Carnival Elation Review: 9/15/18

DarthGrady

Hello everyone, I'm just back from a five night cruise on the Elation. We left from Jacksonville on September 15th, with port calls at Nassau and Half Moon Cay. This was my 25th cruise with Carnival, first on Elation and second from Jacksonville. The Fantasy Class ships are my favorite in the fleet, so I was happy to be back on one after my Splendor cruise last year. Embarkation was pretty fast, but only because we had priority boarding. The lines for security and check-in were long for regular boarding.

The ship is in excellent condition after her extensive refurbishment last year. The cabins are in great shape, and the additions of Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana and the Red Frog Rum Bar have really brought her up to modern standards. I think the Elation's interiors are probably the nicest among the Fantasy Class ships. I was sad to see that the old aft pool area had been removed, but was happy that they left the nightclub in its original configuration. On some of the Fantasy Class ships the nightclub has been chopped in half to make a useless conference room.

I found the food quality onboard to be very good, especially the burgers from Guy's. The sea day brunches were excellent. Service in the main dining room was a bit slow, but the food was decent. We bought sushi a few of the nights, it was delicious. I do miss the old days when the sushi was free though.

We had great service from our room steward and the bar staff. Everyone in our group had the Cheers package, so we became well acquainted with the bartenders. I just wish that Carnival would eliminate their 15 drink per day limit and get in line with every other company that offer unlimited packages.

I only went into Nassau for a few minutes to buy some rum, but we spent the entire day on Half Moon Cay (first and last tenders!). Half Moon is the best private island I've been to. We rented one of the small cabanas for our group which made the day even more enjoyable.

Priority debarkation was very fast, less than 20 minutes from the lounge to the car. This was another awesome cruise, and I just can't say enough about how good the Elation looks at twenty years old. I really hope that Carnival keeps the Fantasy Class ships around for many years to come, they feel like home to me. It's so nice to walk the ship in only a few minutes and see the same folks more than once. I'll try to help with any questions, and I've got a few photos to post as well.

84c699712a4f67d8a32d03a0dc86eb27.jpga43245c9afcca51ac08fab90ad04d708.jpg4d877430a4a78d0042c44b4796a6cc3f.jpgca9e921e5207c8969120a83f9f30f38a.jpg9a01fd0a7ca73e8cc8e7eff089132a37.jpge85ab3013d6c41b98e97301aa55b55ab.jpg

Was just thinking the other day, I've not seen a Grady review in awhile. Glad to see you're back. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, it has been a while since I got to explore a new ship. But I'll be fixing that over the next couple of months! :D I'll be on Grand Classica next week, and MSC Seaside in October, so hopefully I'll be posting up reviews for them as well.

Yes, it has been a while since I got to explore a new ship. But I'll be fixing that over the next couple of months! :D I'll be on Grand Classica next week, and MSC Seaside in October, so hopefully I'll be posting up reviews for them as well.

Oh good! What about Symphony of the Seas?

Thanks for the review! I enjoy the Fantasy class ships as well. I haven’t been on the Elation, but it looks really nice.

It seems like Carnival is investing in them with the new features to keep them fresh, so hopefully they'll be around for a long time. It'll be a sad day for me when the last Fantasy Class ship is gone.

Maybe I'll get lucky and a smaller cruise line will buy them and keep them in the US like the old Celebration.

Oh good! What about Symphony of the Seas?

Unfortunately I don't have her booked yet. I tend to go for the small to medium sized ships, but maybe someday.

Although MSC Seaside is about the same size as Royal's Freedom Class, so that should give me a good bit of material.

Unfortunately I don't have her booked yet. I tend to go for the small to medium sized ships, but maybe someday.

Although MSC Seaside is about the same size as Royal's Freedom Class, so that should give me a good bit of material.

Yeah it was your Freedom of the Seas review a few years back that got me all over those ships. Finally got on that class ship on Independence of the Seas this past March. But I'll never forget the time I was on Carnival Ecstasy and we were docked in Freeport and Independence of the Seas made a last minute unscheduled port stop there. Was first time a ship that size had docked there. I was in awe. Was before I had my first cruise on an Oasis class. Now Oasis class and Freedom class are my favorites.

Can't wait to see your MSC Seaside, that ship looks amazing.

Thank You for doing your review and posting those great photos. My daughter talked her in-laws, and her sister- in- law with family, into cruising with all of us, on the Elation Next March. It will be the first cruise for some, and I am so glad to see the Elation looking so good!

Question. About refurbishing. I have read all of the posts about the Sunshine going in for dry dock. Those toilets and such looked new on the Elation. Will they redo the toilets on the Sunshine? I hope so, The Potty is so close to the shower the way they are now. And I love the Sunshine. We are booked on her too. But this time in one of the Newer cabins.

Thank You for doing your review and posting those great photos. My daughter talked her in-laws, and her sister- in- law with family, into cruising with all of us, on the Elation Next March. It will be the first cruise for some, and I am so glad to see the Elation looking so good!

Question. About refurbishing. I have read all of the posts about the Sunshine going in for dry dock. Those toilets and such looked new on the Elation. Will they redo the toilets on the Sunshine? I hope so, The Potty is so close to the shower the way they are now. And I love the Sunshine. We are booked on her too. But this time in one of the Newer cabins.

I doubt they'll actually move the fixtures since the plumbing comes out of the wall and has to be accessible from the maintenance access panels in the hallways.

They didn't change the layout or size of anything in the bathrooms on Elation (or the other refurbished Fantasy Class ships), they just freshened up the appearance.

I doubt they'll actually move the fixtures since the plumbing comes out of the wall and has to be accessible from the maintenance access panels in the hallways.

They didn't change the layout or size of anything in the bathrooms on Elation (or the other refurbished Fantasy Class ships), they just freshened up the appearance.

They didn't change the layout of current rooms but did add new rooms with grand deck 14. We sailed her in March and really enjoyed it. We are going again in November and have her booked next November as well after her move to Port Caniveral. Spring we are doing a western on the Miracle.