Options before and after cruise for hotel and sightseeing

JCJR824

We will be driving in from SE Michigan on Feb 24th for a 12 night on Anthem. After browsing the posts here it looks like trinity reservations might be the most economical since it includes parking. (Still open to other suggestions)

Would the Ramada in Newark, HI in Cartaret, or Crown Plaza in Elizabeth be the best option?

We get back the Morning of Mar 9 and want to spend Friday and Saturday in Manhattan. We plan to see Times Square, 9/11 memorial, Brooklyn Bridge and possibly more if we have time. (Open to other suggestions of things to see)

1. What hotel would be our best option to stay at? We will have our truck so we’re thinking staying in Jersey and taking the train would be the most economical.

2. The subways look absolutely confusing. I am thinking Times Square and Brooklyn Bridge on Friday and 9/11 memorial on Saturday. I am open to other orders of events and other things we may have time to do. We will have our 9 year old daughter so it would need to be kid friendly.

I'm going to let Carol discuss the Jersey options; not my specialty. But I will suggest that staying about an hour away from the port and parking at the port may be a more economical option, and something to consider; you're almost certainly moving the vehicle for your two nights in Manhattan anyway.

Again, passing off to Carol, there are options to park in Jersey and train or even ferry into Manhattan. With hotel parking easily hitting $60+ per night, those may be better options, just add up the cost of parking plus the transportation into Manhattan.

The subways are only moderately confusing. There are iPhone apps that will tell you how to go from A to B to C. You do have to be sure you're on an Uptown platform if going Uptown, for instance, and in some places you enter the subway through different entrances depending on which way you're going. But it's doable.

There are lots of options for two days. I generally would not recommend traveling downtown for two separate days (the 9/11 Memorial and Brooklyn Bridge, for instance, are both downtown). I'd tend to recommend a trip to Battery Park, a walk up Broadway past the Financial District to City Hall and the Brooklyn Bridge (not sure I'd plan to cross it that time of year; it could be COOOOOOLD!), then a relatively short walk across lower Manhattan to the 9/11 Museum. Then a Midtown day with Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, Fifth Avenue and Central Park. Those are both busy days, but very doable. And, you'd have a lot of hotel options, either downtown near the WTC PATH station, or Midtown near Penn Station (for instance).

First thoughts. Not a New Yorker, but a very frequent visitor (Amtrak to Penn Station tomorrow for Thanksgiving, and Springsteen on Broadway tomorrow night :):):):):)!).

Definitely the Ramada or Crowne Plaza. Parking alone at the port would be $240. For $224 tax included you can get a hotel room, 21 days Parking, and round trip port transportation for 3 people at the Ramada and the same for $253 tax included at Crowne Plaza with breakfast.

What is your post cruise hotel budget? How big is your truck?

Definitely the Ramada or Crowne Plaza. Parking alone at the port would be $240. For $224 tax included you can get a hotel room, 21 days Parking, and round trip port transportation for 3 people at the Ramada and the same for $253 tax included at Crowne Plaza with breakfast.

That’s why I stay out of Jersey :)! (Other than Freehold.)

But, they may have lots of options for the weeken. Budget and parking, as always...

Ram 1500. For a budget I would like to stay under $300 for two nights including parking if possible.

Which of the two hotels you recommended would have the best views?

I'm going to let Carol discuss the Jersey options; not my specialty. But I will suggest that staying about an hour away from the port and parking at the port may be a more economical option, and something to consider; you're almost certainly moving the vehicle for your two nights in Manhattan anyway.

Again, passing off to Carol, there are options to park in Jersey and train or even ferry into Manhattan. With hotel parking easily hitting $60+ per night, those may be better options, just add up the cost of parking plus the transportation into Manhattan.

The subways are only moderately confusing. There are iPhone apps that will tell you how to go from A to B to C. You do have to be sure you're on an Uptown platform if going Uptown, for instance, and in some places you enter the subway through different entrances depending on which way you're going. But it's doable.

There are lots of options for two days. I generally would not recommend traveling downtown for two separate days (the 9/11 Memorial and Brooklyn Bridge, for instance, are both downtown). I'd tend to recommend a trip to Battery Park, a walk up Broadway past the Financial District to City Hall and the Brooklyn Bridge (not sure I'd plan to cross it that time of year; it could be COOOOOOLD!), then a relatively short walk across lower Manhattan to the 9/11 Museum. Then a Midtown day with Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, Fifth Avenue and Central Park. Those are both busy days, but very doable. And, you'd have a lot of hotel options, either downtown near the WTC PATH station, or Midtown near Penn Station (for instance).

First thoughts. Not a New Yorker, but a very frequent visitor (Amtrak to Penn Station tomorrow for Thanksgiving, and Springsteen on Broadway tomorrow night :):):):):)!).

Thank you! That gives us so much more to do.

Marriott Courtyard Jersey City has a great weekend deal for March 9-11 - $172.71 tax included for a King and a sofabed plus breakfast! Valet parking is $26/ day. This puts you right next to the Newport PATH station with a 7 minute ride to World Trade and 15 minutes to midtown Herald Square. Fare is $2.75/pp. This is a very reasonable price and unbelievably convenient from a transportation standpoint. IMO a super choice to balance time, money, and stress, particularly with a young child. Reservation is cancellable and the hotel has a pool.

If you decide to do this, post back and I will explain the PATH trains and why you should do downtown on Friday and midtown on Saturday,

Ram 1500. For a budget I would like to stay under $300 for two nights including parking if possible.

None of them are really going to have any views- they're all in short buildings in very industrial areas surrounded by a bunch of refineries. You may have a fleeting view of a runway at Newark. But I wouldn't take views into consideration for these at all- it's not like you'll see much of NYC from them.

The Newark Airport hotels don't have views. The package at the Ramada or the Crowne Plaza is for Feb 24 and gives you your hotel room, parking for the duration of the cruise, and round trip port transportation.

For post cruise I'm suggesting Jersey City because of the easy quick transportation, reasonable hotel, and reasonable parking for this area. The Waterfront walkway in this area will have spectacular views of lower Manhattan. Other hotels may be less, but the time and transportation costs will add up for 3 people. You have to look at the big picture of all the costs. For example the train to midtown from Newark Airport hotels is $13/pp for adults and $8.25 for kids each way!

Another option is staying in Secaucus and getting to Midtown by bus. This is fine for midtown(about 30 minutes travel time),but you would have to take the subway from midtown to downtown (about an hour travel time).

Still another option is staying in downtown Newark with access to PATH to downtown and NJ Transit train to midtown ($5.25/pp for adults and half price for under 12). But Newark is a highly industrialized urban area that you might not want to wander around at night.

Marriott Courtyard Jersey City has a great weekend deal for March 9-11 - $172.71 tax included for a King and a sofabed plus breakfast! Valet parking is $26/ day. This puts you right next to the Newport PATH station with a 7 minute ride to World Trade and 15 minutes to midtown Herald Square. Fare is $2.75/pp. This is a very reasonable price and unbelievably convenient from a transportation standpoint. IMO a super choice to balance time, money, and stress, particularly with a young child. Reservation is cancellable and the hotel has a pool.

If you decide to do this, post back and I will explain the PATH trains and why you should do downtown on Friday and midtown on Saturday,

Where did you find that Marriott rate? I looked tonight and it’s $150 a night.

Where did you find that Marriott rate? I looked tonight and it’s $150 a night.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ewrnw-courtyard-jersey-city-newport/

This is a Marriott Rewards rate. It is free to join Marriott rewards - there is no downside to doing it. The free breakfast is a good deal. When we stayed at this hotel we found the food to be pricey, but it's basically New York so no surprise.

Here's the PATH map - not nearly as confusing at the NYC subway map. IMO very fast and easy for out of towners to get to midtown and downtown where you can then walk to your sightseeing objectives. https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

1 room(s) for 2 night(s) Prices in USDFriday, March 9, 2018

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Total cash rate. 304.00

Estimated government taxes and fees 41.42

Total for stay in hotel's currency

• 345.42 USD

MARRIOTT REWARDS WEEKEND BONUS PROMO, breakfast for 4 guests, see Rate details

Additional Information

• Stay 2 nights and get 15 percent off with 500 bonus points (per
  • stay) over Thurs-Sun stays, on select weekends. Breakfast for
  • up to 2 adults and 2 children.

Holding Your Reservation

• We will need a credit card number to reserve your room.

Cancelling Your Reservation

• You may cancel your reservation for no charge until March 7, 2018 (02 day before arrival).
  • Please note that we will assess a fee of 172.71 USD if you must cancel after this deadline.If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card.

Ok I am all set for the Courtyard. You mentioned downtown on Friday. Is that due to the path schedule?

Look closely at the map. PATH runs a combined schedule on weekends and late night overnight which affects going from the Newport Station to World Trade Center by requiring a transfer at Grove St. On a Friday trains run from Hoboken to World Trade directly with a stop at Newport and no transfer. On a Saturday trains run from Newport to 33rd St with a stop in Hoboken. This takes a few minutes longer, but no transfer is required.

It doesn't really matter where you go when as long as you understand how the different route options work on a Friday and Saturday.

I'm so glad you got this deal! I don't often get to recommend Jersey City hotels because they are too pricey for folk's dates. I think you've gotten an excellent balance of time, money, and stress for post cruise sightseeing in NYC.

• 1 month later...

We plan to do all of these things. Is there anything that we should buy tickets for in advance?

The 9/11 Museum is a timed entry ticket; I'd get that in advance. If you decide to go to the Statue of Liberty while in Lower Manhattan, I'd get that in advance as well (that's not on your list; it's another 2-3 hours at least if you spend any time on Ellis Island). The 9/11 Museum's web page suggests at least 2 hours, and I don't think that includes touring the memorial grounds.

If you intend to go up either the Empire State Building or Top of the Rock, I'd book that in advance as well.

Otherwise, the rest of that is on your own and at your own pace.

I'd recommend The Holland Hotel. It is a 5 minute (safe) walk to the PATH, $90ish per night including free parking and basic breakfast. You can leave your truck there for $100 for the week you are gone. You could even take the light rail to 34th street and Uber it to port (approx. $11 for the last few blocks to the ship from the station). If you google it (or tripadvisor) you'll see plenty of great reviews by others for trips similar to yours

I'd recommend The Holland Hotel. It is a 5 minute (safe) walk to the PATH, $90ish per night including free parking and basic breakfast. You can leave your truck there for $100 for the week you are gone. You could even take the light rail to 34th street and Uber it to port (approx. $11 for the last few blocks to the ship from the station). If you google it (or tripadvisor) you'll see plenty of great reviews by others for trips similar to yours

This hotel is literally on the inbound access road (12th St) to the Holland Tunnel a half block from the toll booths. It has apparently been buffed up and charges "budget" prices compared to other hotels in the area. Read the reviews closely - the ones that talk about all night traffic noise could be very accurate depending on your room location. One repeating theme is that the basement rooms are musty. Folks not used to highly urban areas might find the hotel off putting - folks mention a visible security presence. I used to live in that area and I wouldn't consider doing the walk between PATH and the hotel later at night.

This hotel is literally on the inbound access road (12th St) to the Holland Tunnel a half block from the toll booths. It has apparently been buffed up and charges "budget" prices compared to other hotels in the area. Read the reviews closely - the ones that talk about all night traffic noise could be very accurate depending on your room location. One repeating theme is that the basement rooms are musty. Folks not used to highly urban areas might find the hotel off putting - folks mention a visible security presence. I used to live in that area and I wouldn't consider doing the walk between PATH and the hotel later at night.

Agreed- this was not solid hotel advice. There are plenty of inexpensive budget hotels in Manhattan. This area is sketchy.