Trying to convince my brother in law that Seabourn is the way to go for Transatlantic

SLSD

Loved the transatlantic we did last year from Barbados to Monte Carlo on Seabourn, having done previous transatlantics on bigger Celebrity and HAL ships (no Cunard). Doing another on Seabourn TA in November from Lisbon to Barbados. The main issue as already pointed out by TV24 is that Seabourn often has Barbados as their starting or ending point on transatlantics, making it more difficult. On the alcohol topic, was super impressed by the "upcharge" when we got a round of Yamazaki 18 - $4 per person! Otherwise was very happy with level of standard pours, like the bottle of Hendricks gin stocked in our in-cabin bar (the Chablis in our fridge was pretty good too!). Good arguments here for both Cunard and Seabourn - if I had limited time would do Cunard, but otherwise the overall great service and "product" of Seabourn would be my pick.

Getting back on topic, I'll wade in and add that I have no experience whatsoever of Cunard, but a TA, Lisbon to St. Martin, back in 2012, on Seabourn Spirit remians one of the most memorable and enjoyable of our Seabourn cruises. The great thing about TA's on Seabourn is that they are so relaxing. Nine days without having to do much except enjoy convivial company and conversation around the Sky Bar, or any other bar that takes your fancy, take in all that fresh air, pause to stop and stare out to sea, spot the odd whale, read a few books, R=E=L=A=X, and be looked after in the usual Seabourn manner. The ships are rarely full, so it is a more intimate atmosphere as one gets to know all one's fellow passengers (by sight, if not by name), and the crew, less pressured, get to know you. There is a sense of a special experience shared, a community together in the vastnes of a mighty ocean, especially in one of the small ships. There was not another ship to be seen, not a plane nor vapour trail. The sky on a clear night just a dazzling display of countless, infinite stars. Stopping in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean one night to have a Rock the Boat party was a sureal experience. There were magnificent sunsets, and the early morning approach to Maderia was unforgettable.

I don't think you can get all that, some aspects, maybe, but not the whole mix, on a big Cunarder. I don't know what it is like on an O class ship, but I guess not far removed. They make take longer, but as the song goes, they're built for comfort not for speed.

Agree. We love TA's for all the reasons above. They do have a unique atmosphere and we know a few people who only do TAs. Others find the idea of 7+ consecutive seadays far from land rather intimidating or worry about being "bored".

We have only done one trans-atlantic and really enjoyed it. The 9 sea days in a row were very relaxing and we never got bored. Although there was some 'cliquiness' from one group that, we were told, only did crossings, that certainly didn't impinge on the enjoyment of the experience.

We have also done a trans-pacific (Sydney to Los Angeles) which was even better and are looking for to our upcoming trans-Indian in a couple of weeks.

Need input to help with 2019 plans for return from Oktoberfest. We would love to do Seabourn as the south Atlantic to Barbados is exactly what we would like. However, Seabourn doesn't seem to offer the frequency of departures as other lines. But the reviews on Seabourn and the description of amenities has me blown away.

Currently, I only see one west bound sailing that might work and that's probably longer than we would want to spend after doing 14 days traveling around Germany, Austria, etc. Any chance we could board at some port other than the one showing as the starting point. Any chance they might add additional cruises between now and Sept/Oct 2019.

Although there was some 'cliquiness' from one group that, we were told, only did crossings, that certainly didn't impinge on the enjoyment of the experience.

Not at all. They seem to enjoy themselves and it’s nice to see people make such solid and long enduring friendships aboard Seabourn ships.

Their “you can’t sit with us” aloofness was humorous, once one got over the initial sting of it. I still giggle at the utter - and hopefully unintended - rudeness of one of their members when we dared to ask if she might want to join OUR trivia team... “Oh no... our team is already set and no, we don’t have room for you.”

Jim and I are signed on to do the Lisbon-Barbados transatlantic in November. I too may have become an addict with all those luxurious sea days!