Carnival Vs NCL

Susiecruisey

From you're signature, your an experienced CCLer. You might get a better feel for NCL if you read some of the folks post-cruise reviews in this forum. People like different cruise lines for different reasons -- price, decor, food, entertainment, service, etc. and everyone's opinion is subjective. You'll likely get a better feel from a review rather than expect a side-by-side detailed comparison posted to your thread... but who knows. Maybe someone can post a link where someone did an actual side by side review.

Here's a recent thread comparing food.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1761207

I was hoping to see what people who have sailed both have to say about each line.

There are literally dozens of recent threads on this, as it is a very often-discussed topic. Scroll through the first five or six pages of posts, and you're bound to come across several of them. Or, you could use the search feature at the top of the page, and simply type in "Carnival" and you'll be astounded how many threads there are. Happy reading! :D

WHy dont you just try it and form your own opinions

Youve sailed on RCCL and CCL ...NCL isnt that much different except for the 'Freestyle dining' which is basically ATD or MTD

The Platinum perks are better on NCL than CCL

WE have been on many NCL cruises and last year did an 11 day NCL then got on a Carnival Ship in Miami (walked from one to the other) by the time we sailed away I was waving my arms to have NCL come pick me up! to each his/her own. Unless you are more specific about your concerns don't think anyone can answer. WE much preferred the entertainment on NCL, the buffet areas on Carnival (Valor) were , very crowded and their speciality buffet areas opened and closed at odd hours in my opinion. Many choices for eating and drinking but hours of operation were bizarre for us. Hope this helps some. Our cabin was an extended AFT balcony and it was very nice and roomy. Think Carnival has larger cabin space, but when we sail our tried and true NCL we do an AFT penthouse suite, the way to go for us!

The thing that attracts me to carnival is that it is cheaper. The food is not bad.

Definitely take an NCL cruise but know that you will pay at each of their many specialty restaurants. I do not like the tiny bathrooms on NCL.

My favorite cruiseline is royal carribean.

We have cruised on CCL Legand, and NCLs' Dawn and Star. Both line are more similar than different, with CCL being on the gaudy side. Rooms on NCL are slightly smaller (we have only been in balcony cabins), the food (subjective) was similar in the MDRs', but buffet was better on NCL (a lot of choices).

Freestyle dining is what separates the two. It doesn't really compare to ATD. If you like formal nights, or having a set table, you won't like NCL. You have a lot of choices when it comes to specialty dining with NCL.

Entertainment was another difference between the two, with NCL winning.

NCL has a laid back feel that you don't get on CCL.

NCL is my line of choice, but I wouldn't hesitate to cruise another line if price and itinerary were what was of interest.:)

WE have been on many NCL cruises and last year did an 11 day NCL then got on a Carnival Ship in Miami (walked from one to the other) by the time we sailed away I was waving my arms to have NCL come pick me up! to each his/her own. Unless you are more specific about your concerns don't think anyone can answer. WE much preferred the entertainment on NCL, the buffet areas on Carnival (Valor) were , very crowded and their speciality buffet areas opened and closed at odd hours in my opinion. Many choices for eating and drinking but hours of operation were bizarre for us. Hope this helps some. Our cabin was an extended AFT balcony and it was very nice and roomy. Think Carnival has larger cabin space, but when we sail our tried and true NCL we do an AFT penthouse suite, the way to go for us!

At least you gave Carnival a chance. 4 hours onboard. WOW!:rolleyes:

What was bizarre about the eating and drinking? Were the bars only open til 10pm or something?

Bill

We have done quite a few on both for us it is simple, Carnival crew not even close to NCL they are the best crews at sea. We cruise in suites Carnival loses that one in every category zero perks just a big room. NCL Haven is heaven. Food NCL again wins, mainly because I think the food stinks on almost every cruise line (minus Disney) but on NCL the specialty restaurants are very decent. If I was cruising for food I would never cruise. But I like my options on NCL.

Perk for us we live 15 minutes from the port in NY so NCL wins hands down for the itinerary.

Although I do love the Miracle I cannot see myself ever cruising Carnival again. The NCL staff and crew makes me feel like I am really at home.

This is all very personal and subjective but if you try NCL I believe you would truly enjoy it. I understand their balcony rooms are a bit smaller than Carnival but since that does not apply to us I cannot comment.

Good luck with whatever you do.

I agree with you on the food and entertainment portions.

I'm new to cruising and have sail once on the Carnival Valor and once on the NCL Sky. I will not return to Carnival again. I find that they are probably the "cheapest" cruise out there. You get what you pay I guess.

The food is so so compare to NCL. The entertainment Carnival is quite boring compare to NCL. I have booked my next cruise on the NCL Epic and can't hardly wait.

OP, you do realize that there is a search function on this forum, right? Not trying to be snarky but nearly all of your questions are ones that can easily be answered by a quick search or even a cursory skimming over the first couple of pages of threads.

This particular question comes up every couple of days. Try any one of these threads:

http://forums.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=36390102

As a past CCL cruiser, I can appreciate you concerns! Here were the standout differences from my prospective:

1. Cabins....standard balcony cabin...Carnival wins. I can't comment on other cabin types because that's all I've been in(yet). Good bit roomier. In the beginning I thought it would make a huge difference. It didn't but it may to you. Your cabin steward WILL be as good or better than CCL and I certainly have had no complaints with cabin stewards from either line!

2. Dining room/food... Honestly...it may take you a little while to get used to NCL way of doing things. Most CCL ships are similar and they all do things basically the same way so from one ship to another...easy. NCL IS different. Two dining room...one more casual one less casual. YOU decide which you want to go to and when. If there is a wait you will be given a pager. You make eat in one dining room one night and the other the next night. YOU pick when/where/(and what you want to)ware! Service and food in MDR is as good or better than CCL. Blue Lagoon is a fast food joint always open. The buffet area is fine...very similar to CCL....maybe not QUITE as good. NCL has a grill buffet by the pool(on sea days??) that is GREAT! ALSO there will be MANY alternative dining areas for an extra fee whereas CCL only has "The Steakhouse." If you want to go to one, go. If not, don't. You certainly don't have to to have good food. They generally range from $15 to $25 pp.

3. Staff...HUGE ace in the hole for NCL. WAY nicer and polite. In most cases they will do ANYTHING for you or find someone that will. If/when you go to the production shows you WILL meet practically every officer on the ship! From the Captain to the hotel director on down. They don't hide on NCL and they are available for YOU! As corny as this always sounds....you WILL be make to feel like one of the family!

4. Entertainment. Night and day in NCL favor. The production shows are even better than what CCL USED to be. Excellent with a LOT of variety. REAL bands will be playing in several areas of the ship.

5. Shore excursions... CCL wins here. What NCL has are good BUT....you will notice there aren't as many choices available as with CCL. But you like me are probably to the stage where you do most of the shore excursion planning yourself.

Don't sweat you'll probably enjoy your NCL and more that likely like it better!

HTH!

This question gets asked so many times a week. You will fine many, many threads on this very same subject. I pick NCL over CCL any day of the week for many reasons - food, entertainment, ships, crew, those onboard.

There was a recent item included in the Lido Deck blog entitled Norwegian & Carnival: “Like a Cadillac Compared to a Kia” that pointed to the following review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=112753

Must be a Kia Optima SXL they are comparing to the Cadillac. :p

Bill

The thing that attracts me to carnival is that it is cheaper. The food is not bad.

Definitely take an NCL cruise but know that you will pay at each of their many specialty restaurants. I do not like the tiny bathrooms on NCL.

My favorite cruiseline is royal carribean.

We found the food in the MDR and other free venues on NCL is much better then Carnival. :) You do not have to pay to dine at all if you do not wish to.

There was a recent item included in the Lido Deck blog entitled Norwegian & Carnival: “Like a Cadillac Compared to a Kia” that pointed to the following review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=112753

While I agree with the review of suite perks on Carnival, They are the worst at sea

and this part is funny.......... no "speicals" for VIPs - dining with the masses :rolleyes:

BUT my question is....... who pays $5000 for a 3day booze cruise to Nassau:eek:

Last year we did 3-7day cruises in a balcony for less than that:o

I like both cruise lines. I think Norwegian has better food, and Carnival has better entertainment and drinks.

I'd go the other way and say that NCL's entertainment was far and away better and the food was a tad better on CCL. The free food I'm talking about.

Drinks I can't comment on.

Bill

Archived