No summer Southern Caribbean cruises 2012 on

The weekly Caribbean Business has confirmed that RCI will homeport the Serenade in San Juan only during the winter/spring months. With the Adventure going to Europe also in the summers, that means no Royal Caribbean Southern Caribbean cruises during the summer/fall beginning next year.

http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/cb_content/news02.php?nw_id=4962&ct_id=0&ct_name=1

they're only abandoning them in the spring/summer. Quite frankly, its too hot down there in the summer, not to mention the possibility of hurricanes. I like hot places to sail to when its cold up here!

but hurricane season is May through November. Why would they move the Serenade during the spring?

It is hotter in Florida/Mexico/Caymans/Central America in the summer than it is in the islands on the Southern Caribbean itineraries. The tradewinds cool our islands quite nicely. Schedules out of Florida are also in and around huricane alley.

I agree! We were waiting to book Adventure for June 2012. What a bummer. We can't pull our teens (17 y.o twins) out of school any earlier.It was their graduation present.... Oh well. May have to look at another line. Bummer RCCL had just about won me back. I have no desire to be on anything bigger than Freedom class and love Puerto Rico!

I agree! We were waiting to book Adventure for June 2012. What a bummer. We can't pull our teens (17 y.o twins) out of school any earlier.It was their graduation present.... Oh well. May have to look at another line. Bummer RCCL had just about won me back. I have no desire to be on anything bigger than Freedom class and love Puerto Rico!

This is beyond dissapointing. I can rarely travel outside of the summer and with RCI pulling out of San Juan I'll never get to Diamond. Maybe not even Emerald!

Out of Florida? - It does not make sense for us to fly to Florida to then sail back to the less desirable Caribbean ports. The Lesser Antilles and the ABC islands are far superior and genuinely Caribbean than Roatan, the Bahamas, Labadee, etc.

Europe? Been there done that for now.

Agreed. Although I found Labadee & Falmouth to be wonderful- I just cannot circle Cuba again for a LONG time. Western won't happen, mega ship won't happen. Do they have teens on Celebrity? We just made diamond. Now way can I take teens on Holland. (Been there, done it- for us-no way)

Karen

Summer is the only time of the year we can take a longer cruise vacation and with San Juan being our favorite place and port to vacation from....Well I guess that means "Good Bye to RCCL" after this summer for us then! :mad:

Is the Adventure of the Seas sailing from Malaga again in Summer 2012?

I thought that Serenade was going to be deployed out of San Juan in Summer 2012 because the Adventure was going to stay in San Juan year-round.

Also, the San Juan Bay it not deep enough to receive the Oasis/Allure. This is why they have not been able to call there and now are finding new ports in Puerto Rico so the ships can visit.

I can understand that airlift to San Juan had been a problem over the last couple of years (fewer and more expensive seats) but the airlines are gearing up service for this year and beyond. We are even getting more direct flights from Europe.

It seems to me that RCI is lagging in their decision making.

Is the Adventure of the Seas sailing from Malaga again in Summer 2012?

I thought that Serenade was going to be deployed out of San Juan in Summer 2012 because the Adventure was going to stay in San Juan year-round.

Also, the San Juan Bay it not deep enough to receive the Oasis/Allure. This is why they have not been able to call there and now are finding new ports in Puerto Rico so the ships can visit.

According to the article we lost both the Adventure and the Serenade.

According to the article we lost both the Adventure and the Serenade.

So now Adventure of the Seas (seasonal), Serenade of the Seas (seasonal), Caribbean Princess (out). Only Carnival Victory year-round.... How about Celebrity Summit? Are they dropping San Juan as well?

Shame.

I would say that the cost of flying is factoring into the decision (not to mention that the Caribbean has been so saturated for so long). Almost all of the passengers woul dhave to fly to SJU. Many people in FL to fill those ships and there is a huge demand for Europe from both North America and Europeans... I would rther pay $1000 to get to Europe than $600 to get to SJU on a plane.

I find it very interesting that this report says that Oasis will be porting in both Ponce and Mayaguez! That might be enough incentive to get me to book Oasis. Hoping to see this on RCI's web site soon.

We were on board Empress of the Seas on her final voyage out of Philadelphia. We were the first large?? cruise ship ever to dock in Mayaguez and the whole town turned out for us. However Empress barely fit at their dock and the town was a small but lovely place with not a lot to do. Can't imagine Oasis dumping 6,000 passengers off there unless they're bussing them all over the place or tendering in.

So, if I understand this correctly Southern Caribbean Routes will continue out of San Juan in the winter months? We were planning a B2B in Feb of 2013 on Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan.

Also, on a B2B does that count as two cruises?

Thanks.

Archived