Bed Rail or Other Creative Solutions for a Toddler

Tennant

We are traveling with our 18 mth old son in Solstice in September. I’m worried he will be too big for the cruise line provided pack and play. Some options I’m considering:

1.) buying a portable bed rail for use on the couch. Anyone done this? If so, what rail did you buy, how did it work and how did you transport it?

2.) I’ve read some reviews about flipping the couch backwards against the wall and having it made up as a bed. Anyone done this?

3.) Any other creative ideas?

Will also post on family board but I’m hoping to get feedback specific to Solstice ships so I know the solution will work.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a pool “noodle” and a partial roll of duct tape and tape it along the edge of the bed onto the mattress, under the bottom sheet. I have used this for the past 3 years at our house for the grandkids and my daughter uses this method at home as well. It is enough of a hump to prevent them rolling off the bed and very lightweight to pack in your suitcase.

The couch converts to a single bed length wise (they remove the seat cushions and add a mattress) so you only have one open side. It would be ok for an almost 2 year old. They put the cushions between the wall and the couch. Just place the cushions on the floor in case he rolls out. I bought blow up bed rails. You would only need one. Much better and easier to pack than a pool noodle. You slip it under the sheets. The alternative is the couch has a drawer with a mattress. I bet they would make that up. It is practically on the ground so you wouldn’t have to worry about him falling out. I found a picture online of what the couch and pull out look like. They must on occasion make up the drawer rather then the pull down as our cabin steward has asked which we prefer. We always use the couch and pull down, but you can see the two items I am referring to in the picture. IMG_5016.JPG.4d94690490ffefe1a1080c1b008f7a62.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Forums

IMG_5015.JPG.2ff3fc9c1cfbea24857ab68ba7d60fe6.JPG

Thanks so much, that gives us a good idea. He sleeps in a crib at home but by the time we go will sleep on a cot at daycare so it won’t be a totally new experience. Sure would make the cabin more roomy if we didn’t have the pack and play!

I was going to suggest the lower sofa drawer, or the blow up bed rails, but see they have already been mentioned.

I cannot imagine trying to fit a swim noodle in a suitcase.:D I use swim noodles for my grandson as the bed he sleeps in when visiting is a high iron bed. Works perfectly for keeping him safe. I just slip the noodles under the fitted mattress. No need for duct tape. :confused::confused:

My 19 month old granddaughter still sleeps in our pack n play. Plenty of room!

We have cabin 7288 which is for 3, not 4. Do all couches have the pull out drawer bed underneath? Can’t believe I never noticed this was a pull out bed on our prior solstice class cruises!

No not all staterooms have this, but I do believe that all standard staterooms accommodating more than 2 persons have them. Some passengers have reported using the drawer for storage, like shoes. However, sometimes the room attendant keeps bedding in them.

Easy...peasy.....Just have your cabin steward roll up a bath towel (or two) and put under the edge of the sheet...this works great. Cabin stewards (and onboard staff) are very creative when it comes to little cruiser's and their needs... Enjoy !!

I would be very surprised if he didn't fit in the pack n play. Our almost 3 year old grandson who is very tall naps in mine and has plenty of room.

The dollar store sells short noodles that would fit in a suitcase.

You could also use one of those light sleeping bag liners.

If you ge a double one you can fold part of it down the back of the sofa so it cannot slide off the couch. Junior will be snug as a bug inside the light liner and can’t fall off the couch.

You could also use one of those light sleeping bag liners.

If you ge a double one you can fold part of it down the back of the sofa so it cannot slide off the couch. Junior will be snug as a bug inside the light liner and can’t fall off the couch.

What a great and simple idea...

I would be very surprised if he didn't fit in the pack n play. Our almost 3 year old grandson who is very tall naps in mine and has plenty of room.

The dollar store sells short noodles that would fit in a suitcase.

The noodles need to be the extra wide noodles. I am pretty sure that the noodles at the dollar store are the thin noodles. I found my wide noodles at Lowe's Garden Center a few of years ago when we took my grandson out of the pack n play...about 2.5 years.