LIVE from Millennium... Many positive changes!

florisdekort

Hello,

I’m LIVE on Millennium. Some interesting changes since I last cruised on her late December 2008:

Dry dock improvements:

- New carpets everywhere (public lounges and staterooms)

- New curtains, balcony furniture (Solstice style), white leather couch (Solstice style) and flat screen TV in my stateroom

- The benches in the theater, the chairs in the restaurants, the bar stools, etc. are now all done in new classy leather (the theater looks brand new… they kept the little tables though!)

- The pool deck is now teak wood, very classy

- A new jogging track (deck 11 is has a new surface)

- Fresh paint and fresh varnish everywhere

- Even the tenders have new seat covers :)

Millennium looks like a brand new ship.

Other interesting changes:

- Michael’s Club serves as an Executive Lounge for Suite passengers and Elite Captain’s Club members daily from 4 pm to 6 pm with an open bar!

- $50 worth of free Internet access for Elite members (I don’t know the amount for Select members)

- High quality Ghirardelli chocolate on the pillow :)

- An Eggs Benedict Station for breakfast, as well as an Asian breakfast and Asian lunch station (everything else is still there, they didn’t drop anything… sushi, Italian pasta, Stir Fry, etc.)

- A midnight buffet (yes, its back!) as opposed to the brunch they experimented with in 2008

- 3 spectacular new production shows, created by Qudos Entertainment, with an all British cast and fabulous new decors: i-Broadway, Boogie Wonderland and Simply Ballroom. A must see and a major improvement over the standard product shows that have been running on M-class ships the past 8 years.

The main dining room has completely new menus since May 22. There is an excellent Always Available menu including Shrimp Cocktail and Crème Brulee, plus the usual daily 5 appetizers, 5 soups/salads, 5 main courses and 5+ deserts. The Olympic has new menus since May 29. They kept the Goat Cheese Soufflé and Lobster Bisque. Everything else is new, including a Streak & Lobster Tail combo, as well as Crepes for desert. The quality remains top notch and the service is immaculate.

Master Michael Karatzas is back as Captain since June 12. He’s doing an excellent job in creating visibility. Apart from the 12 noon announcements, he makes announcements on where we are sailing, things to see along the way, etc. Typically he comes on right before sail away. He and his officers are also frequently visiting Cova Café to chat with passengers. Hotel Director is Niina Hautaniemi, who apparently served as Hotel Director on Constellation for the past 3 years. The Cruise Director is James Calhoun, the Captain’s Club Hostess is Anna Duwall.

A short update on the Noro situation: as someone wrote in a review of the previous sailing, there was an outbreak of Noro on the June 5 cruise. Boarding for our cruise was delayed by 2 hours to allow for ‘deep cleaning’. The situation on board is fine, except for the fact that they removed everything that requires people to touch it: no self service in the buffet area, no pepper/salt shakers, no library (its closed), no brochures for grabs at future cruise sales (you need to ask), no newspapers for grabs at Guest Relations (you need to ask), and so on. Slightly annoying, but definitely not a major problem. The staff is very friendly and constantly cleaning. I understand there have been no new Noro cases on the current sailing, so the next cruise should be fine.

In short, I’m having an excellent week on Millennium :) Today we’re in Icy Strait Point and the Glacier Bay Flight Seeing tour was amazing. Icy Strait itself is gorgeous, what a scenery. The weather has been great: sunshine in Vancouver, the Inside Passage and Ketchikan, light rain in Juneau, clouds but dry in Skagway and sunshine today in Icy Strait Point. Tomorrow we’ll be at Hubbard Glacier.

Questions? Just ask. I’ll post the answers when I’m back home this coming Sunday.

Cheers –

Floris

Floris:

Thanks for the great summary.

Celebrity is certainly changing for the better. I can hardly wait for our next cruise.

New Captain's Club Perks!!

Xellent

Wow! She sounds fabulous. I was on Infinity in 2001 for her first cruise to Hawaii. I like the deck plans a lot on M-class ships. It's nice to know the ships are kept in such good shape.

Will sushi be available all of the time on Century?

Hi, Floris and thanks for all the info. Was the library only temporarily closed due to the noro. outbreak or is that going to be a permanent thing because of the risk of the virus? It's interesting how many other items you listed that might involve various hands touching objects. Do you thinnk these all are temporary measures? I hope you and all your shipmates stay healthy! marilano

Wow, Floris, she sounds magnificent. We sailed with Niina on the Constellation a couple of years ago and found her to be completely charming, efficient and attentive. Happy she's with you on Millennium.

Love the idea of Michael's Club as a nice plus for suite and Elite folks. Is this a test-drive for other M & S class ships?

The Eggs Benedict Bar is a deal-maker for us. Do you know if we'll be seeing that on other ships as they roll out the new menus? We're on Summit in November and would love to see the new additions then.

I really hope Celebrity continues to upgrade and maintain the M-class ships. They are our faves although we haven't sailed Solstice yet.

Thanks so much for your notes and observations. Have a wonderful time enjoying the majesty of Alaska.

Mary Anne

Is the exercise area maintained so as not to spread any noro? In the past, when the virus was present they closed the excrcise area temporarily.

How is it handled on your cruise?

Thanks for your very informative review...I look forward to more inro!:)

Thanks so much for your mini review. I loved Millie before and I'm sure she looks even better now. Will you be posting pictures? I'm curious to see how alike the rooms look to Solstice

To answer two of the above questions:

- As far as I can see the library is only temporarily closed, at least that's what the sign says. As soon as they go back to the normal service, it shoud re-open.

- The exercise area is open, but they are constantly disinfecting equipment. A lot of the equipment is brand new too by the way, I forgot to mention that.

Floris

Great news! Thanks for the updates! We sail the 19th and I couldn't be more excited.

I hope they open the library, I brought about a dozen books on Alaska and I was planning on donating them to the library. I'd hate to have to haul them back home, my luggage is pretty close to 50# and I was hoping to loose some weight to make room for souveniers. :)

For those requesting pictures, we sail 19-26 and plan to post photos as soon as I get back. However, I don't know how to post photos here other than those stupid thumbnails that are too small to see. I use smugmug - I really do not like photobucket. Anyway, dependent on how long it takes me to figure out how to post photos, I'll get them up as soon as I can.

Thanks so much My mom and her friends sail on her July 10th! I am sad the Brunch is gone we enjoyed it 3 times once last summer on Summit in the Med, and On the summit this March and the Solstice. The other upgrades and extras sound great, and I have heard the new Menus are getting rave reviews, from friends who just came back from a Celebrity Sailing.

I like the Lounge Idea since we are Elite Members, and usually book Sky Suites

Hi Floris. Thanks for the information. Though we're not sailing Millie until November, it sure is refreshing to hear good things about how nice she looks and the other observations that you've made. I have read so many negative comments before the drydock. This will be our first cruise on the Millie, and my second ever.

Nothriver, can't wait for your pics. I hope your experience exceeds your expectations. Good luck for a great cruise.

- New curtains, balcony furniture (Solstice style), white leather couch (Solstice style) and flat screen TV in my stateroom

Flat screen tv is nice, because it gives at least an illusion of more space, even if it's not really usable space.

- Even the tenders have new seat covers :)

But isn't there only one tender port on this cruise? Let me know if I'm wrong.

Millennium looks like a brand new ship.

Other interesting changes:

- Michael’s Club serves as an Executive Lounge for Suite passengers and Elite Captain’s Club members daily from 4 pm to 6 pm with an open bar!

Ok, I'm not Elite yet--more reason to come back and cruise!

- $50 worth of free Internet access for Elite members (I don’t know the amount for Select members)

Hope there's something for Select members.

- High quality Ghirardelli chocolate on the pillow :)

My daughter always loved the chocolates on the pillow. (She managed to get extra ones from our steward, even if we didn't pre-tip! [g])

- An Eggs Benedict Station for breakfast, as well as an Asian breakfast and Asian lunch station (everything else is still there, they didn’t drop anything… sushi, Italian pasta, Stir Fry, etc.)

Mmmm. I always went to the MDR for Eggs Benedict at least once per cruise, but always alone; my wife prefers the buffet. Now we can get breakfast together!

- A midnight buffet (yes, its back!) as opposed to the brunch they experimented with in 2008

We prefer late seating, so we don't eat any of this, but it's nice to look at.

- 3 spectacular new production shows, created by Qudos Entertainment, with an all British cast and fabulous new decors: i-Broadway, Boogie Wonderland and Simply Ballroom. A must see and a major improvement over the standard product shows that have been running on M-class ships the past 8 years.

Wonderful! We're theatre people, and it will be nice to see what you call "spectacular" shows.

The main dining room has completely new menus since May 22. There is an excellent Always Available menu including Shrimp Cocktail and Crème Brulee, plus the usual daily 5 appetizers, 5 soups/salads, 5 main courses and 5+ deserts. The Olympic has new menus since May 29. They kept the Goat Cheese Soufflé and Lobster Bisque. Everything else is new, including a Streak & Lobster Tail combo, as well as Crepes for desert.

Any chance you can post the Olympic's new menu when you get back?

Thanks for a great update! I'm counting the days till we sail.

Hi Floris !

Thanks for your update. It sounds like some exciting things are happening at Celebrity. It's great to hear about Michael's, and the New Production shows. I look forward to hearing about the new Menus in the Olympic. The Steak and Lobster Tail sounds Yummy !

I was wondering where Niina has been. She wasn't on my last 2 Constellation sailings. In March, Christian Deniel was the Hotel Manager. This was the first time I've met him, and we was outstanding ! If you have a chance, can you ask Niina if Millennium is her new home, or does she expect to return to Constellation.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Thanks for all the great info! We sail on June 26. Any chance you can confirm that the basketball court is open? Seems like I read that when the ship came out of dry dock there was temporary storage there or something. I've got a 14 yo that will be one sad puppy without a court!!

the ship sounds fabulous! We can't wait!! Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks for the great update on the Millie. We've 4 months out of a Connie trip and hope some of the updates will be available on her in Oct. We saw some of the menu changes on the Solstice back in March and hope they are carried over to the M style ships.

Looking forward to the Connie. Rose-Linda

Archived