CJW: Shoes to go with navy suit for young man

cruisemom42

I recently purchased DS's first "nice" suit (he's 17, has no real interest in clothes, but will need a suit for a couple of occasions this year). It's a dark navy fine wool, similar in style to this one:

961784809_fr.jpg

Perhaps the legs are a bit narrower on his. But anyway, this is close.

So......he now needs dress shoes to go with the suit. Help?!?!?!? He has no idea what he likes other than that they should be comfortable. I've been out looking but it seems like the styles either look too "older guy" or too exaggerated (long, squared off toe, etc). My son is not really an "urban male" type; I just want him to look well dressed and age appropriate.

Can you recommend any choices for us to consider?

Also, I assume black is the appropriate color choice? Or is that too "old school"?

Thanks for your help. You are a FONT of information!!

Thanks! I'm glad to help.

Let me know his shoe size, so if I find good ones - I can make sure I'm looking for his size.

Personally, I think that brown is great with a navy suit, and is cool and young.

Black works as well, but is a little more conservative and yes "old school".

But I personally like both.

So, I'd say it depends more on what his hair coloring is - as that is a subtle subconscious thing that will make him look more pulled together.

If he has dark dark brown or black hair, I'd go with black shoes and accessories (belt, etc.).

If he has medium brown, blond, or reddish hair, I'd go with brown shoes and accessories.

Also, do you want these to multi-purpose? Or is he only ever going to wear these with the suit?

Let me know these answers and I can give you lots of perfect options!

I have to run out to a meeting in a while, so I may not get back to this until later.

PS Great choice on the Navy Suit!:cool:

He's got dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, medium fair skin. We tried dark gray suits but they really washed him out, which is why the navy was selected. :)

He wears a size 11.5 shoe, medium to wide width (if a narrow cut). He's 6'1" , I actually thought he'd end up with larger feet!

When we were purchasing the suit, the store had a number of nice looking jackets paired with jeans. He did express an interest in that look (seems like it would be a good look for a guy going off to college; nice, pulled together, yet casual). So there might be one of those jackets in his future.....say, for Christmas ;).

Which is a long-winded way of saying that maybe the shoes could also go with this look. Or not. :D:D

Thanks; looking forward to your thoughts!

He's got dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, medium fair skin. We tried dark gray suits but they really washed him out, which is why the navy was selected.

Okay. So I think that black accessories would be great general rule for him.

He has no idea what he likes other than that they should be comfortable. My son is not really an "urban male" type; I just want him to look well dressed and age appropriate.
He wears a size 11.5 shoe, medium to wide width (if a narrow cut). He's 6'1" , I actually thought he'd end up with larger feet!

When we were purchasing the suit, the store had a number of nice looking jackets paired with jeans. He did express an interest in that look (seems like it would be a good look for a guy going off to college; nice, pulled together, yet casual).

Thanks; looking forward to your thoughts!

I definitely think that shoes should be multifunctional for young men. So we'll lean in the direction of shoes that can go with several different looks.

He also doesn't want anything that is really thin or light looking, as that is really too old for him.

I'm going to post some from Zappos, just because they have a wide selection and it's easy to see different styles.

I totally agree with him on comfort, as I won't wear or buy any shoes unless they are comfortable.

But have him look at these different shoe styles, and also try some on in the stores (to test for comfort). He might be surprised over what actually feels good for both style and comfort on him.

To start for a general look:

6220-652401-d.jpg

Timberland - Onuma Plain Toe Oxford

3832-296142-d.jpg

Nunn Bush - Maury

6219-687828-d.jpg

Kenneth Cole Reaction - Steam Power

Great if he's into any kind or retro or modern rock

7769-840770-d.jpg

Tsubo - Hagen

This is really great for an athletic guy. It fits really nicely and naturally with both a suit and jeans.

982388-p-DETAILED.jpg

RJ Colt - Maxwell

7769-2132-d.jpg

Frye - Engineer 12R

Now boots like these, either slimmer or very clean and streamlined like the classic engineer boots above are totally young and fashion forward right now. I've been wearing engineer boots for years (they last forever) and are very comfortable. They finally endorsed these with suits in GQ, (yay!) so they're good to go.

Check out all of those above and let me know what he (and you) think.

They'll all work in different ways with the suit, and more casual Jacket and jeans.

I'll check back later.

So......he now needs dress shoes to go with the suit. Help?!?!?!? He has no idea what he likes other than that they should be comfortable. I've been out looking but it seems like the styles either look too "older guy" or too exaggerated (long, squared off toe, etc). My son is not really an "urban male" type; I just want him to look well dressed and age appropriate.

Well made black loafers would serve him well. They can be worn with suits to khaki pants. If he's going off to college and might want to join a frat house, he'll need some good clothes/shoes for occasional events. At his age his feet should be done growing so he's old enough to buy shoes that are going to last. Investment shoes, y'know?

At 17, I wouldn't be so sure he's done growing. Has he recently needed a different size shoe? I agree with black. I would tend to shy away from mail-order, but try to find something locally, so he can try on the actual shoes. When shoes hurt your feet......(especially for a male who's probably mostly used to sneakers.)

The suit looks great!

Kathy

Hey cruisemom42, I like the Timberland. These can go with jeans and suits and Timberland's are so durable. Also, Timberland have outlet stores!!! Hint: St. Augustine?

Wouldn't you know, he favors the Timberlands too. Good to know about the outlet stores. :):) Now if we can just drag him with us.....:eek:

Archived