Snorkeling with Whale Sharks

scubacruiserx2

You can snorkel (dive?) with the sharks with Stuart Cove at Nassau.

http://www.stuartcove.com/

It's a fun experience.. The crew attracts the sharks by lowering a bucket of fish to the bottom. We snorkelers float on the surface watching them feed.

The best part is after reboarding when a crew member holds a baited metal pole aft of the boat. The sharks jump above the water to get the bait.

BTW - There are a couple snorkel stops on the way to the shark baiting.

:p

Edited by Stevesan

Whale sharks are so cool! We loved our time with them so much in La Paz that I named my boat "Whale Shark."

We loved swimming with the Whale sharks ! A big surprise was other swimmers with us - Manta rays ! Here's a video clip of a shark on the surface and a Manta below feeding. :eek:

th_Whalesharks297_zps2fbc4c89.jpg

Were you able to a whale shark snorkel excursion on a cruise? If so, which cruise line and which port? If you flew there instead of a cruise, which town did you stay in and which operator did you use?

Were you able to a whale shark snorkel excursion on a cruise? If so, which cruise line and which port? If you flew there instead of a cruise, which town did you stay in and which operator did you use?

Hello pamawi. We were staying and diving in Cozumel. It's a LONG day from there to Cancun. 6AM ferry , 1-1/2 hour van ride to Cancun and a 90 minute boat ride to the sharks ! We got home (Cozumel) at 6 PM. a long , but fun day. After the dive we stopped at Isla Mujeres for a swim.

P1040385-001_zpsf5878094.jpg

And Ceviche and drinks

P1040387-001_zps04c12d3d.jpg

We used Cancun Whale Shark tours.

http://www.cancunwhalesharktours.com/

If we do it again, we will spend night in Cancun and make it a 8 hour day instead of the 4 hour round trip to Cozumel. It would be hard to do from a cruise ship.

I was hoping one of those ports on the mainland close th Cancun like Calica was offering a cruise excursion to swim with the whale sharks.

At one time Royal Caribbean offered a shore excursion from Cozumel. If you contact Cancun Whale sharks , perhaps they can tell you of any shore excursions available. Or maybe encourage them to approach the cruise lines to consider making a Whale Shark tour available to everyone.

• 2 years later...
Princess offers Whale Shark snorkeling tours on their port calls to La Paz. We set up a private excursion that went to two sites and snorkeled with sea lions and then with whale sharks.

That sounds like great fun ! While the company that went with didn't advertise Manta Rays , they are usually found together since they are both filter feeders . It was quite a bonus ! :) :D

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Really wish we could do scuba and snorkeling reviews to help see what options are out there.

This is spectacular. :)

We thought of this as a review , and of course we can always share the name of the company - if asked . ;)

Here's a surface shot of the many boats following the Whale Sharks

4ae3f2b0-bdaf-49f7-875c-ce8881c6efe6_zpseljgartp.jpg

And another video clip of a surface feeder about 30 ' long

th_Whalesharks280_zps3b9e2030.mp4

Did this in June 2015 off Belize. Amazing!!!!! Scuba is permitted in Belize and we tried that way first, but the whale sharks moved around too much for us to stay with them. It was easier snorkeling from the boat whenever we saw them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
We went snorkeling with the Whale Sharks near Cancun on August 4 , 2013. We prefer Scuba to snorkeling but Scuba is not allowed. I must say that this was the most enjoyable snorkeling that we have ever done.:)

bd2e55f6-fe2f-4dcc-ba4f-3060e83b86c8_zps504dc9f4.jpg?t=1375955697

Love the Whale Shark picture! And Manta Rays, too! I would be in heaven! Why, oh why, do I never seem to go to the Western Caribbean during Whale Shark season? I have got to do this one of these days!

• 2 months later...
Mitsugirly, we did this 2 years ago, and used

http://www.cancunwhalesharktours.com/

There was a family with a child your daughter's age, and they were great with her. It is a lot of work trying to swim along side the whalesharkes, but the guides helped. A once in a lifetime experience.

Oh my munchkin would LOVE to do this.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...