upgrades

wansch

Does the cruise line (Oceania) offer upgrades prior to sailing based on availability? If so, is it reasonable?

They may but it is an up-sell where you pay, Example fron an inside to a lowest veranda...for a 10 day cruise $500 pp or $1000 for the cabin

They are not something that is frequent. I have seen a few and generaly they are to the next higher cat. not jumping from inside to penthouse.

They are generaly handed out to your agent and you need to inform your agent if you wish to be considered. I have not heard of direct booking passengers being offered any ougrade/up sell offers. Agents get first crack.

Do you have an agent?

That said, my experience is that it is about 60% of the fare difference between your cabin and the one offered... So if its $1000 difference expect an offer of $600

Agent? Do not know what this is? We are in a Concierge Veranda and would consider a one class (cabin) upgrade if it were reasonable. The difference was $2k when we booked and it didn't seem like it was truly worth that extra. This is our very first cruise - total rookies. Looks like I need an agent!

Agent? Do not know what this is? We are in a Concierge Veranda and would consider a one class (cabin) upgrade if it were reasonable. The difference was $2k when we booked and it didn't seem like it was truly worth that extra. This is our very first cruise - total rookies. Looks like I need an agent!

If you're talking about upgrading within Concierge, then it not be worth the money as the only difference would be the location of your cabin.

If you are talking about upgrading to a Penthouse, however, which I suspect that you are based on the amount of money involved, then the differences are gigantic.

Penthouses are much, much larger, and come with sexy perks such as additional Specialty Restaurant Reservations, Room Service from the Specialties, and the services of a Butler.

Without knowing which ship you are on, I cannot tell you much more than that.

Does the cruise line (Oceania) offer upgrades prior to sailing based on availability? If so, is it reasonable?

Yes, sailed Oceania six times. Received upsells on five of the cruises; one was 2 days prior to sailing. 4 were inside to balcony, one balcony to Conceige, all were $250/person upsells. Hope this info helps. But it will depend on cabins unsold 2 weeks prior to sailing date.

We just booked our fourth O cruise today. Our first cruise was on Marina and we selected an OV GTY. We were not offered an upsell or upgrade that time.

Our next cruise was on Marina. We booked an OV stateroom and were offered an upsell to a concierge A2 for $250. On our third cruise (Riviera) we again booked an OV stateroom and were able to negotiate a similar upgrade to Concierge A2 for $250 on the morning of departure. We had been offered several upsells before that but the price had been more than we were willing to pay for the cabin offered. It all turned out in the end.

Today my TA surprised me with an upgrade from a D cabin on an R ship to a C1 at no cost to us. I think it is because we are celebrating an important anniversary and it is also our fourth O cruise in less than four years.He said it was a gift from him and O. It does happen!

Eleven years ago we had an up sell on Regatta from a PH to the OS. It was $1000pp but I wanted it and didn't care about the price. (Sssh, DH thinks it cost half that.) Even so, it was less than having booked the OS to begin with.

That's the only up sell I can recall taking but in 2011 we took a "bribe" to move off an Alaska cruise (Regatta) to a Med cruise on Marina. We were upgraded from a PH to a VS for no extra cost and they threw in even more OBC. (We already had $1200.) Some of these offers -- if you are in a position to accept -- are much more enticing than a mere upgrade or up sell on the same cruise.

We just took the opposite -- a down sell from a PH to a B2, later upgraded at no cost to a B1. But the $20,700 they gave us will more than pay for our VS on our next cruise. We immediately regretted having accepted the money but decided in the long run that while we missed some of the benefits of the butler, hot breakfast in the room, etc., we weren't UNCOMFORTABLE, so in the end we didn't mind.

But we won't do it again! When you get used to suites, it's hard to go back to the minimal accommodations you once thought were just fine.

Mura

Today my TA surprised me with an upgrade from a D cabin on an R ship to a C1 at no cost to us. I think it is because we are celebrating an important anniversary and it is also our fourth O cruise in less than four years.He said it was a gift from him and O. It does happen!

maybe they needed the D cabin for the entertainment staff ;)

I am booked on a category "E guaranty" on Sirena. Does anyone in this situation have an experience of an upgrade to "D" (or better) when the cabins are assigned - and when do the assignments occur?

Cabin numbers can be assigned right up until you check in at the pier

There is no GTY that you will get an offer to upsell or get an upgrade

You should choose the cabin category you will be happy with or if possible choose the cabin number in the location you would be happy with

I never book a GTY ...you can end up someplace you may not want to be for me it is near the bow

We were extremely lucky. We had a sailing booked on the Riviera for a late June sailing. It was a GTY B4 category. We received an email asking if we would choose a different sailing since this sailing was overbooked. It was completely voluntary and if we changed to a different date (from a list of 4 or 5 different options), we would receive a complimentary upgrade to a penthouse suite. They took care of the air since it was already booked through them and there was no difference in price. We even got a few extra days for free!

We were extremely lucky. We had a sailing booked on the Riviera for a late June sailing. It was a GTY B4 category. We received an email asking if we would choose a different sailing since this sailing was overbooked. It was completely voluntary and if we changed to a different date (from a list of 4 or 5 different options), we would receive a complimentary upgrade to a penthouse suite. They took care of the air since it was already booked through them and there was no difference in price. We even got a few extra days for free!

How long before the first June sailing did this occur?

We are on Riveria. Love the concept of the Penthouse, just didn't have the extra to take us there full price. Who is the TA or agent that everyone is talking about...a travel agent?

Because you're new to this board, I think I should mention that the CruiseCritic "rules" specifically forbid the mention (or even a broad hint) of the name of a travel agent.

Because you're onboard right now, you have the perfect opportunity to ask your fellow passengers whether they have a travel agent that they're pleased with, one who offers lots of extras. You can do this without ever mentioning what you paid. Tell people that you're new to Oceania and are looking for a travel agency that is a top producer for Oceania. (The top producers get the most goodies.) If you hear a name come up several times, it will be a good place to start.

Like Oceania owned by a parent cruise line I do find if the agency owned by a parent in many ways it helps me. But to big is not as helpful. You do not get enough help vs a smaller agency.

I do a lot of research on my own for cruises and flights and hotels.