Albania - City of Berat

During a recent port-call in Durres, Albania I took an interesting excursion to the City of Berat ("City of One Thousand Windows"), which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Dating from the 6th century BC, the city has been invaded and controlled by ancient Greeks, the Byzantine Empire, the Roman Empire, Slavs, Bulgarians and the Ottoman Empire, which have all had a cultural influence. The castle contains some beautiful churches and houses that were built in the 13th century - many are still inhabited.

Click on https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54800198&postcount=405 for information on viewing my video of this excursion.

Ron

Beautiful video -- I hadn't heard of Berat but now it is on my radar if I get to Durres.

Thanks for the comments! We are always looking for unique itineraries with off the beaten path places to explore. Berat was a nice surprise and did not disappoint! The ruins of the ancient city of Apollonia is another place that was recommended by our guide, Dr. Ols Lafe, who is an Archaeologist and has served as the Directorof Cultural Heritage and President of the Republic Advisor on Cultural Heritage for the Albanian government. His email address is olslafe@gmail.com. If we ever get back to Albania we plan to take his recommendation and explore the ruins of Apollonia.

Happy Travels,

Ron

It has been awhile, but my husband and I once spent a week in Albania with a private guide, Enea Kumi of Albaniatravelnet. We had a great time but Apollonia I must confess, was not nearly as impressive as the ruins in Butrinti or some of the Orthodox churches we saw. (I will say there were far less visitors at Apollonia, I counted a total of eight other tourists that day).

It has been awhile, but my husband and I once spent a week in Albania with a private guide, Enea Kumi of Albaniatravelnet. We had a great time but Apollonia I must confess, was not nearly as impressive as the ruins in Butrinti or some of the Orthodox churches we saw. (I will say there were far less visitors at Apollonia, I counted a total of eight other tourists that day).

Thanks for the comment! I've never been to Apollonia, so it is good to have your feedback!

Ron