Taxi from Piraeus Port to downtown Athens

SHCMD

Any recommendations for a taxi for a ride into Athens? This is our second trip to Athens and we would prefer a taxi to the metro. Are there cabs when you disembark your ship in Piraeus? Thanks.

Any recommendations for a taxi for a ride into Athens? This is our second trip to Athens and we would prefer a taxi to the metro. Are there cabs when you disembark your ship in Piraeus? Thanks.

We were there four weeks ago. We pre-booked Andreas Kambas via email - he waited for us at the port, took us to Acropolis, gave us information (and a good map) on the way, and picked us up from downtown Athens and took us back to the port in the afternoon. He charged us 50 euros per taxi (we needed two vehicles as there were six of us) return. I think you pay exactly the same fare if not more by catching a taxi at the port (and there are plenty). For us it was a nice compromise between using the metro or using a private tour. Andreas speaks excellent English, answers emails promptly, and is very pleasant to deal with.

This is his website:

http://www.taxidrives.gr

Enjoy your second visit - I hope to go back to Athens too!

If possible book a taxi and tour in advance. We have been to Athens several times and always felt we were "screwed" by the taxi drivers. Especially on the return back to the ship. They can play with the meter settings and you have no way to know what they are doing. The last 2 times it cost us about 20 Euros to go from the ship to the Plaka by taxi. The return was more like 35 Euros from the same general spot. One time on the return, the taxi driver claimed to get lost at the pier even though we could see our ship (the Equinox) and pointed it out to him. Then he claimed not to speak English too well. Finally I had him stop and I asked a security guard to tell him where to go for our ship.

We were there four weeks ago. We pre-booked Andreas Kambas via email - he waited for us at the port, took us to Acropolis, gave us information (and a good map) on the way, and picked us up from downtown Athens and took us back to the port in the afternoon. He charged us 50 euros per taxi (we needed two vehicles as there were six of us) return. I think you pay exactly the same fare if not more by catching a taxi at the port (and there are plenty). For us it was a nice compromise between using the metro or using a private tour. Andreas speaks excellent English, answers emails promptly, and is very pleasant to deal with.

This is his website:

http://www.taxidrives.gr

Enjoy your second visit - I hope to go back to Athens too!

We were docked at the port of Piraeus on April 11. I, also, booked Alex for round-trip transportation to Athens. Cost was 50 Euros for the entire taxi - up to 4 people. DH and I chose to go alone as we wanted to set our own times for pick up and return to port.

We were very pleased with the service and definitely recommend him.

Here's a copy of correspondence with Alex prior to trip:

This is your CONFIRMATION for April 11, 2012 from cruise port of Piraeus, on "Holland America Prinsendam" to Acropolis Athens. The pick-up time will be at 10:00 am.

Return will be in the afternoon from Athens to the cruise port of Piraeus, we will discuss the collection time for return to the port on the way to Athens. The round trip cost in Euro 50.00,-

Included all taxes, V.A.T. And port fee.

I will wait for you outside the arrivals hall at terminal "A" with a small sign and your name on it. When your ship dock at terminal "B" , then you have to take the internal shuttle bus that carries up to terminal "A" where I will be waiting for you. Just in case my cell phone number: +30 6980735451.

Please kindly note:

• In the above rate are included V.A.T. 13%, all taxes and port fee.
  • That the taxi can hold up to 4 people, not more.
  • The price amounted only to a taxi and not to individual persons.
  • Cancellation is free of charge, but should be announced 3 days in advance.

Looking forward to see you at the cruise port of Piraeus.

Thank you for booking with us.

Athens is one of two cities in Europe in which I routinely pre-book a car (the other is Praha, btw) rather than simply grabbing a taxi. Scams, "games," and simple over-charging are too common in Athens for me to worry about.

Athens is one of two cities in Europe in which I routinely pre-book a car (the other is Praha, btw) rather than simply grabbing a taxi. Scams, "games," and simple over-charging are too common in Athens for me to worry about.

If I am ever back to Madrid again, I would recommend pre-booking a taxi. We grabbed one at the airport. I had studied the route into Madrid before leaving home. I'm looking at my paperwork and when I look up, we are entering the airport loop again - WHAT?

Finally, we are on the main road out and there is a split with a sign pointing to Madrid. He takes the other road and when I question him, he tells me "traffic". It was a Sunday - not much traffic.

Needless to say, he didn't get a trip.

On the way back, an honest driver took us directly to the airport and the fare was about 15 Euros less. He got a nice tip.

• 2 months later...
We just used Andreas again for the second time..really like him a lot..VERY reliable!

a.kambas@taxidrives.gr

We have used him for various things and he is ALWAYS there when he says he will be.

Sherry

We used Andreas for transportation into Athens this July -- did not get to meet him as he sent a friend to take care of us -- but all worked out fine. Was really nice to have a taxi ready for us as we got off the ship, and guarantee transport back to the ship at a fair price. 50E round trip.

Just back from our cruise and Athens visit. We decided the best way to get to the Acropolis before the masses was to take a cab from the port. I was a little concerned because I had heard about cab rip offs and pressure to take a tour when all we wanted was a cab ride. So this is what we did: we walked past all the waiting cabs in the port area and up to the main road - just a short ways - then flagged down one of the many passing taxis. We asked how much to the Acropolis and he said it was on the meter, a very good sign. I then asked for an estimate and he said 15 euros so off we went. We had a quick and pleasant ride and the cost was 13 euros that I rounded up to 15. We did beat most of the crowds this way and then we took the metro back after touring the other spots. Worked out great.

Thanks so much to everyone and Diane for the detail in the blog. i have e mailed them so will see what the quote is. Also went to Andreas website he is closing up shop so didn't bother to get a second opinion which is what I was going to do.

Any recomendations for Izmir(ephasus), istanbul, mykonos, naples, rome florence(livorno) and toulon.

thanks again,

Jamie k

I just spoke with paul from athensbytaxi.com per recomendation from this thread. He replied in under half an hour. We will have space for two more in our cab. But his prices are so good we may decide to do a half day tour or an all day tour with him.

He will be picking us up from the ship as soon as we can get off to beat the crowds and go to the acropolis that is where he will either drop us off or start our tour. Then pick us up later if we don't do a tour in the plaka at 3:30pm plenty of time to get back on board.

If you are on the NCL Spirit 10/4/12 in Athens/Piraeus we would be open to other passengers.

For transfer only 35Euros each way for cab. That is 8.75 each, each way. If you don't want to do the tour you could just pay the to and from and we will see you at the beginning and the end of the day.

half day 5 hours 150 E

full day 8 hours 230E

Too much info to retype but if anyone is interested email me direct and I can forward info. First come first serve so to speak. Would love to share/meet another couple of people for this day trip.

Jamie k

zdncer@gmail.com

360-910-7367

Archived