SF for a full day

carbon

First time to SF, what does Lombard Street have to offer?

I agree not much worth going out of your way for as also the "Full House" street row. If you have a lot of time, which OP doesn't, to see what you want then it might be worth the detour, otherwise not worth it.

Nobody mentioned Coit Tower for a great view of the City.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering exactly what you're planning on seeing in the Haight. There are some head shops and some druggies on the sidewalk, and some interesting second-hand shops. And a Gap (if it's not closed) and I'm sure a Starbucks.

For a peek at what's sort of a 2018 version, you may want to visit Dolores Park over the hill from the Haight. It's a 15 minute bus ride that you can pick up at the corner of Haight & Ashbury and it will take you to Dolores Park at 18th & Church. (33 Stanyan, pick up near Club Deluxe, $2.75 exact change. Be sure you get a transfer/fare receipt)

Dolores Park is the place to be. It's a 2 block park between the Castro and Mission districts. Filled with people enjoying the sun (hopefully - it IS in one of the sunniest areas), people-watching, and perhaps a cannabis edible from the chocolate truffle guy. It also played a role in the great quake and fire. During the fire, the one fire hydrant that worked was at the southwest corner of the park (it's painted gold and is near the J-Church train stop at the top of the park). It saved much of the City, including the Haight.

You can take the J-Church Muni Metro train from the park, down to the Embarcadero, a short walk to the pier. Your transfer from the 33 will be good for 90 minutes, so it could be free, depending on your timing.

(In case you're interested, I've lived in the area (Haight, Mission, Castro) for 40 years)

Thanks MarkBear, we have never been to SF and the port stop is from 7am -11pm. I had on my list Mier Woods, Sausalito on the Grayline tour at 9am and then take the ferry back. Can I catch a bus from the pier to Doloras Park if that is a more happening place in 2018 than Haight Ashbury? Any other recommendation?

Thanks MarkBear, we have never been to SF and the port stop is from 7am -11pm. I had on my list Mier Woods, Sausalito on the Grayline tour at 9am and then take the ferry back. Can I catch a bus from the pier to Doloras Park if that is a more happening place in 2018 than Haight Ashbury? Any other recommendation?

Dolores Park? Hardly a "happening" place. So much more to see and do elsewhere in SF. How about the current Casanova exhibit at the Legion of Honor or a Giants game?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dolores Park? Hardly a "happening" place. So much more to see and do elsewhere in SF. How about the current Casanova exhibit at the Legion of Honor or a Giants game?s

Have you been to Dolores Park in the past 5 years? Also, I was looking for something with the vibe of the Haight rather than an exhibit of an eighteenth century Italian sculptor, in a museum that is almost impossible to get to without a car (a looong bus ride and dodging golf balls as you walk through a golf course.) Or a baseball game. Don't get me wrong, I love the Legion of Honor, although Canova - not so much. But it didn't sound anything like what the OP was looking for.

Carbon - Yes, it's easy to get to. (By the way, are you visiting on a weekend? Obviously, the park is hoppin' more on the weekend than weekdays)

- Take the J-Church Metro subway train Outbound from the Embarcadero Station at the foot of Market St (near the Hyatt Embarcadero) direct to Dolores Park.

$2.75 exact change. Surface trains and busses can take cash, (get a transfer from the operator) but the subway requires a one-time use or a Clipper card, both of which can be purchased at the machines in the station. They also can be used when entering any Muni (SF Municipal Roadway) trains or busses. Tap the reader to register and pay the fare. (If within 90 min transfer time, still tap - it will not charge you again). In the subway, you don't need to tap to exit. Just walk through the turnstile.

If you don't want to walk the few blocks along the Bay to the station, the F-line historic streetcar stops at the cruise terminal and the Ferry Building near the Embarcadero Station - although it may be too crowded, coming from Fisherman's Wharf. (Take a transfer and enter the gate next to the Muni Metro platform station agent in the booth. The agent will click you through when they see your transfer)

- The trip takes about a half-hour. You'll go under Market Street near downtown and surface at the foot of the SF Mint. (The mural on the back of the Safeway is on one side, look to the other, you'll see a grey fortress-like building behind a security fence on a rocky cliff. That's the Mint (no tours). The green rock is California's rock Serpentine. The white streaks contain asbestos.)

The train then lowers its stairs and runs along Church Street for a few blocks. (You'll likely be getting back on at 16th St if you visit Mission Dolores) After 3 or 4 stops, the train enters the park at 18th St (stay on) and runs up the hill next to Church St.

- Get off the train at the top of the park at 20th St. Check out the view!!!

Also look for the gold fire hydrant across 20th St, next to Church. That is the famous fire hydrant that saved much of the West part of the city in 1906. For years, someone would paint it gold in the middle of the night before the 1906 anniversary in gratitude and the city would dutifully repaint it in the official fire hydrant colors of the era. Some time in the 60s (I think), officials caught on and started keeping it gold. Now, it's part of the annual fol-de-rol for the Mayor and Fire Chief to repaint it gold as part of the celebration and remembrance each anniversary morning. Except about five years ago when some aide grabbed silver by mistake and in the early morning dark, no one noticed until the TV lights clicked on for the live broadcast.

In the mid 80s, that was our commute stop. On the anniversary, neighbors would set up a card table and little cups of snacks and cheap champagne. We'd stop by on our way home from work to toast the hydrant with our neighbors.

Again, check out the view of downtown and the Bay Bridge (at least what you can see of it around our new Salesforce Tower). Chill, or walk down the hill through the park. It's a small park, only 2 blocks, but is very popular.

On the opposite corner of 18th & Dolores, diagonally from the park, you'll see a huge line. It's for the famous Bi-Rite Salted Caramel Ice Cream. (Yeah, it's good)

That block of 18th St, from Dolores to Guerrero (the block away from the park) contains the Bi-Rite Market, Delfina restaurant and pizzeria, and the famous Tartine French bakery.

Either walk back and catch the return J-Church train downtown at the foot of the park at 18th & Church. If it's within 90 minutes, it'll be free with your card (just tap it at a reader), otherwise you can pay cash to the operator at the front of the train.

However, I recommend one more stop.

The historic Mission Dolores, the foundation of San Francisco, is at 16th and Dolores, a short walk from the park and Bi-Rite Creamery. There is a small suggested donation, I think. Next door is the small historic cemetery from those days. You may recall that Kim Novak visited the mission and the cemetery in Vertigo. For years, until the early 70s, the city kept the film's fake prop gravestone for Lola Montez there.

Walk 2 blocks down 16th St to Church Street and catch the J-Church inbound train back downtown from the platform on the street.

Remember, when getting back off at Embarcadero Center, you don't need to tap to exit. Just walk through the turnstile.

Total time 2-4 hours.

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

Obviously, I'd not suggest the above Dolores Park outing as a general solution to someone's ONLY excursion in SF.

I'd probably choose a stroll around Jackson Square, Chinatown, North Beach, and Coit Tower, and (yes) Fisherman's Wharf, followed by a trip to Alcatraz or a Bay Tour.

or Union Square shopping and SF MOMA

with other options

- The Pied Piper at the Palace Hotel for lunch or a drink and to see the famous Mayfield Parrish painting above the bar) - and see the gorgeous Garden Court (one of the most glorious indoor spaces in the world)

- Gump's, the worldwide tradition

- Chic Maiden Lane, previously known for its bordellos when named "Morton Lane" (also where Tippi bought the lovebirds in the Birds)

- Apple's flagship store at Union Square

- John's Grill, the home of the (fake) Maltese Falcon and fave of Dashell Hammett.

Or Golden Gate Park and museums, a (very quick) jaunt to Wine Country or....

Lots of things to do.

First time to SF, what does Lombard Street have to offer?

Avoid Lombard St. It's just a windy residential street. More importantly, although in an expensive neighborhood, tourist rental cars have become a target for thieves and there have been holdups on the street targeting tourists.

- Mark

Oh - more about Dolores Park. It was originally two cemetaries. I think both were Jewish, but it's possible that only one was (they were divided along 19th St.) All cemeteries in SF (except for the small Mission Dolores plot) were moved to Colma, South of the city border. Shortly after the bodies were removed, the park was being seeded with lots of hay and horse manure when the great quake and fire broke out. People were fighting the fire inch-by-inch with their bare hands, using doors pulled from the nearby houses to shield themselves from the fire as it approached the park. Luckily the fire hydrant worked. Unfortunately, the water created a mucky, smelly, slippery mess on the hill of the park.

After the quake, "earthquake sheds" were erected in the park (along with Golden Gate Park and others) to house the quake and fire refugees for the next year or two.

Gladys Hansen's excellent "Denial of Disaster" has an great account of the battle.

AND - gravestones from the old cemeteries are throughout the city and occasionally pop up. They were used for most of the stairs and borders in Buena Vista Park. Most were set with the words hidden, but you can see some in some spots. There's also an interesting "Water Organ" sound sculpture built in the 80s along the waterfront near Fort Mason constructed from them that makes sounds as the waves and tide-driven water gurgles in and out. And.... just last month, a construction project on a Target parking lot unearthed a bunch of 'em that were plowed under when the old Laurel Cemetery was closed. They're tarped off from the public and will be photographed by historians. (I don't know what they'll do with them after that.)

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

(Too late to edit my reply about Lombard St... )

NOTE - I was only talking about the block which winds back and forth - which is probably over a mile from where it meets the Embarcadero near the pier. NO PROBLEM with it except right near the tourist block.

- Mark

Have you been to Dolores Park in the past 5 years? Also, I was looking for something with the vibe of the Haight rather than an exhibit of an eighteenth century Italian sculptor, in a museum that is almost impossible to get to without a car (a looong bus ride and dodging golf balls as you walk through a golf course.) Or a baseball game. Don't get me wrong, I love the Legion of Honor, although Canova - not so much. But it didn't sound anything like what the OP was looking for.

Carbon - Yes, it's easy to get to. (By the way, are you visiting on a weekend? Obviously, the park is hoppin' more on the weekend than weekdays)

- Take the J-Church Metro subway train Outbound from the Embarcadero Station at the foot of Market St (near the Hyatt Embarcadero) direct to Dolores Park.

$2.75 exact change. Surface trains and busses can take cash, (get a transfer from the operator) but the subway requires a one-time use or a Clipper card, both of which can be purchased at the machines in the station. They also can be used when entering any Muni (SF Municipal Roadway) trains or busses. Tap the reader to register and pay the fare. (If within 90 min transfer time, still tap - it will not charge you again). In the subway, you don't need to tap to exit. Just walk through the turnstile.

If you don't want to walk the few blocks along the Bay to the station, the F-line historic streetcar stops at the cruise terminal and the Ferry Building near the Embarcadero Station - although it may be too crowded, coming from Fisherman's Wharf. (Take a transfer and enter the gate next to the Muni Metro platform station agent in the booth. The agent will click you through when they see your transfer)

- The trip takes about a half-hour. You'll go under Market Street near downtown and surface at the foot of the SF Mint. (The mural on the back of the Safeway is on one side, look to the other, you'll see a grey fortress-like building behind a security fence on a rocky cliff. That's the Mint (no tours). The green rock is California's rock Serpentine. The white streaks contain asbestos.)

The train then lowers its stairs and runs along Church Street for a few blocks. (You'll likely be getting back on at 16th St if you visit Mission Dolores) After 3 or 4 stops, the train enters the park at 18th St (stay on) and runs up the hill next to Church St.

- Get off the train at the top of the park at 20th St. Check out the view!!!

Also look for the gold fire hydrant across 20th St, next to Church. That is the famous fire hydrant that saved much of the West part of the city in 1906. For years, someone would paint it gold in the middle of the night before the 1906 anniversary in gratitude and the city would dutifully repaint it in the official fire hydrant colors of the era. Some time in the 60s (I think), officials caught on and started keeping it gold. Now, it's part of the annual fol-de-rol for the Mayor and Fire Chief to repaint it gold as part of the celebration and remembrance each anniversary morning. Except about five years ago when some aide grabbed silver by mistake and in the early morning dark, no one noticed until the TV lights clicked on for the live broadcast.

In the mid 80s, that was our commute stop. On the anniversary, neighbors would set up a card table and little cups of snacks and cheap champagne. We'd stop by on our way home from work to toast the hydrant with our neighbors.

Again, check out the view of downtown and the Bay Bridge (at least what you can see of it around our new Salesforce Tower). Chill, or walk down the hill through the park. It's a small park, only 2 blocks, but is very popular.

On the opposite corner of 18th & Dolores, diagonally from the park, you'll see a huge line. It's for the famous Bi-Rite Salted Caramel Ice Cream. (Yeah, it's good)

That block of 18th St, from Dolores to Guerrero (the block away from the park) contains the Bi-Rite Market, Delfina restaurant and pizzeria, and the famous Tartine French bakery.

Either walk back and catch the return J-Church train downtown at the foot of the park at 18th & Church. If it's within 90 minutes, it'll be free with your card (just tap it at a reader), otherwise you can pay cash to the operator at the front of the train.

However, I recommend one more stop.

The historic Mission Dolores, the foundation of San Francisco, is at 16th and Dolores, a short walk from the park and Bi-Rite Creamery. There is a small suggested donation, I think. Next door is the small historic cemetery from those days. You may recall that Kim Novak visited the mission and the cemetery in Vertigo. For years, until the early 70s, the city kept the film's fake prop gravestone for Lola Montez there.

Walk 2 blocks down 16th St to Church Street and catch the J-Church inbound train back downtown from the platform on the street.

Remember, when getting back off at Embarcadero Center, you don't need to tap to exit. Just walk through the turnstile.

Total time 2-4 hours.

- Mark

Of course i've been to Dolores Park in recent time.

Sorry, but it's nothing special.

And, BTW, it's Casanova (the musician turned "bon vivant") - who was hardly a sculptor.

Taxi takes one to the Legion of Honor with no problem. And you get the killer view of the GGB.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

FF, Sorry, I misread your post and mistook Casanova with Canova, a Venetian sculptor from the period (a piece of which I think I recall promoting the exhibit.)

I think we can agree that there is lots to see. And that the views from the Legion are beautiful.

Personally, I despaired for years that SF was great in performing arts, but our art museums were frustratingly sparse. Which is great to see how, in the past couple of decades they all have grown and turned into something special (FAMSF with new deYoung and refurbed Legion, a new and expanded SF MOMA, and the Asian moved to its new home in Civic Center)

Carbon, I'd still personally recommend others over the Legion, unless one is particularly interested in the Casanova exhibit, Rodin sculpture, photography, or 16-19th century European art.

(The Rodin collection is extensive. He had a great "relationship" with "Big Alma" Spreckels - the wife of Adolf Spreckels, the founder of C&H Sugar, for whom she invented a nickname, "Sugar Daddy." She paid for the museum, a copy of its namesake in Paris, in no small part to upstage the deYoungs, with whom she had a long feud. In her youth, she also posed for the nude sculpture at the top of the Dewey Monument in the center of Union Square. Scandalous!)

Other art museum options include:

- The newly-expanded SF Museum of Modern Art, downtown, near the Union Square shopping district,

- the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park, with a great view tower (in SF, we loove looking at ourselves) across from the beautiful Academy of Sciences natural history museum. The collection itself is a bit of a hodge-podge, though, in my opinion.

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF