P&O Cruises New Ship Name

GoProCruiser

If Project Gala is going on sale next autumn, any rough idea when the official name will be declared?

Carnival Project Pinnacle was out of this world, never built but many of the design concepts were later used in Royal Caribbean designs. One of them that has not yet been built was the "horizontal lift" system.

See "Cancelled - Carnival's Project Pinnacle" on YouTube

Regards John

So we could have Britannia and Olympia. Is it coincidence or is there a nod there to Titanic's sisters Britannic and Olympic?

I imagine that it's a coincidence. But if the next new ship after that is named Titania, then we'll know it's not.

I'm joking of course. Even if it's not a coincidence, there's no way that they would tempt fate by naming a ship after the Titanic.

I imagine that it's a coincidence. But if the next new ship after that is named Titania, then we'll know it's not.

I'm joking of course. Even if it's not a coincidence, there's no way that they would tempt fate by naming a ship after the Titanic.

Someone may abbreviate the name as well .... not good. Like Olympia if that is the one. Nice name shame about the ship.....

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

So we could have Britannia and Olympia. Is it coincidence or is there a nod there to Titanic's sisters Britannic and Olympic?

I could be wrong but I thought P&O wanted to name a cross channel ferry Olympic not long ago & were somehow prevented from doing so,can't remember why.

Someone may abbreviate the name as well .... not good. Like Olympia if that is the one. Nice name shame about the ship.....

Sure Titania doesn't abbrivate well, but then again, neither does Olympia. ;)

The Cunard Queens are probabbly abbrivated quite regulary, but out of curiosity, does anyone abbriviate the names of the P&O ships?

I've never considered it until now, but I think (thankfully) it doesn't work...

Ori, 'Doni, Arky, Venti, 'Zura. Britt, 'Ana

I could be wrong but I thought P&O wanted to name a cross channel ferry Olympic not long ago & were somehow prevented from doing so,can't remember why.

I'm just guessing, but maybe the IOC blocked it?

I did a blog post about this a few days ago.

I don't think that the IOC (or any organisation) can block a ship name, especially one that was in widespread use as a place-name. Perhaps there was already a ship of that name in the same registry? - you can have multiple ships around the world with the same name, just not in the same registry.

Sure Titania doesn't abbrivate well, but then again, neither does Olympia. ;)

The Cunard Queens are probabbly abbrivated quite regulary, but out of curiosity, does anyone abbriviate the names of the P&O ships?

I've never considered it until now, but I think (thankfully) it doesn't work...

Ori, 'Doni, Arky, Venti, 'Zura. Britt, 'Ana

quote]

Thankfully none of them work at all !! If you read them all quickly together it sounds like Latin ! (Not that I have any clue what Latin should be !!)