Library on the Star

Can you check out books or do you need to stay in there to read? Do they have a good selection ? Has anyone spent anytime in there? Did you like the room ?

I hope I didn't ask too many questions. Since we have a few avid readers in our group it would be great to let them know what to expect.

Thank you

Can you check out books or do you need to stay in there to read? Do they have a good selection ? Has anyone spent anytime in there? Did you like the room ?

I hope I didn't ask too many questions. Since we have a few avid readers in our group it would be great to let them know what to expect.

Thank you

The room was comfortable and quiet. I think you have to checkout some of the books but I don't remember it having a terribly extensive collection...it reminded me of a leave one take one book exchange. I read a lot during our trip but mostly what I had queued up on my kindle and out on deck near the pool or hot tub (my old school e-ink kindle worked best).

There is a library attendant from time to time on a limited schedule to help.

See if there is signage indicating the hours.

Yes the books are in locked cases - see the attendant for check-out - return is easy there is a drop slot.

The inventory of the library is not all that great but one should be able to find at least a couple

of books to peruse.

Bringing your own books as donations to the ships library is appreciated.

The library is great place to pick-up extra copies of the daily trivia games crossword puzzles.

Extra copies of the Daily newspaper are available here as well as the Guest Desk in the Atrium.

Games included are Yahtzee Scrabble and some jig-saw puzzles (missing pieces not included) LOL.

I believe that there are some games available for use in or near Sheehan's on deck 8 - inquire within ?

The library occupancy is fine for 10 -@- 20 is way too much for comfort although there are four

meeting rooms adjacent to the library. Another semi-quiet space is on deck 9 overlooking Sheehan's

on deck 8 just as long as raucous activity on decks 7 and 8 is not out of hand.

During the times the ship is making a port call most of the areas are deserted and quiet reading space

is available - weather permitting grab a lounge chair on deck and read away.

Library seating is semi-comfortable in a climate controlled room.

The passage of guests checking out the library can be troublesome with the opening and

shutting of the doors (2) with prevailing winds off the pool deck.

In this day and age of electronic media - one can load an encyclopedia ton of stuff on a flash drive kindle

lap top or other media just remember to bring your own power source or you will be limited to the outlet

in your cabin.

FYI - the STAR's sister ship the DAWN is set up in the same manner !

The library room was open almost all day but the books were only available for checkout a couple of hours in the morning and afternoon. The bookcases were locked outside of those times. When we were on the Star this past December and one of the bookcases was always left unlocked and those books were for exchange, take one and leave one or you could take one and bring it back. Very limited selection in that bookcase.

The room was quiet and comfortable but with limited seating.

If there are some real readers in your group I would recommend bringing a kindle. We have one of the originals with the keyboard and have way more books in them than we have time to read them on any cruise we have ever been on. They take up almost no room and can be easily stored with your valuables and electronics that you take on the plane with you. I would not depend on the ship having something for everyone and, besides, you may be forced to spend more time reading than you had intended in order to finish a book before the end of the cruise or having to get a copy at home.