Summit Review, 2/18/12 by relatively seasoned cruiser

capecodrealtor

This is a brief review of our 18th cruise and first on Celebrity Summit. We are Elite level and have evolved to Celebrity from Royal Caribbean. This was our third Celebrity cruise, having previously sailed on Century and just last February on Solstice. We are an early 50’s couple, married over 30 years (to each other!) and relatively low maintenance in our wants and needs.

I own a small business and my DW is an Educator, thus sailing only on school vacation weeks. Whereas my Bride is with over 400 kids, five days a week, we seek sailings that might have a smaller concentration of kids. The Summit fit that perfectly. Only had one family that had a few kids who tried the solarium (summarily removed by security) and left the elevators with all buttons pushed. What’s funny about this particular family is that the kids (early teens) actually showed the Dad the sign that states the area was reserved for those over 16, Dad read it, and entered the pool anyway. The kids looked guilty as could be, their eyes constantly darting around looking for someone who might catch them. They were caught, and left quickly. Security did an excellent job keeping the area quiet the entire week.

We flew out of Boston late Friday night and arrived in San Juan in the early morning hours. Direct flight from Boston to San Juan was on time and an easy way to travel. Taxi to Sheraton Old San Juan was around $20, and we checked in for a few hours’ sleep. Arriving at 4 AM, we couldn’t care less about the room, but were given a small suite on the 8th floor, a Starwoods floor. We slept in until around 10 and headed out to La Bombanera for breakfast. Great spot on Calle de St. Francisco, a brief walk from the hotel. Great local restaurant and bakery, with standing line to get in. Headed up to Walgreens to get supplies before we headed to the ship.

Arrived to the ship around 2 PM and encountered no line and walked right on to the ship. This was the third cruise after drydock and Solsticazation. We found the ship to be immaculate, but the most pleasant surprise was just how welcoming and genuinely sincere the crew seemed to be. With my Bride holding her obligatory glass of champagne, we headed to our cabin on deck 8, 8046 with the corner balcony. The updating included new linens, carpet, flat screen TV, and new coating and furniture on the balcony. There are two reclining chairs (no footrests) and a new dining table. We enjoyed breakfast and afternoon snacks here daily. The only drawback on this starboard side cabin is that on this itinerary, we faced the dock in every port. Many, like in Barbados, you are on a working dock with containers and not looking out over the harbor.

168.jpg

167.jpg

169.jpg

127.jpg

We headed to the dining room to check out our table, and found that it was the first table of 6 as you enter the dining room and was directly next to the bussing station. We did head up to see the maitre’d who fulfilled our request for a change. Our new table was scheduled to be 506 in what was a majority of the select dining location, but there were 4 tables which became late seating. During the time I was talking, my DW spoke to the couple who were before us. They were a very nice couple from the Denver area in a committed relationship. We were assigned the table next to them and we ended up hanging with them quite a bit during the week at shows as well as dinner. In addition to setting up our new table, he also made reservations for us at Normandie for both formal nights. He must have some pull as we received a great table in this wonderful specialty restaurant. I should mention that that this cruise had a large contingent sailing with the Pied Piper group. They numbered less than 5% of the total passengers and were a wonderful group to have onboard.

082.jpg

We found the food of the dining room to be good with choices available to every taste. Ronaldo was ably assisted by Mohammed and Alex did a very nice job as the sommelier. My bride asked for a recommendation on a good super Tuscan wine, and Alex was up to the challenge. She enjoyed the bottle during the week. Of course, he corked and saved the bottle for ensuing nights (I am a friend of Bill W. and do not partake).

We went to the opening show were we met a very affable cruise director Alejandro for Argentina, also self-described as Alejahandsome! He was seen everywhere and was thoroughly interactive with everyone all week!

115.jpg

Ephraim, our stateroom attendant was very responsive to our needs, and kept our stateroom well stocked and he fulfilled our few requests timely and efficiently.

I will update as time permits, but overall we were very pleased with this cruise and would strongly recommend to anyone considering this particular itinerary, which included Barbados, St. Lucia, Antiqua, and St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

so nice to hear a positive review. We were on the Summit two years ago and loved it. We are looking forward to our cruise on the Summit to Bermuda end of June. looking forward to more of your review.

Vicky

Ps Did the beds seem new as well?

so nice to hear a positive review. We were on the Summit two years ago and loved it. We are looking forward to our cruise on the Summit to Bermuda end of June. looking forward to more of your review.

Vicky

Ps Did the beds seem new as well?

Yes the bed did seem new, and wonderfully comfortable! New linens, pillows and everything was very clean. The coating on the balcony was also redone and the balcony furniture seemend new as well.

I never want to dispute any other cruiser's reviews, but we found things very enjoyable on this cruise. Food is so subjective, but we always found our selections to be good. Renaldo our waiter, was very attentive and mentioned many times, that his goal was our complete satisfaction. That thought seemed to resonate throughout the ship. In fact, we found the service on Summit more personal and attentive then on Solstice last year.

More to come tonight.

Your response was very timely - thanks! We just booked the same itinerary on the Summit for a November cruise. We chose a port side cabin for no particular reason. One of our favorite pastimes is sitting on the balcony and watching all of the activity on the dockside, e.g. cargo ships being loaded, passengers coming and going, taxis/buses arriving, etc. Based on your comments RE: your starboard side cabin, I called our TA this AM and requested to be moved to a starboard side cabin. Thanks again for the details!

What is the Pied Piper group?

I was on this sailing as well as part of the Pied Piper Group. Please note that I am also from Denver, but not part of the couple from Denver mentioned by the OP.

Pied Piper is a GLBT travel agency who specializes in cruising. The Pied Piper groups range from as small as 50 to over 1100 on various sailings throughout the year.

I have also enjoyed reading this review from a different perspective. Our waiter was painfully slow as was our assistant waiter. I have never seen a time where an assistant waiter from another table came over to help us out when our waiters were seemingly on their break. We had to request the Som every meal even though we ordered wine every meal as well.

I was on this sailing as well as part of the Pied Piper Group. Please note that I am also from Denver, but not part of the couple from Denver mentioned by the OP.

Pied Piper is a GLBT travel agency who specializes in cruising. The Pied Piper groups range from as small as 50 to over 1100 on various sailings throughout the year.

I have also enjoyed reading this review from a different perspective. Our waiter was painfully slow as was our assistant waiter. I have never seen a time where an assistant waiter from another table came over to help us out when our waiters were seemingly on their break. We had to request the Som every meal even though we ordered wine every meal as well.

The Som was mostly very responsive to us. We did have to request him one night, but the wait staff were exceptional. I'm sorry you didn't receive the same level of service that we did. Were you assigned an early, late or select dining?

The ship overall looked very clean and updated. We enjoyed the wonderful gelataria almost daily, homemade cones, and the young lady who was there daily was delightful. The new Café al Biaco offered a variety of snacks to go along with the specialty coffees. I’ve included a few various pictures. The Emporium featured a number of shops and I was interested in a new Citizen watch, and the jewelry store onboard offered 40% off retail. Compare what you are looking for as I did, but waited for St. Thomas where most shops in Havensight will offer 50% off retail. I did not attempt to negotiate onboard, but was very pleased with my purchase in St. Thomas.

Emporium

160.jpg

Gelataria selections

156.jpg

Pastry at Cafe al Biaco

158.jpg

157.jpg

Central staircase

155.jpg

New Carpet on Deck 8

166.jpg

We haven’t worn our formal outfits for a number of cruises, but decided for whatever reason to dress on this cruise. As you can see, I’m so lucky to be married to this beautiful woman for over 30 years! We also enjoyed many of the shows on board, the singers and dancers were good, the aerialists excellent!

126.jpg

As we’ve cruised a number of times, we rarely utilize the ship’s excursions and have relied on this board to get input as to what beaches and tours to take. We’ve done this southern route 4 times now, so we really just concentrated on relaxing and doing “beach days”. As a result, we hit a beach on each of the five ports.

In Barbados, we had planned on obtaining a day pass at the Hilton. Before we paid for the pass, we decided to hit the beach to see how crowded it was. Good move because literally all of the beach chairs and umbrellas were already taken by hotel guests! We decided to just place our towels on the sand and enjoy a swim. The water was beautiful and encased in a protected cove. There was a lifeguard on duty and the taxi fare from the port to the hotel was $15 for the two of us.

Hilton

006.jpg

Hilton Beach looking towards Lifeguard Stand

008.jpg

Jetty at Hilton Beach

010.jpg

Next stop was St. Lucia and we were originally intending to obtain a day pas at the Rendezvous Resort, however over the last few weeks, cruisers have been turned away due to some reported cases of the noro virus. As a result, we decided to head over to Reduit Beach, a very short cab ride (just a $10 cab ride). The beach was busy, but we arrived early and got a great spot on the beach next to the Rex Resort, St. Lucian Resort.

Reduit Beach

033.jpg

Reduit Beach 2

031.jpg

There was a fruit vendor who arrived by his colorful boat! You waded into the water to purchase fruit or a very fresh coconut and rum drink. The proprietor would open the coconut, add a squeeze of fresh grapefruit juice, and add a healthy pour of rum. As a non-drinker, I can’t comment on the drink, but my DW thought his pour of rum was more than generous!

Reduit Beach Fruit Vendor Boat

027.jpg

Another great aspect of this particular section of beach was that it was between two Rex Resorts. Two massage therapists from the resort were soliciting for various massages at very attractive rates! I had an amazing 30 minute foot massage for $30! The table was on the beach, clean linens, and the therapist was very adept with her skills. Nothing like a soothing massage with the sounds of the beach, the surf gently crashing and the warmth of the breezes. Very, very relaxing and the ability to take a quick dip afterwards! Check out Spencer or Ambrose if you head to Reduit!

Next day was Antiqua, and the skies were clearing after some early showers as we entered the harbor early. The views are absolutely beautiful on the starboard side as you enter the berth. We had previously been to Hawksbill Resort to check out their 4 different beaches. There is also a CO beach here which does have beach chairs and some limited shade. The view is worth the visit, and while there is some rock as you enter the water, there is ample space to wade and swim. There is a bit of a hike from the security gate where the taxi drops you off. Cab fare was again $15 for the two of us. Make arrangements for your cab to pick you up in the afternoon, or be prepared to wait for the front desk to call a cab back to the ship. I’ve included a number of pictures of this beach and was able to catch a very active hummingbird enjoying the sweet nectar of the many red flowers!

046.jpg

Hawksbill Resort

071.jpg

Hawksbill path to Eden Beach

066.jpg

Hawksbill Rock

061.jpg

Eden Beach

057.jpg

Hummingbird

081.jpg

St. Maarten was our next port, and four ships in port including the enormous Oasis of the Seas. This picture shows you just how large it is compared to Summit. We headed over to Orient Beach early ($14 cab for two). A little bit of wind, but a very warm trade wind and strong sunshine greeted us. We stopped at Andy & Cheryl’s on the beach for coffee and later for lunch. Andy had made homemade past fuguli soup that was delicious!

We spent a very full day here and headed back to the ship for another formal night dinner at Normandie.

Oasis vs. Summit

093.jpg

View from Andy & Cheryl's on Orient Beach

086.jpg

Final day in St. Thomas, another four ships in port. Our final beach day, we headed over to Sapphire Beach where we had stayed last summer. Again, we were out early to beat the crowds, and we were not disappointed. This is a great place to stay if you are interested in staying in St. Thomas for an extended period. We rented a condo here on the water last summer for a week for a very reasonable rate. It’s great locale, close to Red Hook and it’s harbor, restaurants and shops. Less than a mile and such easy access to the ferry to St. John.

Sapphire Beach

133.jpg

Another view

131.jpg

We headed back to pack and were delighted to see Serenade of the Seas illuminated by the stunning sunset, a very appropriate analogy for end of our very relaxing week.

Ship Sunset

176.jpg

Early departure at 7:30 go us to the San Juan airport for the fastest check in we’ve ever experienced at this airport. Most times it can be a very long wait to get through security, but there was no line at all. We were home on Jet Blue in no time, another very enjoyable vacation on our favorite cruise line, Celebrity!

Archived