Less Service Because of Dry Dock?

C Cruise Dude

I'm considering a cruise on the Emerald Princess on the last sailing before dry dock. A fellow passenger on roll call is concerned that service might lack because of the staff's preoccupation with dry dock. To those who sailed on the last sailing before dry lock, did you feel that the service was less? Thank you for your input.

Its a coin toss for sure.

There have been many posts with issues before and after a drydock, and some with no issues.

You may not experience any interruption at all or there may be slight work going on moving constuction equip/supplies around the ship. Has alot to do with what they have planned. :)

We have sailed post drydock and were lucky on two different cruises with no interuptions.

I'm considering a cruise on the Emerald Princess on the last sailing before dry dock. A fellow passenger on roll call is concerned that service might lack because of the staff's preoccupation with dry dock. To those who sailed on the last sailing before dry lock, did you feel that the service was less? Thank you for your input.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. No guarantee. We did it on the Coral; no change whatsoever.

We were on the Grand last March just before it went in for it's MASSIVE overhaul, including removal of Skywalkers. While there were a few areas on the aft part of the ship that were already closed off to passengers, including the Sun deck area, we didn't see any kind of issues with diminished customer service. There was noise and construction debris in the affected areas, but the crew and staff were just as attentive and pleasant as ever.

I wouldn't hesitate to sail on a pre-drydock cruise again. :)

Was on the Ruby once last sailing before dry dock. Everything was exceptional... crew extremely happy to be going on a break, more food than you could eat with them trying to use up some left-overs (think lobster). :) A really enjoyable cruise - no issues whatsoever.

:confused:When is the Emerald's drydock scheduled?

As noted, it can be a crap shoot. If a lot of the crew will be ending contracts and looking forward to getting home or changing ships, its human nature that they may be a little distracted and a little less attentive. On the flip side, they may be even more excited and positive.

Ship's management may have time taken away with pre-drydock planning issues (especially the hotel manager, MD, EC) which may limit their availability and oversight time, which could also be a bad thing or good thing.

Personally, I am not sure I would go the immediate cruise before drydock if I had the option to go one earlier in the same cost range. That said, if it worked out that was the best option price or schedule wise, I would book it with no concerns.

We were on the Sapphire Princess earlier this year for the voyage before her major month-long drydock. We did not feel that service was lacking in any area. We had great waitstaff and a good steward. No areas of the ship were closed with pre-drydock preparations at all.

Archived