Feeling Wobbly After A Cruise

A lot of people have this experience, but it seems to affect everyone differently. In fact, like some others have mentioned, every voyage can be different. For me the length and intensity seem to depend a great deal on the sea conditions and if I took any anti-nausea medication. More medication seems to mean a longer period of adjustment ashore.

My only advice is if you are really feeling it, be careful if you drive and going up and down stairs.

We had some friends that had the same thing a couple of years ago. They were suffering so bad that the husband was driving at 70 kph on the freeway out of Sydney, and had a big panic attack. The wife was not a driver. They went to a local doctor and had to stay in a motel for a couple of nights until they felt better. I can't remember what the doctor gave them to take. I would say many doctors around Sydney should be familiar with this if you find you get worse symptoms.

• 5 years later...

Friend and I went on a whale watching tour of the coast of Acadia, Maine today. We had a lovely Guatemalan guide named Hugo - highly recommend if you're here.

Boat went out at 8:30AM and we arrived back before 1PM. Friend and I were fine walking around through out the day however after dinner she got very scared as the "walls began to shake side-to-side" and the floor seemed to "bounce back up" after taking a step. We were quite frightened -- thought it was something neurological.

Glad to see others have experienced the same thing! I wonder about the timing for others -- did any of you also have a lag time of several hours since you experienced the "sea legs" ?

Friend and I went on a whale watching tour of the coast of Acadia, Maine today. We had a lovely Guatemalan guide named Hugo - highly recommend if you're here.

Boat went out at 8:30AM and we arrived back before 1PM. Friend and I were fine walking around through out the day however after dinner she got very scared as the "walls began to shake side-to-side" and the floor seemed to "bounce back up" after taking a step. We were quite frightened -- thought it was something neurological.

Glad to see others have experienced the same thing! I wonder about the timing for others -- did any of you also have a lag time of several hours since you experienced the "sea legs" ?

Yes. I've had it happen up to a day or two after a cruise.