Review: Celebrity Solstice - Aug 21 to Aug 28

ontariocruiser2010

Below is my review of my cruise to Alaska on Celebrity Solstice. I am also including a link to my pictures.

https://goo.gl/photos/sGEvytfFnoZ9X5MA9

Pre Cruise

We had been in Seattle for a couple of days. Had done some sightseeing thru the City Pass - Space Needle, Chihuly Glass, EMP and Argosy Harbour Tour..if you have time before or after the CityPass is great!

We stayed at the Fairmont Olympic and had a great rate through Hotwire. We took the Light Rail and walked from Westgate to the hotel..no issue and if you can handle your own luggage, it is only $3/person.

We took the Monorail from Westlake to the Space Needle.

Of course the must do is the Market.

Day 1

Up early and we had breakfast in the Market and bought a bouquet of flowers to take onboard. $10 is a great deal for a large bouquet!

We were in AquaClass..zero issue with check-in. I like the staggered check-in, less crowds that way. We were onboard in under 20 minutes. Welcomed with a glass of champagne or mimosa.

We had gotten 3 perks, gratuities, classic drink package and an onboard credit.

While waiting for our room to be ready we enjoyed time outside at the OceanView Cafe Bar. We also had lunch at the buffet while waiting.

Rooms were ready just after 1pm and we went and checked out our room. There was another surprise..a bottle of champagne to welcome us onboard. I had also ordered a birthday package so it was waiting too. We were on the aft port side of the Solstice.

After relaxing in our room we went exploring and took in someone bag pipping us away from Seattle on the lawn.

Dinner that night was at the Tuscan Grill as there is a 50% discount offered on the first night. Very much enjoyed our dinner!

I think we also took in Brent Nixon..but that might have been Day 2. He is soo passionate about the environment and Alaska..you really need to take his talks in.

Day 2 - At Sea

Nice relaxing day at Sea..Brent Nixon talk, time relaxing outside, exploring the Solstice. Took in tour of the kitchen and got to see demo's of the different food offerings.

Day 3 - Ketchikan

We arrived as scheduled..it was a little overcast but no major rain. We decided to skip a tour and just enjoyed time walking around.

We visited Creek Street and saw the salmon going up the locks. We also did some shopping around town.

Day 4 - Juneau

We were scheduled for Tracy Arm but could not go due to a medical emergency .. things happen..no ones fault. We had booked the tour at Tracy Arm off the Solstice but this was cancelled also.

This gave us more time in Juneau. Decided to move up my whale watching tour and upgrade to the glacier viewing also.

Tendering was not a problem as we didn't leave until our tour and we met in the theater and left from there. No issue.

We had also purchased tickets for the Mt Robert tram but didn't have time to go so we got a refund on those.

Time at Mendanhall was short and rushed due to the crowds. We were told that Monday is known as Manic Monday due to the amount of people coming in.

Whale watching was awesome!! We had a record day of sighting and saw them bubble net feed multiple times. So worth it to go on this tour! The boat was not crowded and we could move around easily. It was a nice sunny afternoon and everyone enjoyed it!

We also got woken up to see the Northern Lights..once in a lifetime opportunity..amazing!!!!!

Day 5 - Skagway

We arrived as scheduled to another sunny day..we were so fortunate with the weather we had all week.

We took the train/bus tour. The train up into the Klondike was amazing to Fraser BC. We took the bus back. We had enough time to walk around and take in the city also.

Day 6 - At Sea

Enjoyed relaxing time..make sure you go and see the Corning Glass event at some point during your time onboard.

Day 7 - At Sea and Victoria

Morning and afternoon at sea. Dinner is available early and you can be off the ship at 630 to explore Victoria.

We didn't book an excursion but walked around the city on the waterfront trail. We got to see houses on the waterfront, the Empress Hotel, Parliament Buildings and Beacon Hill Park. The park has Peacocks walking around and it is free to enter. We didn't make it to Butchart Gardens..maybe next time.

Make sure you listen to Miss Amanda's talk about the Titanic..strange on a cruise ship but very interesting!!

Cudos to the crew for lining up outside the Solstice to wish us well. Not sure if they did this every stop as this was the first time we left as soon as we came into port.

Day 8 - Return to Seattle

Back to Seattle. We decided to self assist and walked off easily. Customs was easy and we were off the Solstice within 30 minutes. We rented a car for the day as our flight was the next day. Best way to store luggage and explore if you aren't leaving the same day.

Do not wait for a taxi!! The lines are crazy..arrange your transportation before you get off the Solstice!

Rental car company picked us up at the dock and took us downtown to get our car. We returned it to the airport..simple!

Summary

Our week on the Solstice was wonderful. I cannot say enough positive things about our week. We had calm seas and wonderful weather. The crew was friendly, professional and helpful.

Yes, we missed a stop but I am happy to know that they take our health seriously and I have no issue with taking time when someone's health is in danger to helicopter them off the Solstice.

Blu was a wonderful way to have breakfast and dinner. Milo (Sommalier), Tony (Waiter), Cynthia (hostess) were all amazing! Getting to sit by the windows and eat when you want is something I now feel spoiled with. I will definitely want AquaClass going forward!

Our Room Steward, Ivon was also wonderful. He kept our room made up..I miss my chocolate on my pillow each night :)

It may be a few years until my next cruise..but I'm planning on it being with Celebrity!

We are leaving on Friday for this cruise so I appreciate your remarks. How was the temperature? Do I need warm clothes?

I had layers including a fleece, earmuffs and gloves. They were nice to wear when it was windy standing outside at the front of the ship looking for whales. Didn't really need them otherwise.

You should have a waterproof jacket. We had warmer than normal temperatures..my advice is to be prepared for anything :)

Enjoy!

Glad you enjoyed your trip. We loved Alaska with Solstice and had amazing weather in May.

Do not wait for a taxi!! The lines are crazy..arrange your transportation before you get off the Solstice!

Understandable that people don't want to wait, but I'm afraid that's the way it is. Yes, the line is long but they have a dispatcher helping. Like I said, I understand why you said this but I, personally, wouldn't want anyone to panic and be worried about taking a cab from the pier. It's pretty much all a part of disembarkation day. :)

I have a question about the "woke us up to see the Northern Lights". How did they do this? I am so excited to see that they did it! It is my dream to see them while we are there next September..... I thought I may have to pull an all-nighter to see them, but if they do a wake up call, I am totally for it! I get the alerts sent to my phone and am constantly waiting for a good sighting, but it hasn't happened yet here in MN. (Maybe this winter. :))

Glad you enjoyed your trip. We loved Alaska with Solstice and had amazing weather in May.

Understandable that people don't want to wait, but I'm afraid that's the way it is. Yes, the line is long but they have a dispatcher helping. Like I said, I understand why you said this but I, personally, wouldn't want anyone to panic and be worried about taking a cab from the pier. It's pretty much all a part of disembarkation day. :)

It was more a warning to arrange transportation if you can ahead of time. Yes there are taxi's just be prepared to wait in line for up to an hour depending on when you disembark.

Thank you for that review. We have just come off Celebrity Equinox in the Mediteranean and while on it we booked on the Celebrity Millenium to cruise Seward to Vancouver with a pre cruise tour in June 2016. So research is rapidly underway.

• 6 months later...