Theater Access In Wheelchair

LynnObie

We took our first Princess cruise last May/June aboard the Diamond. In order to get into the theater, I had to push my wife in her wheelchair up a fairly steep ramp before turning to continue up another steep ramp. After doing this 3 times on a 14 day cruise, we decided to give up. I must say this was the most ill-conceived layout we have encountered on any ship! We have done many Celebrity & Holland America Cruises and have always found them to be quite wheelchair friendly.

I was later told by someone that they doubted all Princess ships are designed with such poor access to the theater for passengers in wheelchairs. They could not give me any specifics.

I would appreciate hearing which Princess ships, if any, have direct theater access for wheelchairs without the steep ramps found on the Diamond. We would be primarily interested in Princess ships out of the West Coast. Thanks in advance.:)

We took our first Princess cruise last May/June aboard the Diamond. In order to get into the theater, I had to push my wife in her wheelchair up a fairly steep ramp before turning to continue up another steep ramp. After doing this 3 times on a 14 day cruise, we decided to give up. I must say this was the most ill-conceived layout we have encountered on any ship! We have done many Celebrity & Holland America Cruises and have always found them to be quite wheelchair friendly.

I was later told by someone that they doubted all Princess ships are designed with such poor access to the theater for passengers in wheelchairs. They could not give me any specifics.

I would appreciate hearing which Princess ships, if any, have direct theater access for wheelchairs without the steep ramps found on the Diamond. We would be primarily interested in Princess ships out of the West Coast. Thanks in advance.:)

Any crewmember would have been glad to help you...

Have you checked in the disabled board?

I will also check that out, thanks!

Any crewmember would have been glad to help you...

I think that's probably true, however there were no crew members present on any of the 3 occasions. We'd hate to find ourselves aboard another ship with this poorly designed layout!

From personal experience: On the Crown class ships (Ruby, Emerald and Crown) the theater is two levels: the upper level has wheelchair space at the rear but we have found that non-disabled passengers often block this area from the intended use. However, the lower level has a generous area set aside for chairs, and is truly accessible. Check the deck plans since the entrances to the lower level are not as apparent as those for the upper.

Sorry I don't know about any of the other ships.

As for improper use of the upper level (Promenade Level 7) area, we have spoken to the CD on one of the cruises (one of the BETTER CDs) but the crew seems to be unable to improve the situation.

Shalom from Te; Aviv. Andy

The Royal Princess and I suspect the new Regal too have much better wheelchair access. You can even get pretty close to the stage on these ships. I know someone that handled the ramps and such on his own with very little problem. But you can always ask for help.

No easy access for the Grand. It's up a ramp to the back of the top balcony. I seem to recall four chairs on either side plus room for wheelchairs without going down the stairs. There is no access to the lower floor - both up and down stairs there.:(

We were on the Ruby recently and I was very happy to find wheelchair seating down near

the stage with no ramps to access. It was lovely. We were on the left side and there were two wheelchair spaces with companion spaces next to them. There may have been more

spaces in the theater also.

Edited by DesrtDrmr

Star Princess and Sea Princess both consigned us to the very back of the theater behind the last row of seats. My wife and I actually dragged chairs in from the hall so we could sit with our son.

Timetravler... Thanks, Bernadette & Eric, for your reply. Will look into those suggested ships. Will not EVER book another cruise on a ship with ramps like Diamond & Sapphire have.

Nancy... Grand is obviously not for us either!

DesrtDrmr... I like your screen name. Wondering what part of the desert you're from. We live in the high desert, half way between San Diego & Las Vegas. Will take a look at the Ruby as one other fellow cruiser suggested.

Thrak... We wouldn't necessarily mind the last row, provided we didn't have to navigate a steep ramp just to get into the theater as on the Diamond, Sapphire & don't know which others with same poorly designed layout. Does Star & Sea Princess have easy wheelchair access to theater or must you do the steep ramp I mentioned?