Disney Cruise Line
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:41 PM.
#21
10,339 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by gometros
I remember reading about all the issues with maiden voyage. But, it was the very first sailing of DCL and hopefully they've learned a thing or two from that experience.
They've improved the guest experience with each new launch. They've learned to workout the "bugs" on the ship in advance (we had ALL the ice machines become non-functional, for instance), they've learned to schedule activities in ways that spread out passengers, and they've learned that they need to bring CMs on board well before the launch so that they are fully trained and ready to go. However, no matter what they do, there will always be a difference between a celebrity or charity shake down cruise with relatively few passengers and that first cruise with a full load.

My reading indicates that cruise ships have a useful life of about 40 years...I hope the Magic serves out that full life expectancy. Skipper is right--it will be interesting to see what happens. South America is certainly closer, but there is no real Disney presence there. Asia would be a bigger commitment to get there, but there are tie ins to the two Tokyo parks, Shanghai, etc. And it is an easier hop to Australia from Asia. LOTS of possibilities!
#22
1,984 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
can the bigger ships traverse the panama canal? or do they need the wonder/magic for that?

i do hope they keep the little ones, as i much prefer them..

as for the asian market, of course they'll go after it...
disney is hugely popular in the east...
.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
_________________

Beth
#24
264 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by DCLCrazy
Wow! Well hopefully that was due to never having experience in the cruising industry. I really just want the cool merchandise that come with it.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
From what I've read, it's not a bad idea to avoid the first sailing of any new ship from any company as well as the first sailing or two out of dry dock. It doesn't always have to do with new staff issues.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
April 2018 Disney Wonder - Mexican Riviera
July 2017 Explorer of the Seas - 7 night Alaska
March 2016 Norwegian Jewel - 7 night Mexican Riviera
May 2014 Disney Fantasy - 7 night Western Caribbean
April 2013 Disney Fantasy - 7 night Eastern Caribbean
March 2006 Disney Magic - 7 night Eastern Caribbean
#25
18 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by Tonka's Skipper
The Dream class can go though the new locks....Since the 3 new vessels will only be about 5,000 m/t bigger.........They should also be able to go though the new locks.

AKK
As long as they don't build them too tall so they can't fit under the bridge of the Americas...
#26
10,339 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by NurseDave
From what I've read, it's not a bad idea to avoid the first sailing of any new ship from any company as well as the first sailing or two out of dry dock. It doesn't always have to do with new staff issues.
Absolutely true. And on that maiden voyage, some of our issues were mechanical and structural while other were CM related. The good thing is that I wrote a long letter to DCL after that cruise--told them that if they just wanted to know they had an unhappy customer, stop at the first paragraph. If they wanted details of what was wrong, keep reading. I received a VERY nice letter over the signature of the cruise line president along with a generous discount on any cruise in the next 18 months. We waited almost the entire 18 months before cruising again; everything that had been an issue before had been resolved. I didn't go thru a check list, but our impression was that this was a great cruise. In fact, the first night in bed we discussed the fact that the only thing wrong was that it was too short (4 nights). Before the end of the cruise, the CD announced the start of 7 night cruises! Yeah, they got us hooked.
#27
Florida
623 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by GarlicBread
As long as they don't build them too tall so they can't fit under the bridge of the Americas...


Our tampa city planner didn't think that one through either. The skyway bridge is so short and doesn't have a bridge that opens up that none of the large cruise ships can come through. They've lost a ton of money for the city for this reason. IMHO.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DCLCrazy

Carnival Inspiration- Cancun 12/16/04
NCL Pride of America- Hawaiian Islands 12/31/05
Royal Caribbean Radiance- Alaska 06/01/07
Disney Dream- Bahamas 1/24/13
Disney Dream- Bahamas 10/20/13
Disney Magic- Bahamas 1/24/14
Disney Fantasy- Eastern Caribbean 6/28/14
Royal Caribbean Enchantment- Bahamas 11/10/14
Disney Dream- Bahamas 12/05/14
Disney Dream- Bahamas 11/30/15
Disney Dream- Bahamas 2/05/16
Disney Dream- Bahamas 6/10/16
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 12/4/16
Disney Dream - Bahamas 2/24/17
NCL Jade - Canada 10/6/17

Upcoming Cruises:





#28
Saint Cloud, FL
1,059 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by Tonka's Skipper
The Dream class can go though the new locks....Since the 3 new vessels will only be about 5,000 m/t bigger.........They should also be able to go though the new locks.

AKK
Since the "ducktails" have been added to both Magic and Wonder, they no longer fit in the old locks. Wonder was the first cruise ship to use the new locks when headed to the west coast this year. The new locks can handle ships up to 1,200 feet long.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DCL "Magic" - Feb '05 - 7 night Eastern;
DCL "Wonder" - Jan '07 - 3 night Nassau;
DCL "Magic" - Feb '09 - 7 night Western;
DCL "Wonder" - Oct '09 - 3 night Nassau;
DCL "Dream" - May '11 - 4 night Nassau;
DCL "Dream" - Sept '11 - DVC Member Cruise - 4 night - 2 stops @ CC;
DCL "Fantasy" - February '13 - 7 night Eastern;
DCL "Dream" - Aug '15 - DVC Member Cruise - 4 nights - 2 stops @ CC;
DCL "Magic" - May '16 - 14 night Eastbound Transatlantic;
DCL "Dream" - Dec '16 - 3 night Nassau;
NCL "Pearl" - Mar '17 - 10 night Panama Canal;
DCL "Fantasy" - Sep '17 - 7 night Eastern; NOPE - "Irma" had other ideas
DCL "Dream" - Feb '18 - 3 night Nassau;
DCL "Fantasy" - May '18 - 7 night Western.
#29
10,339 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Ability to go thru the old locks was one of the considerations in the size of the Magic and Wonder when they were built. They were 1 foot short of the maximum permitted size at that time. Of course, the ship must fit in three dimensions...but I can't imagine DCL being so short sighted as to not consider this in the design.

The delay in the opening of the new locks was a major reason the upgrading of the Wonder was postponed.
#30
australia
73 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Love to see a itinerary that runs from Hawaii to Australia could stop at all the island like Bora Bora, Fiji Vanuatu , New Caladonia. Could be a nice long 14 nighter.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


#31
10,339 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by bluesub
Love to see a itinerary that runs from Hawaii to Australia could stop at all the island like Bora Bora, Fiji Vanuatu , New Caladonia. Could be a nice long 14 nighter.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
That cruise would sell out on day 1.
#32
1,177 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Originally posted by Tonka's Skipper
This is going to be a lot of changes with the DCL fleet with a total of 7 vessls. The present 4 vessels are already *Green* ships with most things state of the art/environmentally friendly. Something like all of the items used on the vessels from food waste to paper and cans, only 8 % goes ashore as waste. The rest is all set up to be recycled.

The big change with the 3 new ships is DCL is making the next step in environmentally with the propulsion fuel being liquid natural gas..........about the cleanest thing around for ships. I am also glad DCL did not go to the size of the monster vessels out there now.............I just don't like the look or feel of these things!. I also found it interesting the D 23 people were making a big deal about all kinds of new stuff on the 3 new vessels and new adventures, It should be interesting to see what they come up with.

The classics are in pretty good shape and not likely to be retired by Disney for 10 or 15 years. My own thoughts is that one classic will go to South American and the other to Europe full time One of the Dream or the new class going to the far east.

In any case it will be fun to watch this all unfold.


AKK
I was hoping you or one of the other nautical experts would chime in. For us laymen, could you briefly explain the difference in the propulsion systems from what is currently used? Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandy

Carnival Fantasy 12/96
Disney Magic 8/98, 11/01, 7/03, 10/08, 9/12, 10/14, 10/14, 9/16, 9/18
Disney Wonder 7/00, 10/06, 9/15
Disney Fantasy 9/12, 9/13, 10/17
Disney Dream 6/16, 5/17

Carnival Legend 9/06

QM2 11/09
Carnival Freedom 9/10
Sapphire Princess 6/13


#33
10,339 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
While DCL does many things in an environmentally friendly manner, their big problem currently is their fuel. The only ship that consistently scores an A or A- regardless of the scoring agency is the Wonder...and that was required to cruise in Alaska. The Magic scored an F in air pollution and the newer ships a C. There are issues with how they power the ships while in port as well...my limited understanding is that some ships can basically "plug in" to shoreside power and run cleaner while the Magic has to continue to use it's internal systems. Most lines have ships that score very high and ships typically older ships that don't do as well. At least DCL has not been found to deliberately do anything to harm the environment (avoiding the laws, like some cruise lines were caught doing).
#34
106 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Several thoughts:
1. Disney indicates 7 ships, so in the near term retirement seems unlikely. As someone indicated - 10 to 15 years;
2. While Disney has no presence in South America, they have many passengers from that region. Cruising there may makes sense. Expands the market.
3. A common theme is "Asia". Couple that with the occasional South Pacific itinerary. For DCL, these are new cruise markets, with a new base of passengers who are willing to pay premiums for the kinds of experiences Disney creates. I do not see price compression at DCL.
Lots of opinions in these threads. I would love to see lower prices but I don't see that happening. I never give DCL high marks on value as they need to know their loyal passenger base is price sensitive at some point.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
#35
1,984 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by Tonka's Skipper
This is going to be a lot of changes with the DCL fleet with a total of 7 vessls. The present 4 vessels are already *Green* ships with most things state of the art/environmentally friendly. Something like all of the items used on the vessels from food waste to paper and cans, only 8 % goes ashore as waste. The rest is all set up to be recycled.

The big change with the 3 new ships is DCL is making the next step in environmentally with the propulsion fuel being liquid natural gas..........about the cleanest thing around for ships. I am also glad DCL did not go to the size of the monster vessels out there now.............I just don't like the look or feel of these things!. I also found it interesting the D 23 people were making a big deal about all kinds of new stuff on the 3 new vessels and new adventures, It should be interesting to see what they come up with.

The classics are in pretty good shape and not likely to be retired by Disney for 10 or 15 years. My own thoughts is that one classic will go to South American and the other to Europe full time One of the Dream or the new class going to the far east.

In any case it will be fun to watch this all unfold.


AKK
if we get one of the classics permanently near us, we'll be in seventh heaven...
right now DCL has a very short european cruise season making it very difficult to find a time to cruise with them (not to mention the high prices on the med/european cruises)......
on the other hand, if they have a ship permanently on this side of the ocean, i'll lose my bucket list dream of a DCL TA....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
_________________

Beth
#36
Southeastern US
82 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Originally posted by gometros
I was hoping you or one of the other nautical experts would chime in. For us laymen, could you briefly explain the difference in the propulsion systems from what is currently used? Thanks.
I agree. For me, the mechanical side of the ship is more interesting than the hospitality side.

There is a green background graphic on a page from a blog that gives some stats on the Wonder. The graphic lists the Wonder running on a combination of diesel and bunker oil for the 2016 Westbound Panama Canal cruise. I think that diesel (cleaner, more expensive) is for use while in port, and bunker oil (less clean, less expensive) is used while at sea. On the canal cruise, the ratio of diesel to bunker oil on the Wonder was about 1:100.

If a new ship is designed to use liquid natural gas, would that be for use only in port (with diesel/bunker oil for use at sea) or all propulsion? In other words, is this about being "green" in port or at all times? I'm not trying to judge whether anyone is truly advocating for the environment. I am just genuinely interested on how these ships operate.
#37
10,339 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by chemistrynerd
I agree. For me, the mechanical side of the ship is more interesting than the hospitality side.

There is a green background graphic on a page from a blog that gives some stats on the Wonder. The graphic lists the Wonder running on a combination of diesel and bunker oil for the 2016 Westbound Panama Canal cruise. I think that diesel (cleaner, more expensive) is for use while in port, and bunker oil (less clean, less expensive) is used while at sea. On the canal cruise, the ratio of diesel to bunker oil on the Wonder was about 1:100.

If a new ship is designed to use liquid natural gas, would that be for use only in port (with diesel/bunker oil for use at sea) or all propulsion? In other words, is this about being "green" in port or at all times? I'm not trying to judge whether anyone is truly advocating for the environment. I am just genuinely interested on how these ships operate.
The situation that they get into is that certain areas of the world and some ports have imposed more stringent standards--if the ships don't meet the standards, they can't cruise or dock in those areas.
#38
California
36 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
There's going to be massive amounts of speculation about the new ships, where they'll be based, the disposition of the rest of the fleet, but when it comes down to it, it is utterly pointless to make any guesses until the first of the new ships sets sail, in 4 years, then 5 years for the next and 6 years for the final ship. Until then all we can do is wait and see what DCL decides. There's so many factors involved that will have a bearing on what they're going to do with the new ships, I'm sure they already have a long term plan in place, but as Disney does, they always allow for changes. There could be many factors that predicate where they'll finally locate the fleet, political climate in various countries (including the U.S.), economic changes that could send the industry into a tail spin, and of course cost of operating in many ports or countries could be too prohibitive for DCL to even consider them. Sure it's great to wish for itineraries in many new and exciting places but DCL has to stay conscious of their bottom line and to their shareholders about responsible operations. I'm not so much worried about where the ships go as I am about getting more information about the design, features, venues and of course the construction of the ships (from a behind the scenes standpoint) Learning about the ships as they're built might give an indication about their intended use and destinations. Anyway this is just my opinion about the issue.
#39
Florida
623 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by BartmanLA
There's going to be massive amounts of speculation about the new ships, where they'll be based, the disposition of the rest of the fleet, but when it comes down to it, it is utterly pointless to make any guesses until the first of the new ships sets sail, in 4 years, then 5 years for the next and 6 years for the final ship. Until then all we can do is wait and see what DCL decides. There's so many factors involved that will have a bearing on what they're going to do with the new ships, I'm sure they already have a long term plan in place, but as Disney does, they always allow for changes. There could be many factors that predicate where they'll finally locate the fleet, political climate in various countries (including the U.S.), economic changes that could send the industry into a tail spin, and of course cost of operating in many ports or countries could be too prohibitive for DCL to even consider them. Sure it's great to wish for itineraries in many new and exciting places but DCL has to stay conscious of their bottom line and to their shareholders about responsible operations. I'm not so much worried about where the ships go as I am about getting more information about the design, features, venues and of course the construction of the ships (from a behind the scenes standpoint) Learning about the ships as they're built might give an indication about their intended use and destinations. Anyway this is just my opinion about the issue.


There are too many serious people in this world. I enjoy speculating where they will go. It's called daydreaming. That's how Disney got his start in the first place. With dreaming, no?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DCLCrazy

Carnival Inspiration- Cancun 12/16/04
NCL Pride of America- Hawaiian Islands 12/31/05
Royal Caribbean Radiance- Alaska 06/01/07
Disney Dream- Bahamas 1/24/13
Disney Dream- Bahamas 10/20/13
Disney Magic- Bahamas 1/24/14
Disney Fantasy- Eastern Caribbean 6/28/14
Royal Caribbean Enchantment- Bahamas 11/10/14
Disney Dream- Bahamas 12/05/14
Disney Dream- Bahamas 11/30/15
Disney Dream- Bahamas 2/05/16
Disney Dream- Bahamas 6/10/16
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 12/4/16
Disney Dream - Bahamas 2/24/17
NCL Jade - Canada 10/6/17

Upcoming Cruises:





#40
10,339 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by BartmanLA
There's going to be massive amounts of speculation about the new ships, where they'll be based, the disposition of the rest of the fleet, but when it comes down to it, it is utterly pointless to make any guesses until the first of the new ships sets sail, in 4 years, then 5 years for the next and 6 years for the final ship. Until then all we can do is wait and see what DCL decides. There's so many factors involved that will have a bearing on what they're going to do with the new ships, I'm sure they already have a long term plan in place, but as Disney does, they always allow for changes. There could be many factors that predicate where they'll finally locate the fleet, political climate in various countries (including the U.S.), economic changes that could send the industry into a tail spin, and of course cost of operating in many ports or countries could be too prohibitive for DCL to even consider them. Sure it's great to wish for itineraries in many new and exciting places but DCL has to stay conscious of their bottom line and to their shareholders about responsible operations. I'm not so much worried about where the ships go as I am about getting more information about the design, features, venues and of course the construction of the ships (from a behind the scenes standpoint) Learning about the ships as they're built might give an indication about their intended use and destinations. Anyway this is just my opinion about the issue.
You are totally correct that DCL has a plan and probably a couple alternate possibilities ready. However, they do monitor some of the boards and they do take guest feedback into account...whether that feedback is on the boards, on the evaluations at the end of the cruise, on line survey forms, or in other communications with guest relations. They asked questions about Alaska and Med cruises for years on the feedback form before those cruises became reality. It doesn't hurt to put in words what people would like to see, whether it is "just wishing" or whether it is a form of direct communication. It isn't all that different than the Imagineers' Blue Sky sessions--any idea can be voiced and none is wrong or shot down. Essentially put it out there and see if anything sticks.

No, I don't really believe that DCL will change their plans based on what they see on internet forums...but they might be presented with some options that they hadn't placed on their "front burner."