RCI Alcoholic Drink Prices

The price of alcoholic beverages has increased over the past few years despite the recession and this has paricularly hit the Brits due in part to the falling rate of the £ against the $. Is this situation resulting in so many threads on "how to smuggle liquor on board" and reports of overcrowding of the naughty room.:):):) Is it time RCI dropped their prices and maybe increased their revenue due to increased consumption.:confused::confused: or are they already making enough profit. Would you drink more if the prices were lower.:rolleyes: Any thoughts

The price of alcoholic beverages has increased over the past few years despite the recession and this has paricularly hit the Brits due in part to the falling rate of the £ against the $. Is this situation resulting in so many threads on "how to smuggle liquor on board" and reports of overcrowding of the naughty room.:):):) Is it time RCI dropped their prices and maybe increased their revenue due to increased consumption.:confused::confused: or are they already making enough profit. Would you drink more if the prices were lower.:rolleyes: Any thoughts

They do this on every cruise. If their revenue numbers from the bars are running below target for that cruise, then they run specials (toofers, tastings, etc) if they're over their numbers, not so much.

Remember, each department on the ship is its own P&L center, but the ship has an overall revenue number that it has to hit every cruise, so if excursions are down because of bad weather, or the shops aren't doing enough business, then another department has to make up the difference. In short, if a line lowered its drink prices, it would in all likelihood, raise the price on something else to compensate. Otherwise, the Hotel Manager would quickly be looking for his next gig.

grey goose on the rocks $7.00

French martini $8.00

Mojito $6.00

Malibu Baybreeze $6.00

Mango Mai Tai $6.00

Bahama Mama $8.25

Mango Mojito $5.75

Mimosa $7.75

Malibu $5.50

Pina Colada $6.25

Peach Daquiri 6.75

Frozen Mojito $7.00

Mocha Berry Coffee $6.00

Bottle Pelligrino $6.75

Just went through my receipts for you. Just back from Explorer yesterday.

Do most folks think these are expensive drink prices?

Mixed drink prices seem to compare with restaurant prices around here...but wine!?! MDR last week had a big choice of 1-2 wines by the glass @ $14/glass! No thanks! I'll pass & have it later at the bar at $7-9 per & a variety to choose from. The sad part is that at $7 we'd probably have several, but at $14-none. This doesn't seem to be a good business practice. Then there is the automatic 15% gratuity-gotta love it, since if it wasn't mandated we usually tip 20%! Thanks for saving us 5%!

French martini $8.00

Mojito $6.00

Malibu Baybreeze $6.00

Mango Mai Tai $6.00

Bahama Mama $8.25

Mango Mojito $5.75

Mimosa $7.75

Malibu $5.50

Pina Colada $6.25

Peach Daquiri 6.75

Frozen Mojito $7.00

Mocha Berry Coffee $6.00

Bottle Pelligrino $6.75

Just back from Adventure and a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc came out at $47.58 which converted to £32.96 which I considered expensive.

French martini $8.00

Mojito $6.00

Malibu Baybreeze $6.00

Mango Mai Tai $6.00

Bahama Mama $8.25

Mango Mojito $5.75

Mimosa $7.75

Malibu $5.50

Pina Colada $6.25

Peach Daquiri 6.75

Frozen Mojito $7.00

Mocha Berry Coffee $6.00

Bottle Pelligrino $6.75

Does any one know if prices are the same across the fleet or are they adjusted dependent on the departure port:)

I think the mixed drink prices are very reasonable; Cheesecake Factory has worse drink prices.

The cheaper wines seem to have a higher markup by the bottle compared to the midpriced ones. I have always found wines for $6, 7, 9/glass on the MDR menu.

IMHO, RCL would increase overall total profits by lowering their wine prices a bit. Case in point: We recently sailed the Oasis. First night, we ordered a bottle of 2007 Ravenswood Zinfandel. Our cost was $40.25 (receipt before me as I write). The wine sells locally for $7.99 which means that RCL enjoys a 500% markup. My belief is that if RCL marked up their wines only 300-400% then much, much more would be sold. (Some might agree with me also that it is more likely a guest will spend more on other items after enjoying a glass or two of a good red wine (or otherwise.)) Although we normally consume a bottle per evening meal, on this trip we decided not to do so after the first night and simply drop by the DL or CL for a before dinner drink.

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=2363289020/PictureID=80781669020/a=266752020_266752020/

Although we normally consume a bottle per evening meal, on this trip we decided not to do so after the first night and simply drop by the DL or CL for a before dinner drink.

I think they'll kick all the C&A's out of the lounges before they start discounting their bottle wines.

IMHO, RCL would increase overall total profits by lowering their wine prices a bit. Case in point: We recently sailed the Oasis. First night, we ordered a bottle of 2007 Ravenswood Zinfandel. Our cost was $40.25 (receipt before me as I write). The wine sells locally for $7.99 which means that RCL enjoys a 500% markup. My belief is that if RCL marked up their wines only 300-400% then much, much more would be sold. (Some might agree with me also that it is more likely a guest will spend more on other items after enjoying a glass or two of a good red wine (or otherwise.)) Although we normally consume a bottle per evening meal, on this trip we decided not to do so after the first night and simply drop by the DL or CL for a before dinner drink.

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=2363289020/PictureID=80781669020/a=266752020_266752020/

When comparing wine prices, you need to compare the cost on a cruiseline to the cost in a restaurant, not the cost in the local ABC Liquor store. I can get a liter of Johnny Walker Black Label in the store for $20, and produce ~two dozen drinks, so using the "I can buy it locally" logic, if RCI charges any more than ~$0.85 for a shot of JWB, they're overpricing. Why is is that we never hear this argument from Bud drinkers - after all for what you pay on board for two beers, you can buy a case in your local quickie mart:rolleyes:

Does anyone know how much wine you get when you purchase by the glass - 3 oz/5 oz?

The wine packages available are not a great deal/selection isn't terrific, but they seem to be quite a bit better/bottle - for gold package 5 bottles for $159.xx CAD which includes white, red & sparkling.

When comparing wine prices, you need to compare the cost on a cruiseline to the cost in a restaurant, not the cost in the local ABC Liquor store. I can get a liter of Johnny Walker Black Label in the store for $20, and produce ~two dozen drinks, so using the "I can buy it locally" logic, if RCI charges any more than ~$0.85 for a shot of JWB, they're overpricing. Why is is that we never hear this argument from Bud drinkers - after all for what you pay on board for two beers, you can buy a case in your local quickie mart:rolleyes:

I'm not a Bud drinker, but I am a good beer drinker ;) and I only drink a fraction of what I would if I thought beer was reasonably priced. Seriously, $5 - $6 per beer is ridiculous because, as you pointed out, three to four beers at RC prices would buy me a case back home. I just won't pay it for more than a few.

My bar tab for a 7 day cruise is usually between $50 - $75. I have no problem spending money on a cruise; I expect to. But I don't like spending money when I feel like I'm getting ripped off and I definitely feel that way when ordering drinks. I'd easily spend 3 - 4 times the "normal" amount if there was just a moderate upcharge over what I'd pay in a bar or restaurant.

French martini $8.00

Mojito $6.00

Malibu Baybreeze $6.00

Mango Mai Tai $6.00

Bahama Mama $8.25

Mango Mojito $5.75

Mimosa $7.75

Malibu $5.50

Pina Colada $6.25

Peach Daquiri 6.75

Frozen Mojito $7.00

Mocha Berry Coffee $6.00

Bottle Pelligrino $6.75

Thanks for sharing the price of drinks on your most recent cruise. I also had a mojito on my most recent cruise...of a month ago. The mojito was $6.75. Checking back......I have paid $6.00 and as little as $5.25.

So, to me, that is not out of line, as far as drinks go. I do find that Ketel One martini's at $12.00 are more than I'm willing to pay on RCCL.

I know that the Mariner of the Seas is leaving the West Coast because they could not make their onboard expenses. The cruise line calls it revenue.......call it what you like.......the story is that they were not making enough money to keep the ship on the West Coast.

Guess what..........neither is Princess or Carnival. They are all pulling their ships out of California. I personally think that it has more to do with the new port fees that California is trying to charge...... upping the fee by over $50,000 for the day!

Rick

I'm not a Bud drinker, but I am a good beer drinker ;) and I only drink a fraction of what I would if I thought beer was reasonably priced. Seriously, $5 - $6 per beer is ridiculous because, as you pointed out, three to four beers at RC prices would buy me a case back home. I just won't pay it for more than a few.

My bar tab for a 7 day cruise is usually between $50 - $75. I have no problem spending money on a cruise; I expect to. But I don't like spending money when I feel like I'm getting ripped off and I definitely feel that way when ordering drinks. I'd easily spend 3 - 4 times the "normal" amount if there was just a moderate upcharge over what I'd pay in a bar or restaurant.

I agree. Their drink prices are outrageous. if they dropped their prices and sold more drinks, they'd make more money and the staff would get more tips.

The prices do seem high to me. I've been spoiled by Happy Hour 2 for 1 prices, so it's hard to pay $7 for a single bourbon and coke. And it is really hard to pay more than $7 for a glass of wine. I would drink more if the prices were lower.

The prices do seem high to me. I've been spoiled by Happy Hour 2 for 1 prices, so it's hard to pay $7 for a single bourbon and coke. And it is really hard to pay more than $7 for a glass of wine. I would drink more if the prices were lower.

Bourbon and coke...............$5.50 before gratuity.

I think the mixed drink prices are very reasonable; Cheesecake Factory has worse drink prices.

The cheaper wines seem to have a higher markup by the bottle compared to the midpriced ones. I have always found wines for $6, 7, 9/glass on the MDR menu.

I think that the $6 price point wine is gone, marci. :( $7 is hard to find. They really are jacking up the price of a glass of wine.

Theories:

1. Since they introduced the "new" C&A coupon books (not the NEW new ones as of June 1..........the LAST "new" ones), which had the 2-for wine coupon, they wanted to recoup the costs.

2. They want you to purchase bottles.

Thanks to all you folks from the US for your comments and views.:):)

Going back to my previous query does anyone know if prices are common across the fleet ? :confused:

It would be nice to get some more responses from this side of the pond (UK) and eleswhere.

I think that the $6 price point wine is gone, marci. :( $7 is hard to find. They really are jacking up the price of a glass of wine.

Theories:

1. Since they introduced the "new" C&A coupon books (not the NEW new ones as of June 1..........the LAST "new" ones), which had the 2-for wine coupon, they wanted to recoup the costs.

2. They want you to purchase bottles.

Are these lists still in effect? (critterchick's webshots) http://travel.webshots.com/album/576474571wtQYCk

They show LaTerre at $6. Not that I would order it, but it's there. I would expect house wine at the cheapest price point, and that could be anything in a bottle. There are a few at $7 and more at $9. Of course a lot more at the higher price points.

I agree they're hard to find but on our last cruise in April I did see some so maybe I had an old wine list? Realistically, when I go out to a restaurant, I expect to pay $8-10 per glass for a non-house wine. $6-7 a glass will get you Beringer zinfandel. I live in NJ so that could be a factor.

On our last cruise the room steward gave me 5 Diamond books (maybe they ran out of kids' books?) so we used all of the BOGO wines and I ordered a lot of the more expensive ones since we were using a coupon.

We went to the DL every night so I didn't feel the pressure of the upward pricing. I still think that if they want to sell more drinks at those prices, they will have to limit/remove the CL and DL feature for repeat customers.

I wanted to add that Europeans may notice the wine pricing more because they have so many decent ones available at reasonable prices. We ordered carafes of wine for lunch in the Med for $10 that were very good so I can see that it's hard to pay $10 for one glass.

That menu mustn't be for all RCI boats because in the gold wine package the Peter Lehman's is actually $31/bottle and on the Explorer Menu it is $29 without the package - does anyone know where I can find a menu for Brilliance of the Seas?

That menu mustn't be for all RCI boats because in the gold wine package the Peter Lehman's is actually $31/bottle and on the Explorer Menu it is $29 without the package - does anyone know where I can find a menu for Brilliance of the Seas?

People rarely post the entire wine list, just lucky that critterchick did. I don't doubt that menus vary between ships as we have seen that happen with room service menus and specialty dining: some ships are still using the old menus while others have had the new ones for awhile. It's very inconsistent.

For the entire current bar menu, Sue just posted this from the Explorer:

Current Bar Menu

Thanks so much for that, I was pleasantly surprised by the prices, as one of the previous posters pointed out, you should compare to restaurant prices not you bargains at liquor stores.

Cheers :)

Archived