Waterproof Camera

cloveygrl

I am having a hard time deciding on a waterproof camera - anyone have a preferences for a waterproof camera (not housing)? Obviously I would like decent non-grainy underwater shots but would also like it to be good at above water beach shots (so good in poor and bright light). I have looked at:

Canon Powershot D10

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2

Olympus Stylus Tough 8010

Fujifilm FinePix XP10

Pentax Optio W90

Best thing to do is determine what you are willing to pay. Then go to the local camera shop that sells new and used cameras. Ask the people that work there for help based on what you want to pay and use it for. They may have a used one available, but chances are they won't. They will definitely have read about or used the cameras you mentioned and be able to tell you the pros and cons of each.

I have the Olympus Stylus Tough-8000. I have used it underwater on several occasions and took pictures and video under Niagara Falls on the Maid of the Mist. The results are pretty good for a point and shoot camera. Being a professional photographer I will never be really satisfied until I buy an underwater housing and lights for one of my professional cameras. Because I use it while diving I went ahead and bought an Ikelite housing for about $250. Even though the camera is rated for 33 feet, I would stay above 10 feet. I have bought every camera I have ever owned from B&H Photo. I have found them to beat everyone's price consistently. You'll be able to compare cameras and see reviews on their website. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

You can see some of the pictures I took at the falls here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?aid=165201&id=634547597

Vince

I am having a hard time deciding on a waterproof camera - anyone have a preferences for a waterproof camera (not housing)? Obviously I would like decent non-grainy underwater shots but would also like it to be good at above water beach shots (so good in poor and bright light). I have looked at:

Canon Powershot D10

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2

Fujifilm FinePix XP10

Pentax Optio W90

Hi ,on the recommendations of several people on here we went with the canon d10, it does a terrific job. my husband has been planning to put some of the many pics he took on an awesome western caribbean trip ,he just hasn't gotten around to it yet.there are some pictures on this board that were taken with the same camera.

Canon Powershot D10

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2

Fujifilm FinePix XP10

Pentax Optio W90

This is a topic that has been thoroughly covered from every possible angle on this board. No need to rehash what's there. You can do a search if you're interested.

The Canon D10 seemed to be the most popular of the surface to 10' cameras. If you decide on this camera I would recommend that you get it wet three or four times in a bathtub or swimming pool before heading out on that next cruise.

There have been a number of failures in the D10 either right after or during their first exposure to water. It is easy to test this camera though. First thing I would do is put it in a bathtub underwater for two or three hours before ever powering it on. Then power it on, take several pictures above water and then immerse it again with power on. Take a few more pictures underwater and operate the cameras controls while holding it under.

Repeat the underwater sequence for three days or so. If the camera passes with flying colors then you're probably safe to take it snorkeling or whatever. Too many times I read reports of failures where people had used this camera above water but had it fail the first time they got it wet and that first time was usually when they were already out on a cruise.

Incidentally, I am not picking on the D10. I would do this same sort of test no matter which camera was ultimately purchased. If it is going to suffer infant mortality, better that it do so while you can conveniently exchange it.

Hope this if helpful info and that you get some great pictures with whatever camera you buy.

:):):)

There have been a number of failures in the D10 either right after or during their first exposure to water. It is easy to test this camera though. First thing I would do is put it in a bathtub underwater for two or three hours before ever powering it on. Then power it on, take several pictures above water and then immerse it again with power on. Take a few more pictures underwater and operate the cameras controls while holding it under. Repeat the underwater sequence for three days or so. If the camera passes with flying colors then you're probably safe to take it snorkeling or whatever. Too many times I read reports of failures where people had used this camera above water but had it fail the first time they got it wet and that first time was usually when they were already out on a cruise.

Although I don't disagree with thoroughly testing the camera before you intend to use it in an actual setting, I'd recommend reading the user manual of whichever camera you decide on before following the above advice exactly. My Panasonic DMC-TS2 (which has performed perfectly, great pictures above and under water) recommends no longer than 60 minutes under water consecutively. It likely would be fine for far more than 60 minutes, but I don't see a reason to push it unneccesarily. If the seals are going to fail, it's likely to happen within the first 15 minutes or shorter. If it fails after longer than 60 minutes (and they find out about the time) it gives them a possible point of contention in the warranty since you would have exceeded the recommended tolerance. That being said, I've had mine in water for hours at a time and almost no break in between and no problems all.

Somehow I doubt that the manufacturers will be looking over your shoulder in the bathroom. This testing will emulate what happens out on a typical snorkeling excursion.

In many cases the participants will be taken to a first snorkeling site and people will snorkle for some period time. Granted that period is usually less than an hour. In many cases though the next thing that happens is that the excursion moves to a second site and the snorkeling begins again. The camera does not have a time to dry completely in between.

Static testing in the bathtub even for a prolonged period of time is easier on the camera than actual use out in the ocean. If there is a problem I would much rather it be in the bathroom at home rather than in the middle of a snorkeling excursion.:eek::eek:

Somehow I doubt that the manufacturers will be looking over your shoulder in the bathroom. This testing will emulate what happens out on a typical snorkeling excursion.

In many cases the participants will be taken to a first snorkeling site and people will snorkle for some period time. Granted that period is usually less than an hour. In many cases though the next thing that happens is that the excursion moves to a second site and the snorkeling begins again. The camera does not have a time to dry completely in between.

Static testing in the bathtub even for a prolonged period of time is easier on the camera than actual use out in the ocean. If there is a problem I would much rather it be in the bathroom at home rather than in the middle of a snorkeling excursion.:eek::eek:

People can proceed however they choose, but since the typical snorkling excursion is going to be 45-60 minutes maximum in the water at any given time I don't see a reason to soak the camera in a tub for three hours. If the seals are going to fail it's going to happen fairly quickly. The failure of a waterproof camera is far more likely to be from user error (foreign object in the doors, opening a wet camera, etc) than it is from manufacturer's defect. To each their own...

Canon Powershot D10

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2

Fujifilm FinePix XP10

Pentax Optio W90

I have and enjoy using the Sony DSC-TX5 for waterproof. I have used it for several activities from river tubing, whitewater rafting and snorkeling. Before our recent trip to the Western Caribbean, DH purchased the Canon D10 based on many positive reviews and photos posted here and other places...and the fact that I don't share my camera very well. :o

Both cameras have similar features and functions, were similarly priced with purchasing them about a year apart, but the Sony takes better pictures in a side by side comparison of the same composition (which we purposefully did several times on our trip two weeks ago).

Both take nice photos out of the water, but my biggest complaint to using them as my 'only' camera on a trip is that each has a limited zoom (compared to the Panasonic Lumix ZS3 I normally use when not in the water).

Each takes a bit of getting used to.

The Sony is very slim compared to the chubby D10.

The D10 floats while I have a floating strap for the Sony.

The Sony has a touchscreen selection for everything on the LCD screen that takes up most of the back side of the camera. If I leave the camera on and swim, I sometimes grip/grasp the screen and inadvertantly change a setting....but you can turn the camera on and off by sliding the front cover which is what I do. It comes back on very quickly. Also note that the color of the camera on the front cover is some sort of overlay and mine has completely peeled off. Sold as red (looks totally hot pink) but is now shiny silver....I cover it up if barracuda are nearby! :eek: No peeling of the rest of the camera, but the color on the front cover has completely flaked off.

Both take very nice pictures, but the color and clarity of the underwater photos is a bit better with the Sony, in my opinion. However, in taking pictures on land, make sure you take the Sony off of underwater mode or it will 'overlight' them (not sure that is a word, but maybe it conveys my point!) and you will get a glare from the sun on most objects in my experience.

I do LOVE my Lumix that is not waterproof....it is an amazing camera. I would probably consider it next time based on reviews, etc.

I have never taken the time to figure out how to post pictures here and all attempts have met with failure to this point or I would share a few samples.

• 7 months later...

Are there any decent waterproof cameras under $200? Best Buy has some on sale now. I have tried talking my dh into the D10, but since he just bought me a new camera ( entry level dslr) a few months ago he refuses to pay that much. Should we just pick up some disposable cameras with such a little budget? Or maybe an aquapac or something for our old Sony cybershot.

What I have found so far:

Fujifilm XP20

Olympus TG-310

olympus VR-320

Olympus TG-610 (250)

Would any of these take decent pictures?

you can get a good point and shoot and an UW housing for less than $400. Then you can use it down to 200 feet. Any electronic equipment you are going to put in salt water is at risk for destruction due to leakage.

A great source is backscatter.com. They have a lot of information and sell a lot of UW cameras.

If you are going to be deeper than snorkel depth, a good strobe is essential for clean photos.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried the new Sealife Mini II yet? I'm seriously looking at buying one before we head to the Caribbean in September. It's good to 130' which is deeper than I intend to be for a while!

.....Steve

It doesn't have optical zoom, just 3x digital. If you are just snorkeling you only need a camera good to about 20 - 30'.

It doesn't have optical zoom, just 3x digital. If you are just snorkeling you only need a camera good to about 20 - 30'.

I hope to be a bit deeper than 20-30 feet! 50 to 60 "should" be more like it! I realize there's no optical zoom, but it does have a flash which will hopefully compensate for the lack of red light getting down that deep. Digital zoom could be okay. I've used the disposable Kodak u/w cameras a number of times before and they're okay for 10-15 feet, but no flash and it's still film. I've had one down to 30 feet without any leakage issues but the pics were all blue-green due to lack of red.

.....Steve

Archived