way of thinking -- it was something that you did not want as much as the aft

wrap-around which you had booked.

If I had booked a verandah cabin on a HAL ship and someone offered me an "upgrade" to the largest suite on Oasis of the Seas (improbable as that would be), I would turn them down cold. An "upgrade" is really only an upgrade if it represents a switch to something you prefer more.

If I want to rent a compact car from Avis, I would not consider them switching me to a Hummer as any sort of an upgrade.

The view IS the most important to me, more than any Luxury as you call it.

(snip)

Joanie

Joanie, bravo to you for knowing what YOU want and sticking with it. If you would have taken the PH it sounds like you would have regretted it. This is a great lesson for us here to see things from multiple perspectives.

So, what you turned down was not really an upgrade to your way of thinking -- it was something that you did not want as much as the aft

wrap-around which you had booked.

If I had booked a verandah cabin on a HAL ship and someone offered me an "upgrade" to the largest suite on Oasis of the Seas (improbable as that would be), I would turn them down cold. An "upgrade" is really only an upgrade if it represents a switch to something you prefer more.

If I want to rent a compact car from Avis, I would not consider them switching me to a Hummer as any sort of an upgrade.

Well said! :)

Okay ... lucky you mentioned you're blond and I'm going to assume you were born that way because no other explanation suffices........

I'm with you Heather! I'm sure DH would send for the men in white jackets if I ever turned down a free upgrade to the PH. The private hot tub alone would make it worth it to me. :D

An offer like this happens once in a life time, whereas an aft wraparound balcony can be booked any time. I have to admit, I'm totally baffled.

Archived