Best Shoes for Alaska?

xqueenfrostine

Sketchers.....they are great....I live in Alaska....Unless I am doing heavy hard hikes....and most of you won't....you can go almost any where with them....If you are going out in the bush...carrying a pack...or doing a multi-day dog sled trip in February, you don't need a lot of special clothes...Honest...and Sketcher's wash well....AND, there is an Sketcher's outlet store in Anchorage...In the mall by the general aviation airport.

I have worn my Merrell MOAB Waterproof (WP) many days in Alaska and have never had wet feet in spite of lots of rain. The Merrell arch supports and gripping soles were game changers for me.
Glad to here it. Turns out that the Brooks Ghost GTX doesn't come in wide and I need wide so I bought the Merrill Moab WP today.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Glad to here it. Turns out that the Brooks Ghost GTX doesn't come in wide and I need wide so I bought the Merrill Moab WP today.

Oops, my head knows the difference between "hear" & "here" but sometimes my fingers go on autopilot.

Hi Meralda17Sue--I am also waiting for a reply to the same question re. "best spray"! Oh well, may just wrap my shoes in plastic wrap.

I've used Kiwi Protect-All spray (leather and fabric footwear) available on Amazon and at Walmart. Worked well on suede walking shoes and fabric athletic shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

Waterproof overshoes

We just bought Raingard legs at a motorcycle bike fest They are $20 each and go over regular shoes. Zipped sides. xl for him (size 10 ). small for her (size 8)

We wanted to try them on (rather than purchasing over the internet) so we went to the bikefest specifically looking for waterproof overshoes.

We are going to Alaska in August for 3 weeks. We haven’t used these yet so can’t give a review.

Just another idea for keeping feet dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When read this thread, I feel I am out as I haven’t got even one for Alaska trip. I have only sport shoes. I want to buy some and send to the hotel in Seattle where I will be before joining Alaska cruise tours. But i might get wrong size if no try them on. It is too expensive in my country. I have no idea about those kind of shoes before as no need them.

Can I find some stuff for Alaska trip in Seattle? What time the department stores open and close? Please give me advise. I am very nervous. Especially my mom does not want to wear closed toe shoe.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When read this thread, I feel I am out as I haven’t got even one for Alaska trip. I have only sport shoes. I want to buy some and send to the hotel in Seattle where I will be before joining Alaska cruise tours. But i might get wrong size if no try them on. It is too expensive in my country. I have no idea about those kind of shoes before as no need them.

Can I find some stuff for Alaska trip in Seattle? What time the department stores open and close? Please give me advise. I am very nervous. Especially my mom does not want to wear closed toe shoe.

Thanks

My first time in Alaska, I didn't take any special shoes & it was fine. My traveling companions weren't hikers.

This time, I'm traveling solo & am.planning some hikes so I want something that will be comfortable regardless of the weather.

If you are sticking to activities that your mom can do, you probably wouldn't need waterproof shoes. I think that closed-toe shoes would be best for keeping feet warm & protected.

Thanks

Most of my trips to Alaska did not include waterproof shoes and I was fine.

Just spray some athletic shoes with water proof spray (I didn't even do this on my trips).