Please Explain Back-to-Back Cruising

lovedogs

How does b2b cruising work? Do most people do the same itinerary twice? What's the best way to find the deals w/o using a travel agent -or is it best to use a ta?

Thanks for any info :)

Lindsay

How does b2b cruising work? Do most people do the same itinerary twice? What's the best way to find the deals w/o using a travel agent -or is it best to use a ta?

Thanks for any info :)

Lindsay

Most, but not all, people who do a B2B do two different itineraries. For example eastern and western caribbean. So will turn a one way into a round trip, such as Alaska north followed by Alaska south.

To my knowledge, there is no financial incentive to cruise back-to-back from the cruiselines. The only financial benefit is getting twice as much cruising from one set of airfares to and from the port (assuming you have to fly to get there, and since you're from the city of my birth, you will).

Some people will do the same itinerary two weeks in a row, others look for ships which alternate between two routes, eg, an Eastern Caribbean and a Western Caribbean.

From a logistics perspective, if you are able to book the same cabin for both legs of the trip, you only have to unpack and repack once! If you end up in different cabins, the cabin attendants will help you move your stuff.

BTW, if you love dogs and live in Milwaukee, I should introduce you to my sister! She lives in Kiel with her husband - and about 12 dogs! :)

To my knowledge, there is no financial incentive to cruise back-to-back from the cruiselines.
HAL markets some 14-20 day (and longer) cruises that are also sold as 2 shorter cruises (7 or 10 days). From our experience, the cost of the longer cruise is less than 2x the shorter cruises - a savings for us.

Back to back is especially common in the Caribbean. A ship sails from lets say, Barbados, for 6 days calling at up to 5 ports & ends up back at Barbados on the 7th. Then off for another week to different islands & back to Barbados. Third week it's back to the first week's itinerary.

For the cruise line this means the same ship can carry 7 and 14 day cruisers, and for the cruiser it means the opportunity to join on any week for a fortnights cruising.

Some cruisers elect to cruise a week then stay a week in a hotel, in this case in Barbados.

The upsides are all about flexibility, and a full day at the departure point (Barbados) on day 7 as well as on "airport" days . Also means that not all cruisers join the ship on the same day, easing queues for boarding etc. And when you join, there'll be others who joined a week ago who can help you with hints about the ship and about your second week's ports of call - which they did the previous week.

No real downsides compared to a straight 14 day cruise, except that late bookers may have a cabin change, and some lines issue a fresh seapass/account each week.

Its a neat arrangement

John Bull

We are doing one on the Oasis next year. For us, a weeks vacation is just not enough especially for a cruise where we have to fly from Seattle to Florida. If we are going to fly that far, we want to stay for at least 2 weeks. So we are doing Eastern the first week and then Western the second. We figure it will take that much time just to explore the whole ship!

WE have done quite a few back-to-back cruises.

With the hassle of flying -- doing a 7 or 10 day cruise just isn't worth it.

Back-to-back cruises means that we are on the ship for 14 - 20 (and sometimes longer) days.

We always book far enough in advance that we get the same cabin for both cruises.

most B2B's are the same itinerary twice. We are doing a B2B on Elation in a few weeks. We booked through the cruise line figuring it will be easier to update the booking and make any changes. Turned out it worked out...we got the same cabin for both legs without a problem and got upgraded from Inside to OV. The first cruise is a 4 night and the 2nd one a 3 night...first cruise has a stop in Catalina, 2nd one doesnt...should be fun

I did B2B because it was too far from the UK to the caribbean for one week, also I find a one week cruise a torment and it just goes too quickly.

I did the same itinery but still loved it as I did different tours on the islands each time.

I wish I could live on a ship

It is a way to cruise longer from the same port. I lived in Milwaukee for about 35 years.

Sometimes back to back cruises are repositioning cruises.

Currently, I know of someone who is doing 3 cruises in succession: Auckland NZ to Hawaii, Hawaii to San Diego, San Diego to Vancouver. They could have done a fourth: Vancouver to Seward (Alaska).

We will be doing two: Singapore to Dubai, then Dubai to Rome.

We've got a 2 x b2b booked with RCI (3 separate cruises 4+5+5 days). For us it means just one set of flights to/from the UK, more islands to visit plus it elevates our status from Platinum to Diamond in just one trip because we get a C&A cruise credit for each cruise.

Carol

We have found that by booking the last (sometimes, the last two different cruises) before a ship repositions, then staying aboard for the repositioning gives us the most enjoyable and best value cruise. We like long cruises, and the choices are limited unless b2b's are considered. Finished a 65 day Grand Voyage on HAL Amsterdam in Nov 08, and could have enjoyed longer.

Archived