My cabin price dropped, but I cannot upgrade?

cnkgreen

Hello all,

I am leaving for a 4 night cruise on the Sky on March 1st. I booked an oceanview room in category H for $299 and was "upgraded" automatically to a category G. I called NCL once to see about upgrading to a balcony and was told something like $500 additional, but if the price on my cabin drops they would try to upgrade me instead of giving me a refund. Well, the price just dropped to $259-$279 depending upon which website you check. When I called I was told there are balconies available but since I booked through a travel agent, the agent would have to call. I had the agent call and she told me that NCL could not upgrade me and was very apologetic. I only used this agent because I knew her in highschool and I don't feel she would give me a run around, but is there anything I can do to dig a little further on this? I would love to have a balcony room and realize it will cost a little more. Should I try to call NCL again? Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

I am leaving for a 4 night cruise on the Sky on March 1st. I booked an oceanview room in category H for $299 and was "upgraded" automatically to a category G. I called NCL once to see about upgrading to a balcony and was told something like $500 additional, but if the price on my cabin drops they would try to upgrade me instead of giving me a refund. Well, the price just dropped to $259-$279 depending upon which website you check. When I called I was told there are balconies available but since I booked through a travel agent, the agent would have to call. I had the agent call and she told me that NCL could not upgrade me and was very apologetic. I only used this agent because I knew her in highschool and I don't feel she would give me a run around, but is there anything I can do to dig a little further on this? I would love to have a balcony room and realize it will cost a little more. Should I try to call NCL again? Thanks in advance.

You should ask your TA to push harder. You may not get anything, but if pushed they will sometimes offer an upgrade in this situation. Don't get your hopes up, but it never hurts to ask. Bottom line, it is great that you got the upgrade you did! Oh, final tip, have the TA try again closer to the cruise date - if they still have balconies open, they may be more willing to upgrade. But, again, it has to be your TA and she may have to push, i.e. ask for a supervisor.

Enjoy your cruise!!! You got a good deal.

Chances are the answer would be the same no matter who you booked through, TA or NCL.

These last minute prices are for NEW SALES. They are trying to fill up the ship, not offer a lower price (or higher cabin) to the 2,000 people already booked.

This is a frequent topic. Some people just want to get a good deal, but understand when they do not. Some others get very ticked off to the point of letting it ruin their cruise.

Just a sale. That's all. NCL will honor the original deal you made.

Hello all,

Are you saying that they won't offer you a free upgrade, or they won't let you pay the difference for the higher cabin?

The extent your category G dropped, is irrelevant. The question is, how much did the balcony drop? If the balcony dropped, for example, to $349 -- Then in my experience, they should let you upgrade to the balcony for $50.

I just checked-- The balcony rate on your cruise is $589. They aren't going to give you a $300 upgrade, to make up for a $20 price drop. I'm sure they would let you pay the $289 difference if you want to upgrade.

Hello all,

No, don't bother calling NCL, tech as far as NCL is concerned the booking belongs to the agent so they will not do anything for you..The drop in price is so little conpared to what you paid there is no way they will upgrade you to a balcony. What they normally will do is upgrade you to a higher catagory but still an outside cabin..

Nita

I do agree with others who say if your TA pushes a little harder with NCL (ie. escalating request to a supervisor) you might get further. Problem is, since your TA is a friend of yours I can see where it might be uncomfortable for you to push your TA.

As opposed to a regular upgrade, you can try to get an upsell. That could conceivably put you into the balcony for another $100-$200, instead of $300.

Good morning, everyone! I have a similar question. I¨m booked on the Jewel in april. I booked an inside stateroom, through NCL.com, the price was 799 pp +taxes and fees. Now I see the price for a balcony is 1099, and that seems reasonable to me. Can I upgrade to a balcony by paying the difference, 300, pp? If so, who should I contact? Will I keep my "old" reservation, or will it be a new reservation? I really want to keep my Pepsi promo.

Thank you.

Good morning, everyone! I have a similar question. I¨m booked on the Jewel in april. I booked an inside stateroom, through NCL.com, the price was 799 pp +taxes and fees. Now I see the price for a balcony is 1099, and that seems reasonable to me. Can I upgrade to a balcony by paying the difference, 300, pp? If so, who should I contact? Will I keep my "old" reservation, or will it be a new reservation? I really want to keep my Pepsi promo.

Thank you.

You should give NCL a call and talk to them. It will in all liklihood be treated as a new booking and you might lose the Pepsi promo but they might give you some OBC to make up for it (can't hurt to ask). This presupposes that you are still outside the final payment window.

Thank you.

I see you are in Sweden, I don't think any of us here can advise you as it might be different there. Yes, you should be able to upgrade, but who you contact? that is a question. Try going on the website and checking out the constact page. I don't know if they list many email addresses. Good luck,

Nita

Archived