Duty Free Watches..

ripjerry95

I purchased my tag on the NCL EPIC and I have not taken it off my wrist . Basically the prices are set by tag and not the ship. My watch had a scratch on the back side where the battery goes . The ship took $400 off the price. So I scored !!! still full warranty and I could tell the watch was brand new.

I love the fact that my watch came from one of my vacations I think of cruising every time I look at it.

I believe A tag is an investment not a purchase

My husband purchased his tag on our honeymoon and his watch is now worth 600 more than he paid for it because it was a special edition.

Happy shopping

Julie

I'm a bit of a watch junkie and own quite a few. Nothing high end, but maybe my experience will help.

About 5 years ago I bought a Citizen Ecodrive watch in a port jewelry store for just under $100. I shopped it pretty hard and haggled before settling on the price. Last year on the Epic the exact same watch was the exact same price after the standing 40% discount on Citizen watches onboard. Chalk one up to the ship on having a great price, no tax, and low risk.

On the Epic I found a beautiful Tissot chronograph that I fell in love with. I didn't pull the trigger assuming I could find it cheaper online back home. The ship's jewelry store had it for 15% or 20% off list price all week. When I got home I was surprised to find that I could not beat the ship price even with hours and hours of online searching. Add to that no tax and a full warranty from an authorized seller, I should have just gotten it on board. I ran across a co-worker a few months ago with the exact same watch that paid double what I had paid ($600 vs. $300)

While people often say that the ship stores are not a good deal, in many cases this just isn't true. Do your homework on different models and what you can get them for at home. With something as expensive as a Tag I would think sales tax alone would be a big chunk of savings. You also get the piece of mind to know it's not fake (they're an authorized seller), which is certainly more risky at online sites...even Amazon.

That's just my two cents. The stores are low risk, good prices, provide instant gratification :) plus provide a memory of your trip. One tip though, they have very limited stock on board. If you see something you love at the right price, don't wait until later in the week. It could be gone.

I had a customs agent look closely at my Tissot, asked me where I bought it (it was a gift) and what else did I buy on the cruise. I told her the watch was given to me 3 months earlier, I didn't buy anything on the cruise because I was there to do a vacation on the cheap.

She then asked me to remove the watch, looked it over and over and bascially gave it back to me with a skeptical look.

So...to answer your question, they might look at what you're wearing and ask to see reciepts and could make you pay the duty they're entitled to.

What brands of watches does NCL sell in their on-board shops? Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots and lots. I remember seeing:

Citizen

Fossil

Tag

Tissot

Swatch

Seiko

Bulova

DKNY

Guess

Invicta

Longines

Kenneth Cole

Omega

I'm sure there were others. Not to mention the cheap watch sets and $10 sport watches you can find.

My husband was in full "let's buy a watch" mode on our last cruise. He'd already purchased one in London and decided he wanted another one.

After much looking, he found the prices on St Maarten to be the least expensive. The prices on board, however were only very slightly more (you have to haggle if you're buying an expensive one). We looked at the same watches in Miami and then in Paris and the prices on the Epic were really very good.

We went through the same thing. I found a Tag I had been looking for in the Bahamas. I knew NCL had them. I didn't buy. Wondered whether I could do better at home or online. I couldn't. 6 months later we were on another NCL cruise. Dh came up to my cabin happy that he found another Tag watch. We bought it. I love it!! Bonus--I got a bunch of the raffle tickets for buying the watch. We went to the drawing and I won a pearl necklace, bracelet and earrings! Granted it was a bonus but made the purchase that much better.

Know what you can get it for at home and check on your next cruise.

Oh, I also did declare it at customs. They didn't even ask about it.

Good luck.

Be advised... If you do make duty free purchases on board the ship that exceed allowed limits, customs will be given an itemized inventory... Whether they choose to act on it is up to them. Witnessed a man who was not wearing a new expensive watch he bought in the Colombian Emeralds on board but customs knew about it when they swiped his passport and collected duty on the spot. Does not apply to on shore purchases.

Be advised... If you do make duty free purchases on board the ship that exceed allowed limits, customs will be given an itemized inventory... Whether they choose to act on it is up to them. Witnessed a man who was not wearing a new expensive watch he bought in the Colombian Emeralds on board but customs knew about it when they swiped his passport and collected duty on the spot. Does not apply to on shore purchases.

Does anyone know how much the duty would be on a $300 watch purchased on the ship?

Does anyone know how much the duty would be on a $300 watch purchased on the ship?

Nothing. I don't think any duty kicks in until at least $800 worth of stuff, more if some of it bought in the US Virgin Islands

zero. The limit is $800 pperson unless you also stop and buy at a US insular possession like St Thomas VI than it doubles...as SD Mike says...

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

all the rules are listed here. They are very complicated...good luck...

In customs for my trip on the epic. My purchase was way over the allowed limit.

The Customs agent scanned my passport and said what did I buy. I said with an ear to ear smile " my watch ". As I showed him my wrist. He in turn gave my passport back with a smile and said have a great day and enjoy your watch.

I did not have to pay anything . And I was over the allotted amount for a couple traveling.

In customs for my trip on the epic. My purchase was way over the allowed limit.

The Customs agent scanned my passport and said what did I buy. I said with an ear to ear smile " my watch ". As I showed him my wrist. He in turn gave my passport back with a smile and said have a great day and enjoy your watch.

I did not have to pay anything . And I was over the allotted amount for a couple traveling.

Yes... If you list things... They will more than likely let most things go... It's less likely when you show up with a blank form and all sorts of shiny new baubles on your person :-). It also depends on the customs agent... We once had difficulty because being scuba divers, we were non-smokers, non-drinkers, and we had purchased no jewelry, and the agent did not believe we didn't have any tobacco or booze....

Lots and lots. I remember seeing:

Citizen

Fossil

Tag

Tissot

Swatch

Seiko

Bulova

DKNY

Guess

Invicta

Longines

Kenneth Cole

Omega

I'm sure there were others. Not to mention the cheap watch sets and $10 sport watches you can find.

Mike is right....when I sailed on the Epic, they were pretty competitive, pricewise.

I am a watch hound, too. More specifically, I like the swiss made automatic watches (not quartz), that tend to be pricier. I buy one on each cruise I go on to remind me of the cruise.

NCL tends to carry the better brands. And, also as Mike points out, they sometimes have great deals on more common watches.

Generally speaking, 15%-20% off on a Tag, Tissot, etc is a good deal, made even better if you consider you're not paying duty or taxes on the watch.

I didn't realize it at the time, but I got a Tag on the Epic at a really good deal (30% off) given that the style I bought had been discontinued. Couldn't beat that price anywhere, on line, on shore, or back home. Made better by no tax or duty.

My favorite watch is made by Ball Watch Company. But, I've yet to see them on any cruise ship, nor any of the Caribbean jewelry stores. Wished they'd carry them.

Good luck!

My husband forgot his watch and after the first day wanted to buy a new one.

We found a Citizen watch that was about $200 less expensive than at home. We bought it and he still loves it.

We didn't pay a duty on our purchases, as they fell under the $$$ requirement.

We were on the Jewel.

My DH has bought two citizen watches on our cruises. Got a better deal than on land. Not by much though. I would imagine you have to know what you are looking for before you go and print off what you found at home. Lets you know if you're scoring a great deal.

I found that Columbia Emeralds on the ship was the same prices as you could get on land in the Bahamas, and if I bought on the ship I could have it hit my CC for double warranty and cashback bonus.

Needless to say I bought my Bulova from the ship, and it was a great deal and it's amazing.

I'm going to have a lot of OBC that I won't be able to use for DSC. It looks like I may be getting a new watch. :D

Does anyone know the brand of 14k jewerly they sell on board? I'd like to try to get some prices before I sail.

I suggest you get watches aside from Tag.

Tags don't retain value. They are probably the worst value/dollar ratio watches out there.

Go for a Rolex, IWC, Panerai for "investment" at the low ends, a Patek or ALange for high ends. Go for Omega if you want a watch that doesn't need high maintenance.

Do your research at watchuseek forums before making a decision to buy Tag. I used to want one too, but after reading more into it, I stay away from them as far as possible (even though they look nice).

Archived