Alaska - Pay more for balcony vs outside cabin?

Purifyer

We had a balcony on our June 2017 Alaska cruise and loved it! I even hung my hammock up. We spent a lot of time on our balcony where I kept a pair of binoculars to view the wildlife. We found the space on the open decks could be limited with fellow cruisers trying to see some of the popular sights...And it was just colder on the open decks.

You’ll need to decide if the extra cost is worth it for you. It was for us and will definitely book another balcony next time we cruise to Alaska

Sent from my iPad using Forums

........You’ll need to decide if the extra cost is worth it for you. It was for us and will definitely book another balcony next time we cruise to Alaska

We feel the same way. A balcony was not so important to us when we were in our twenties, but the older we get, the more we appreciate having the balcony.

Another big advantage to being on our own balcony instead of a public deck is that we can just pop inside and everything we may want is conveniently right there within easy reach -- binoculars, spare battery, tissues, another jacket, hat, book, beverages, our own bathroom, sunglasses, sunblock, on and on.

When going out on a public deck, we either need to carry all that stuff around with us, or keep running back to our cabin for whatever we need that we forgot to bring along.

Also, no hunting around for an available seat as you always have your own reserved seat right by the railing, and nobody else is going to stand in front of you blocking your view as you sail along.

Of course, you also still have the option of going out on the public decks whenever you want.

But we feel that we need to be at least somewhat decently dressed to go out on a public deck.

With our own balcony, we can just slip on a bathrobe and step right out there at any hour of the day or night, regardless of how we look.

That is in fact exactly what we do the first thing each morning when we wake up, and the last thing each night before climbing into bed.

We did Alaska on the Millenium. Last June! We had the. Same debate we did a window and were very pleased! The ship was not crowded when we were at Hubbard Glacier, we really would not have used the balcony that much! Always able to sit on deck and see everything! it awas a wonderful cruise so far our favorite! Its totally different then a Caribbean cruise! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree that in Alaska I preferred to be in a larger space to see the scenery...outside decks or Sky Lounge. I’d save the $500 towards another cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree - I've done Alaska with a balcony, OV's, and an inside - I honestly can't say any one was better than the other. I like to be up on deck to see the 360 view. Personally, I would rather spend the $500 on shore excursions, which can be pricey.

If you are looking at the Solstice for 8/24/18, check current prices.

Right now I am seeing lots of veranda staterooms for $1749, and category X (veranda guarantee) for $1649.

I don't know what you paid for your OV, but those are the same prices currently also showing for the OV categories!

If you can snag a covered balcony, you can sit out there and stay dry while you enjoy the views, even when it is raining.

Pick up a couple of deck blankets from the pool deck to keep in your cabin so you can snuggle up and stay warm on your balcony if it is a chilly day.

But you may have some very warm days (shorts and t-shirt days) in Alaska in August.

Well, I paid $200 pp less for the outside cabin. I’m still getting 2 free extras plus an extra $75 OBC. If the price goes down in a few months when they’re trying to fill the ship and they’re not obstructed I will probably get one. But this is an expensive cruise. More port fees and taxes and just overall up charging for, I feel, is because it’s in the USA. MUCH better pricing in the Caribbean. All the way around. Add my airline tickets in and WOW, I’m over $4,000 for the trip! So I better see a whale and it better serve me a drink after jumping around! :cool:

Well, I paid $200 pp less for the outside cabin. I’m still getting 2 free extras plus an extra $75 OBC. If the price goes down in a few months when they’re trying to fill the ship and they’re not obstructed I will probably get one. But this is an expensive cruise. More port fees and taxes and just overall up charging for, I feel, is because it’s in the USA. MUCH better pricing in the Caribbean. All the way around. Add my airline tickets in and WOW, I’m over $4,000 for the trip! So I better see a whale and it better serve me a drink after jumping around! :cool:

Our Alaska cruise in June 2017 wasn’t cheap but it was also the trip of a lifetime. We spent $1,266.00 on one excursion but was worth every dang cent! We did the Dog Sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter....This was for both of us. Absolutely awesome flight up and back...Touring the glacier by Dog Sledding was truly unique.

We also saw whales while in Icy Straight Point...Here is my best picture of a pod of whales feeding?

[ATTACH]417551

IMG_0437.thumb.jpg.a143149cffb4f29dddf54c740cd1557a.jpg

Edited by Psycho and Barb

We've sailed to Alaska 5 times, in balcony, inside cabin, and ocean view. I am so done with inside cabins, but for Alaska I think an ocean view is fine. When we had a balcony we rarely used it as we wanted a much broader view of the scenery. Alaska is the ONLY sailing I will do without a balcony. I think it also might depend on time of year and itinerary. If you are doing early or late sailings and going all the way up to Seward, a balcony will likely be a waste due to the temperature. If you are doing an inside passage round trip out of Seattle or Vancouver, mid-season, then you might be able to actually spend some time there. But still, it really limits your viewing options. Would hate to be stuck on that balcony on the port side, when all the whales are being sighted on the starboard side!

This is what I like about Cruisecritic. If you post an intelligent question, you’ll get intelligent answers and opinions. Thank you all. I currently have a cabin on deck 3, starboard side. But I still might get a balcony if the price is right. Plus, it has a few more square feet to stretch out in!

OP, I think a deck 3 OV cabin would be excellent. That is close enough to the water to enjoy seeing sea otters and other wildlife while in your cabin.