Don't Laugh!! Converter??

jens1097

Okay...read these daily...leave in a few days. I have a mega hair dryer for my tumbleweed I call hair!! What the heck kind of "converter" do I need to buy?? I checked on NCL's website but all they say is "converter"!! Ug. :o

Go to Walmart and in the luggage section you will find all sorts of groovy travel accessories. They have what looks like a small white rectangular package and it is a sort of universal converter that will work in lots of different currents. It is about the least expensive one they have, and if I recall correctly it runs right about $10.00.

If I remember it looks something like this:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:7T6zqhdf3HGUuM:http://www.travelessentials.com/productimages/main/18501030045.jpg

well you need a coverter that goes from the European/Asian voltage to the US voltage on some ships.

european/asian is 220 volts

US is 120 volts

but you can't just bring your superduper XR5000 hair dryer with accessory backpack. many ladies will tell you the hair dryer in the bathrooms are sufficient. others will say bring your own.

but as you will see this thread unfold...bringing those high wattage hair dryers is ill-advised.

EDIT: oh sorry...the answer is yes...you will most likely need a converter. dunno what ship you are on...that kinda matters as well. example...the Spirit was built for the asian market and now serves the american market. there's only one 120volt outlet in the room. but getting a converter and running every electronic device to it AND hair dryer will be very bad for you and the adjacent cabins.

Go to Walmart and in the luggage section you will find all sorts of groovy travel accessories. They have what looks like a small white rectangular package and it is a sort of universal converter that will work in lots of different currents. It is about the least expensive one they have, and if I recall correctly it runs right about $10.00.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:7T6zqhdf3HGUuM:http://www.travelessentials.com/productimages/main/18501030045.jpg

Thanks!

well you need a coverter that goes from the European/Asian voltage to the US voltage on some ships.

european/asian is 220 volts

US is 120 volts

but you can't just bring your superduper XR5000 hair dryer with accessory backpack. many ladies will tell you the hair dryer in the bathrooms are sufficient. others will say bring your own.

but as you will see this thread unfold...bringing those high wattage hair dryers is ill-advised.

EDIT: oh sorry...the answer is yes...you will most likely need a converter. dunno what ship you are on...that kinda matters as well. example...the Spirit was built for the asian market and now serves the american market. there's only one 120volt outlet in the room. but getting a converter and running every electronic device to it AND hair dryer will be very bad for you and the adjacent cabins.

When I checked the NCL website all it said was to bring a converter. I used the very same hairdryer on Carnival w/o probs. The only electronic devince I plan to run is my hairdryer. No phones, computer or camera, razor, etc. Bringing battery clock

When I checked the NCL website all it said was to bring a converter. I used the very same hairdryer on Carnival w/o probs. The only electronic devince I plan to run is my hairdryer. No phones, computer or camera, razor, etc. Bringing battery clock

well i guess. i'm hoping other women will chime in.

Although I am not sure, i would guess that the Walmart converter will not handle the power load of your hair drier.

DON

example...the Spirit was built for the asian market and now serves the american market. there's only one 120volt outlet in the room. but getting a converter and running every electronic device to it AND hair dryer will be very bad for you and the adjacent cabins.

If I'm reading right, there is only 1 outlet in the rooms on the Spirit or are there others that we can use if I bring a converter??

If I'm reading right, there is only 1 outlet in the rooms on the Spirit or are there others that we can use if I bring a converter??

it could be a combination of reading it incorrectly and my writing. let me try this again. the example is the Spirit:

- asian ship fitted with 220volt electricity to the cabins

- several 220V outlets throughout the cabin

- one (1) 120V outlet (the kind we have at home).

so yes...if you bring a converter you have expanded the number or 120V outlets you can use in your cabin...in addition to the one already in the room (it's typically located by the desk).

...i was on the Spirit last year.

Hey before you run to Walmart, one of the other posts got me to thinking. Look at your blow dryer and check your wattage first, then go buy your converter adn make sure it is rated for the wattage of your blowdryer. I don't use my converter for my blow dryer, so it isn't a big deal for me. But at least you can see on my picture what the two pronged plug looks like.

I was on the Spirit last week. I'd decided to use the ship's hair dryer, figuring it couldn't be that bad. It was actually worse than useless - it's like a vacuum hose type thing that comes out of the wall with very little airflow. However, at the Cruise Critic meet & greet, I talked to a very nice gal named Bon from the reception desk, who had a plug-in hair dryer sent to my cabin. It plugged into the Asian outlet, and did a decent job with my hair. Not as good as my high power dryer from home, but no worries about blowing a fuse either.

which I took my ionizer hair dryer to England. I had the converter set but did not bring a surge protector. The hotel's power fluctuates & so went with my hair dryer. CruiseShips are worse with that. So a fire is unwanted, so just use the hair dryer in the stateroom. Your neighbors will thank you.

I guess I don't understand why you feel you need a converter if you are going on Star. If the hairdryer worked on Carnival, assuming a ship that was sailing from the US, and you have a US hairdryer, it should work on an NCL ship.

I have brought a hairdryer on ships and just plugged it in. The converter that I have used is for when I have been in Europe and I had 2 pieces to it. One was the converter and the other kept the power from surging. One is worthless without the other.

Did someone tell you you needed to have a converter? It doesn't make sense to me. I would call NCL ask them how many watts a hairdryer can be to be used on their ships. If they say 1800 as an example, just use one that is that or less wattage. Not being electricity minded, I don't see how a converter is going to allow you to use say 2000 if the outlet only allows 1800.

I know I could very well be wrong, but it seems to me you are worrying needlessly. If so, I'm sure someone can tell us both.

Enjoy.

I've always let the balcony breeze dry my hair. Of course, going to Alaska next, I may have ice crystals on my locks.:D

Seriously, I've been on the Jewel and the Dawn and both had adequate hairdryers. It's my rollers I worry about. Hence, power strip is a must.

this is what the outlets, on the spirit, look like...the regular outlet, like we use..won't take a full load of a high power hair dyer...it could blow power of your cabin and the surrounding area. if will take small loads like laptops and charging stuff. bring a power strip for more outlets.

i can't remember about the star, but for a real high power hair dryer...i am not sure.

352386304_Electricoutlets.jpg.0db18129359949cb0f7a7c0c11368cf0.jpg

...bring a power strip for more outlets.

a powerstrip to be used in conjunction with a converter for the other outlets, i hope? cause you'd still be limited to 500W if you plugged in a power strip...

....oh wait...you mean a powerstrip to be use for the laptop WHILE you are charging your digital camera batteries, with the alarm clock plugged in...yes...then a power strip would work in that case.

hence the hair cut, i didn't want to do the "hair" thing last cruise. i use a power surge, myself. don't want any power changes to hurt the laptop.

plus it gives me the multi-outlet to use for the other things.

We brought a surge-protected power strip on the Spirit ... it did the trick ... but we didn't use any industrial strength hair dryers either ;)

Do you think an extension cord with extra outlets on it would work??

Do you think an extension cord with extra outlets on it would work??

I think so ... as long as it's not overloaded ... and it provides the adequate # of outlet space for you ... since a lot my newer electrical "contraptions" have those really big ends/plugs (are they called transformers? ... remember I'm female ... so be nice ;) )

If you plug anything into the 240v plug with just a plug adapter it will blow up.

The things you plug in need to be 240v for them to work, or you need a voltage transformer.

This is a common type of adapter kit.

http://www.brookstone.com/store/product.asp?product_code=394809&wid=19&cid=1904&sid=190404&search_type=subcategory&prodtemp=t1

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/product_detail.asp?product_code=394809&id=1&cm_sp=Shop*Tab*More&cm_productName=Interchangeable%20Travel%20Adapter%20Kit%20(3948&cm_categoryID=190404

a step down transformer with the correct plug is around $25

http://www.brookstone.com/store/product.asp?product_code=223578&wid=19&cid=1904&sid=190404&search_type=subcategory&prodtemp=t1

The only problem is that a cheaper transformer is only good for about 80 watts of 110v power.

This hairdryer was recommended on the CC boards to use on the Spirit:

Revlon International Travel Dryer Stylix Ion Select (1875 watt)

It's available at Wal*Mart for under $20.00.

I meant to add that it has worldwide dual voltage & 2 international plug adapters are included.

The model # is RV603PK1.

On another note, if you'll be on the Spirit and use a CPAP machine, I checked with the company that makes my DH's machine & it has dual voltage & adjusts automatically & uses 200 watts. I'd call your CPAP manufacturer to make sure. I'm bringing an adapter with a built in surge protector & a power strip with a surge protector, too. Hopefully that should cover everything! After all that we'll forget to bring the distilled water or something.

Archived