Wall hours in Dubrovnik

We will be in Dubrovnik on Monday, July 1st from 1 -9pm.

It looks like we are the only ship in port that day. We want to walk the wall but would like to avoid the heat and crowds and do it later in the day. Any idea how late it's open?

This is a little off topic but is about the walls. I've read conflicting info about which direction you can walk on the walls. I read on CC forum that it's counter-clockwise only, but the Rough Guide says clockwise. I would greatly appreciate further information so I can better plan our short day there. Thank you!!!

This is a little off topic but is about the walls. I've read conflicting info about which direction you can walk on the walls. I read on CC forum that it's counter-clockwise only, but the Rough Guide says clockwise. I would greatly appreciate further information so I can better plan our short day there. Thank you!!!

We walked the wall two years ago and from what I remember it was clockwise. Either way it is amazing and one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please throw away Rough Guide, it does not have accurate information. It does not matter which entrance you use, you will walk counter clockwise. This route will take past our sea first, my favorite part of the wall. Also here is an FYI, it is just one wall, not many walls. Enjoy the 1,080 steps, they can be daunting for some.

We definitely walked it counter clockwise a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
Please throw away Rough Guide, it does not have accurate information. It does not matter which entrance you use, you will walk counter clockwise. This route will take past our sea first, my favorite part of the wall. Also here is an FYI, it is just one wall, not many walls. Enjoy the 1,080 steps, they can be daunting for some.

We are a couple mid 70's in decent shape and walk every day. Can you give us an idea how difficult this really is?

Deanna

It’s not that bad. We’re in our early 70s & reasonably fit, but we both have artificial knees ( me 1, my husband 2) and managed it. Yes there are lots of stairs, but you can take your time. The worst thing is that it gets very hot up there and it can be difficult to find much shade, so it’s best to do the walk first thing in the morning, preferably as soon as they open at 9am.

We are a couple mid 70's in decent shape and walk every day. Can you give us an idea how difficult this really is?

Deanna

Begin with going up at the main entrance just across from our Onofrio fountain. There are 87 steps to reach the top, with a small platform about half way. You can only walk counter clock wise and will enjoy the views from our sea side of the old town. This part of the wall has several sets of ups and downs but is the less strenuous. Continue past the views of our old port and you will then come to the half way point and the last exit at Ploce (plo-cha). At this point decide if you want to continue. The land half of the wall is all upward taking one to the highest point, our Minceta Tower. Decide if you want to continue at Ploce, the views are much the same of the old town roofs. Do understand that yes the wall does have 1.080 steps which does include all three entrances. I have done the walk many, many times over the years. When I was younger (60's) I made the trek 3 days in a row, then collapsed for a week. If you really want to have a grand view of Dubrovnik, then take the time to enjoy the cable car trip to the top of Mt. Srd (surge). Depending on time of year, make sure you have water, sun hat, sun screen and excellent walking shoes with radial tires on the soles. During our high season, after 01 April, it opens at 8am. Enjoy my retirement home!

It’s not that bad. We’re in our early 70s & reasonably fit, but we both have artificial knees ( me 1, my husband 2) and managed it. Yes there are lots of stairs, but you can take your time. The worst thing is that it gets very hot up there and it can be difficult to find much shade, so it’s best to do the walk first thing in the morning, preferably as soon as they open at 9am.

Thx. Very helpful!

Deanna

Begin with going up at the main entrance just across from our Onofrio fountain. There are 87 steps to reach the top, with a small platform about half way. You can only walk counter clock wise and will enjoy the views from our sea side of the old town. This part of the wall has several sets of ups and downs but is the less strenuous. Continue past the views of our old port and you will then come to the half way point and the last exit at Ploce (plo-cha). At this point decide if you want to continue. The land half of the wall is all upward taking one to the highest point, our Minceta Tower. Decide if you want to continue at Ploce, the views are much the same of the old town roofs. Do understand that yes the wall does have 1.080 steps which does include all three entrances. I have done the walk many, many times over the years. When I was younger (60's) I made the trek 3 days in a row, then collapsed for a week. If you really want to have a grand view of Dubrovnik, then take the time to enjoy the cable car trip to the top of Mt. Srd (surge). Depending on time of year, make sure you have water, sun hat, sun screen and excellent walking shoes with radial tires on the soles. During our high season, after 01 April, it opens at 8am. Enjoy my retirement home!

Thx! Exactly the information I was looking for.

Deanna