Boarding denied stories

10Jan54

D.W. were at Black Falcon cruise port in Boston Mass. to watch NCL Dawn sail away to Bermuda.

1/2 hour before sailing D.W. meet a sobbing young women.

Turn's out they had a tough time with a flat tire on the way there from Vermont and missed the cut off time for embarkation.

She was sailing with a B.C. and driver's license so they could not even fly to meet the ship.

Complete loss of a cruise cuz of a tire.:(

My brother was almost denied boarding at LAX because his son has the same first name. Steven and Steven but they are not technically senior and junior. However, we always refer to the son as "junior". His travel agent was a friend and knew that so without thinking had put junior on his ticket. Didn't match his passport. We had an early flight out so we had to be at the airport around 5:00 am. The travel agent was called at home and had to work like crazy to get the problem fixed. Took about 1-1/2 hours. They barely made the flight. All because of Jr on the end of his son's name.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I have not personally seen people being denied boarding on a cruise ship, but have several times seen people being turned away from check-in at airports because of lack of acceptable ID -

Once at LGA I heard a couple desperately (and unsuccessfully) pleading with the desk agent because they were flying to Miami for a cruise --- maybe they were able to get home, find ID, get back to airport, get a flight, and still make their cruise - but I would not bet on it.

Then they wouldn't have had ID for the cruise, either, would they?

That's odd, because you still can be allowed to fly:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

If you read the site to which you referred, you will see that it says "you MAY be allowed to fly" - if you can somehow prove your identity. I suspect that one of the couple either had made arrangements to have something couriered or faxed to the cruise port, or might have believed she could convince the cruise line somehow - or possibly had just lied about trying to catch a cruise as a bid for sympathy - anyway, that was the closest I came to seeing a cruise passenger denied boarding.

If you read the site to which you referred, you will see that it says "you MAY be allowed to fly" - if you can somehow prove your identity. I suspect that one of the couple either had made arrangements to have something couriered or faxed to the cruise port, or might have believed she could convince the cruise line somehow - or possibly had just lied about trying to catch a cruise as a bid for sympathy - anyway, that was the closest I came to seeing a cruise passenger denied boarding.

My friend lost her DL while vacationing in Arizona - she made sure to get to the airport 3 hours early for her return flight. They accepted her Costco picture ID and allowed her to fly. I had also gone to her house and copied her Passport ID page and emailed it to her and that probably helped as well.

There was an article in Conde Nast Traveler about an elderly couple who saved for years to take a cruise in Asia. They must have had a very bad travel agent because when they got to the cruise terminal they didn't have the required Visas for China and Cambodia. They thought that if they didn't leave the ship, they didn't need the Visas, but they were denied boarding in San Francisco because they didn't have the required documents.

There were two TV shows on MSNBC showing quite a few families who were denied boarding because they didn't have all the correct birth certificates, or they were blended families and the non traveling parent didn't sign the notarized required permission to travel. Another family was denied because the mom, who they implied was an illegal from Vietnam, didn't have a green card or Vietnamese passport.

That reminds me of a story I read here a few years ago...

A congregation paid for their pastor's trip to Alaska, RT Vancouver. The post office passport person told them a Passport Card would be fine. They couldn't fly into Canada using the Card, too late to change for a flight to Seattle and travel north.

DD the older was on a school trip where one student's passport didn't have 6months left on it. She had to get an emergency passport and fly to the Galapagos on her own.

Edited by SadieN

They could have presented a Certificate Of Live Birth issued by a hospital and that would not have met the the requirements of government issued BC.

We lucked out one year, we got to the ship with my friend who had never cruised before.. I told her to make sure she had an ID and birth certificate. Figures that's the cert she brought. But the head agent allowed her on thank the cruise gods. This year shes ordered her passport :)

Edited by Ellusionz