Oasis of the Seas 4/29/18 7 Day Western Itnerary "Not even close to Live Review"

Cruise Day -3:

The DW and I will be sailing on Oasis of the Seas on April29, for a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise. This will be a pre and post cruise review as I opted not to stay connectedduring the cruise. We are a couple inour mid-sixties and this will be our first cruise. RCL was chosen believing that this will be agood fit for us based on our lifestyle, the recommendation of a friend andafter much research on the internet. I am thankful for all the knowledge we havegained from CC and the RC forum that has helped immensely in the planning andprepping for this cruise. I hope to givea first time cruisers perspective of this sailing.

Pre-cruise planning began this past December; and Oasis ofthe Seas was selected for her amenities and entertainment options. This itinerary was chosen as this one had severalexcursions that interested us. InJanuary we spoke to a TA and let her take care of the details such as flights,hotels, etc. We will be flying from WashingtonDulles (IAD) to Orlando International (MCO) the day before sailing, picking upa rental car and staying in Orlando near MCO and driving to Port Canaveral onEmbarkation Day and returning the rental car prior to boarding.

On board entertainment has been reserved, and numerousvideos of the ship have been viewed in hopes that we will not be lost from dayone. We purchased the deluxe refreshmentpackage for $45 +gratuities per day. Iam hoping that with the use of specialty coffees, orange juice, soda, bottledwater and cocktails it will have been a good buy. Wedecided in taking dinners in the MDR “to get the feel of cruising” and the typeof specialty dinning offered onboard is readily available near our home. We are staying in an ocean view balcony toenjoy the views with our morning coffee and chill time in the cabin. After reserving the cabin we wanted, it wasdiscovered that it was a connecting cabin. I am hoping that will not have been a mistake, but am glad to see thatthe location of the connecting door on “Lady O” still allows for a sofa in theroom.

The first port day will be Labadee, were we have zip liningand para sailing planned as well as walking around the vendors for a souveniror two. The second port day will be inFalmouth Jamaica, we had originally planned a non-RCL excursion to severalhistoric sites in Montego Bay. After thetravel advisories were issued we researched the excursion and found that all ofour stops, while not in the neighborhoods that were under the warning they didskirt or were surrounded by them. Whilein my youth I have visited many questionable areas both at home and abroad, Iam now too old to run or fight and didn’t want the DW to be uncomfortable. So Falmouth will just be a port day roamingaround the shops and having extra time on the ship. The last port day will be Cozumel, weoriginally had wanted to visit the Maya ruins in Tulum or Chichen Itza. They were eventually rejected due to the longferry and bus ride and the limited time at the ruins just didn’t seem worth it. Instead we will visit the ruins at SanGervasio and the Maya Chocolate factory along with a visit to “downtown”Cozumel.

Clothing has been gathered, so now it’s time to start thepacking checking and double checking to make sure we have everything we thingwe will need. Tomorrow we drop the dogsat the kennel and pick up any last minute items we had forgotten.

We will be on with you! Counting down the days... leaving for MCO in < 24 hours... yay!!! Luggage has been packed for days and already with family who is driving and taking it for us. Can't wait!!

I just posted on the roll call that our Coz excursion was canceled... so was another. Is yours still intact?

We will be on with you! Counting down the days... leaving for MCO in < 24 hours... yay!!! Luggage has been packed for days and already with family who is driving and taking it for us. Can't wait!!

I just posted on the roll call that our Coz excursion was canceled... so was another. Is yours still intact?

Luggage is about 90% packed, and I can see that we are way overpacked. :D We fly out very early Saturday morning arriving in Orlando mid morning if things go well.

DW and SIL are getting final preps to go tomorrow too.

There's a rollcall out there. Some of the posts have mentioned Cozumel excursions to Playa Mia appear to be cancelled. Speculation is that the port will be missed. I don't think this is true at the moment as ferries are running between Coz and the mainland. But if you booked a ship excursion you should have received a cancellation notice if they know in advance the port will be missed. My spec is that the excursion had too few pre cruise bookings or something is happening at that beach.

Anyway, have a great cruise. I'm following your "livish" review. But you're gonna miss Antony Bourdain's show on your state. (hearing he likes the people there).

Cruise Day -3:

Instead we will visit the ruins at SanGervasio and the Maya Chocolate factory along with a visit to “downtown”Cozumel.

We just did this tour last week (except no downtown stop) and really enjoyed it. I hope that you get Oscar as a guide. He was wonderful. So passionate about the history and culture! Could’ve listened to him all day.

Enjoy your first cruise. Chances are it won’t be your last [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will be following along as we are on the 5/6 cruise right after yours...............so take very good care of Oasis for us!!!

Many RCCL excursions have been cancelled that are not strictly in Cozumel. There has been violence over in Cancun / Playa del Carmen way and out of caution have cancelled. The State Department has also posted a warning - security alert. So if you choose to go - be safe.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/03/31/mexico-tourist-fears-violence-cancun-los-cabos/471115002/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/03/08/state-department-warns-of-security-threat-in-playa-del-carmen-popular-resort-city-in-mexico/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.88ba1df4c68c

Using my best 14 yr old voice "OMG" The ship was fantastic and huge. I don't see how others manage to do the live blog it was just amazing to try keep up with the itinerary. Now that we are back and unpacked I will try and provide the review.

Had an early morning flight from IAD to MCO with Southwest,the flight went very well took off and landed on time. My only beef was with the TSA, Dullesterminal has two regular security stations one on the east side of the terminaland the other on the west side. NowSouthwest is on the west side of the terminal, guess what security station wasclosed, yep the west. This meant walkingto the east end of the terminal, going thru security and walking back to thewest end to catch the train to the mid-field concourse to board the plane.

enhance

Once in Orlando, we picked up our rental car and did a rehearsal run to Port Canaveral. Drove by Terminal 1 to see where we would be checking in and boarding. We also did a tour of the Exploration Tower at the Port which was interesting; learned about the history of the port.

Terminal 1:

enhance

Went over to Grills Seafood and Tiki Bar, which is right next to the RCCL Terminal. Ordered their coconut shrimp and bacon wrapped scallop appetizers and a Shark Kabob meal to split. Everything was good, but I must say I like bacon and I like scallops, but not necessarily together. The shark kabobs were fantastic, I highly recommend them.

Grills Seafood and Tiki Bar:

enhance

Shark!!:

enhance

After a great lunch we headed back to Orlando to check in tothe Comfort Suites MCO. We had originallybooked this hotel for its price and the ease to get back to the airport tocatch a bus transfer to Port Canaveral in the morning of our cruise. Because of being in Orlando the entire day before the cruise we opted to cancel the bus transfer and rent the car, it was a wise decision. In hindsight I would have tried to get a hotel closer to the port.

We just did this tour last week (except no downtown stop) and really enjoyed it. I hope that you get Oscar as a guide. He was wonderful. So passionate about the history and culture! Could’ve listened to him all day.

Enjoy your first cruise. Chances are it won’t be your last [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We never made the downtown stop wasn't enough time to do it properly, we had Jesus and he was very entertaining. Learned a lot about the Mayan culture and history.

:D Certainly won't be our last, we already had another booked for this December and couldn't leave the Oasis without booking the Harmony for February 2020. I think we are addicted.

CRUISE DAY 1: Embarkation Day (part 1)

Up early and eager to check in at the port. After a continental breakfast at the hotel we departed to return the rental car to Cocoa Beach at 8:15 am. We arrived at Port Canaveral at 9:00 am, decided to attempt to drop our luggage with the porters before turning in the rental car. It was a bit chaotic as there were still people departing the ship and waiting on rides. I didn’t see anyone receiving luggage on my first pass, had to ask where to drop the bags, this time I saw the porters taking bags. Bags were handed over to the porters and off we went to return the rental car.

No wait to return the rental car at the Budget office in Cocoa Beach, there was one other gentleman already there waiting to return to the ship. The shuttle driver shows up and tells us we're really early and that we wouldn’t be able to check in as there were still people disembarking. He reluctantly took off and dropped us at Terminal 1. By 9:20 am we were standing in line with about a hundred other eager cruisers. At about 9:45 am the terminal doors were opened and it was show our set sail pass at the door, pass thru security and then upstairs to check-in where we got our Sea Passes. We were seated in the terminal at 10:15 am waiting to board.

enhance

At 11:00 am boarding begin and it was off to the ship, we stopped for the pre-boarding photo op, where I learned that my Sea Pass card didn’t work because I had slipped it in the same pocket as my cell phone. Up the gangway and onto the ship we went, scan the Sea Pass cards and then to Guest Services for a new Sea Passcard. With a new card in hand it was off to the Globe and Atlas for our first drink, a Kraken Lava Flow. Slipped over to Café Promenade for the Kummelweck and we sat in the Globe and Atlas enjoying our first drink and sandwich.

enhance

Next was a walk around the Promenade deck then onto Central Park for a Bahama Mamma. After a quick stroll around Central Park we took a seat on the stone wall across from theTrellis Bar. People watching and sipping our drink we stayed there until the announcement came that the rooms were opened up at 1:00 pm.

enhance

enhance

Walking down the corridor towards our cabin (10684), I spotted two of our bags, grabbing the first one we walked into our cabin. The cabin was amazing and exactly what we expected, a quick look around and it was back into the corridor, the third bag had magically appeared and now we had all of our luggage in the room. Not wanting to take any chances with getting sick during the cruise we wiped down all surfaces with hydrogen peroxide wipes and began unpacking our suitcases. With our clothes hung and put away we stowed the empty suitcases under the bed (a tip we learned here). Now it was time for a few photos and checking out the room and balcony.

enhance

CRUISE DAY 1: Embarkation Day (part 2)

After unpacking and checking out our room and just bathing in the feeling that the cruise was really about to start, we headed out to take a slow stroll to our muster station. One point for first time cruisers is that your muster station is listed on the back of your cabin door. A point we did not notice before heading out and after asking several crew members who did not really know where we were to go, one sent us to the wrong deck and the other sent us to the wrong side of the ship. It turned out that our muster station was the Aqua Theater, starboard side. Watched the spy drama movie and were finally released to go about our day.

Grabbing an adult beverage we headed back to our room to watch sail away from our balcony. By the time we reached our room we had already pushed away from the dock and heading out. After clearing the harbor it was off to the pool deck to enjoy the hot tub before dinner.

Sailing out of the harbor

enhance

Clearing the harbor the pilot boat heads back

enhance

Soon it was time for a shower, get dressed and head of to the MDR (Silk Dining Room) to find our table and meet our table mates. We were seated with six other people, made our introductions and then met our wonderful Head Waiter Manoj and Assistant Waiter Atul. These two gentlemen were fabulous the entire week. Orders for appetizers, main entrees and desert were taken all at once. The food was delivered promptly and with a smooth transition from one course to the next.

After dinner it was off to the adult comedy show, they had two comedians, Phil Tag and Lenny Marcus. Lenny performed first followed by Phil; both were entertaining and funny although we thought Phi Tag was the better of the two. Everyone was warned that it was an adult comedy show, so if you are offended by cursing, sexual humor and off color jokes then this show is not for you. We both enjoyed the show, while adult in nature I was glad that it wasn’t filled with a lot of gratuitous profanity that many modern comedians think is so funny.

After the show it was a stroll thru Central Park then up toour balcony to unwind and enjoy the sounds of the ship slipping thru thewaters, before retiring for the night. Central Park is an absolutely peaceful place to be and we enjoyed itmany times in the coming week.

CRUISE DAY 1: Embarkation Day (part 2)

After unpacking and checking out our room and just bathing in the feeling that the cruise was really about to start, we headed out to take a slow stroll to our muster station. One point for first time cruisers is that your muster station is listed on the back of your cabin door. A point we did not notice before heading out and after asking several crew members who did not really know where we were to go, one sent us to the wrong deck and the other sent us to the wrong side of the ship. It turned out that our muster station was the Aqua Theater, starboard side. Watched the spy drama movie and were finally released to go about our day.

Grabbing an adult beverage we headed back to our room to watch sail away from our balcony. By the time we reached our room we had already pushed away from the dock and heading out. After clearing the harbor it was off to the pool deck to enjoy the hot tub before dinner.

Sailing out of the harbor

enhance

Clearing the harbor the pilot boat heads back

enhance

Soon it was time for a shower, get dressed and head of to the MDR (Silk Dining Room) to find our table and meet our table mates. We were seated with six other people, made our introductions and then met our wonderful Head Waiter Manoj and Assistant Waiter Atul. These two gentlemen were fabulous the entire week. Orders for appetizers, main entrees and desert were taken all at once. The food was delivered promptly and with a smooth transition from one course to the next.

After dinner it was off to the adult comedy show, they had two comedians, Phil Tag and Lenny Marcus. Lenny performed first followed by Phil; both were entertaining and funny although we thought Phi Tag was the better of the two. Everyone was warned that it was an adult comedy show, so if you are offended by cursing, sexual humor and off color jokes then this show is not for you. We both enjoyed the show, while adult in nature I was glad that it wasn’t filled with a lot of gratuitous profanity that many modern comedians think is so funny.

After the show it was a stroll thru Central Park then up toour balcony to unwind and enjoy the sounds of the ship slipping thru thewaters, before retiring for the night. Central Park is an absolutely peaceful place to be and we enjoyed itmany times in the coming week.

Interesting about the muster fiasco - all crew members should be trained as to where the stations are. Heck, I know the location of every muster station on the Oasis class ships, and I’m not even a crew member! You must have been G1 or G3. Loving the review so far, can’t wait to read more!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Central Park is arguably my favorite feature of the Oasis class ships - I had a balcony overlooking it on Harmony and absolutely loved it. It was time spent out there on Allure that influenced the decision to book that room for Harmony.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk