4 nights in Stockholm - first time visitors!

We will be finishing a cruise next late May in Stockholm. We will have 4 nights and will be staying 3 of those nights in Gamla Stan. I have a couple questions -

1) would you plan on mostly walking and taking local transportation? (I hear that taxis are not regulated.) and will our location allow for us to easily see and do many of the wonderful sites in this beautiful city?

2) we have a VERY early departure and are considering staying at the Radisson Blu located at the airport rather than stay another night in Gamla Stan - I would appreciate some thoughts on this?

Thank you!

The choice of the Radisson Blu in Sky City at Arlanda Airport is a great option for early departures.

You do not really need taxis for the most part if staying in Gamla Stan. Walking is an option for the inner city area from there and otherwise several local busses take the ring route around the area to get you almost anywhere in the city and you have a metro station that connects you to the entire network right there.

The fact that taxis are not 'regulated' is not an issue if you stick to Taxi Stockholm, Taxi Kurir and Taxi 020. While they have distinct logos, some of the 'un-serious' taxis do try to find names that might confuse a tourist. Most taxis in Stockholm are fine. You can even call the companies mentioned and get fixed prices for most routes.

1. walking and public transport will get you around more then well enough. The public transport network in Stockholm is very extensive so get yourselves the Stockholm card and off you go. :)

2. I agree with Madflyer, staying at a hotel at the airport is a very good idea.

Edited by Desdichado62

We walked everywhere. It's flat and easy to walk around if you like walking. After looking at Gamla Stan we were going to get the HOHO bus but just kept walking.

You don't say how early VERY early is.

We got the hotel to arrange taxi pickup at 5.45am for us. They also organised a packaged breakfast to take with us.

I'd rather that than have to checkout at 10am the day before and sit at an airport hotel (unless there's something there to see/do of couse). Day wasted I think.

Edited by sayaguru

planning on 5 or 6 nights in stockholm in mid may - preferably gamla stan

but not only location - have looked at frommer & rick steves - also trip advisor

which offers so many reviews good and bad - usually only go with the positive ones

but need to be aware of negative also !:eek:

am so overwhelmed trying to find a reasonably priced hotel US $ 200 - 275

which has an elevator, ample & nice breakfast, good sized shower which does not

wet the entire bathroom, enough room in bedroom to walk around w/ our 4 suitcases,

close to the bus or subway to get around the city -

we cannot walk too much at a time :rolleyes:

does anyone have any good personal suggestions ? thanks for any advice ;)

p.s. i copied desdichado62 post discussing rex & rica hotels which i am going to review

Edited by loma linda ca a & j

@loma linda ca a & j Just be aware that the Rica Hotels have changed name/brand and that they now are a part of Scandic Hotels.

See this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43869594&postcount=1839

Except that i don't have much more advice to give.

yes i was "transported" :D to that scandic site !;)

Our flight departs 06:30 - we are checking out of our hotel in Gamla Stan the day prior. They will keep our bags until later in the day when we will taxi to the airport hotel. Even our hotel thought it to be the wiser way to schedule.

As far as pricing - I gave up trying to find what I wanted or hoped for. We are happy with the decision to book The Victory Hotel. They have been great to work with and I think a wonderful looking hotel at a fair price point for Stockholm.

Our flight departs 06:30 - we are checking out of our hotel in Gamla Stan the day prior. They will keep our bags until later in the day when we will taxi to the airport hotel. Even our hotel thought it to be the wiser way to schedule.

As far as pricing - I gave up trying to find what I wanted or hoped for. We are happy with the decision to book The Victory Hotel. They have been great to work with and I think a wonderful looking hotel at a fair price point for Stockholm.

the victory hotel was one of our first choices but since we want to stay 5 or 6 nights was trying to find something less expensive - might have to spend the $$$ if cannot find something less that meets our requirements :eek:

We stayed at the Scandic Hotel in Gamla Stan, a great choice. Our SAS flight was in the a.m. and the hotel concierge arranged an early morning taxi for us. Our taxi ride was professional and fairly priced. The Scandic was in a perfect location, had wonderful service (and breakfasts!) and traditional Swedish décor.

We will be finishing a cruise next late May in Stockholm. We will have 4 nights and will be staying 3 of those nights in Gamla Stan. I have a couple questions -

1) would you plan on mostly walking and taking local transportation? (I hear that taxis are not regulated.) and will our location allow for us to easily see and do many of the wonderful sites in this beautiful city?

Thank you!

Besides taxis and public transport Stockholm also has boats. They go like public transport on regular basis from organized piers. It is a very convenient way to get from island to island. For instance if you want to get from Gamlastan to Duragarten on foot or by taxi you have to drive or walk a long way around along embankments and several bridges to get there. But if you take the boat you just go across the harbor and it takes about 15 minutes and you have a beautiful view while sailing. Have a look here http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/djurgarden-ferry/maps-ferry-terminals/

Edited by MarGG
add information

Besides taxis and public transport Stockholm also has boats. They go like public transport on regular basis from organized piers. It is a very convenient way to get from island to island. For instance if you want to get from Gamlastan to Duragarten on foot or by taxi you have to drive or walk a long way around along embankments and several bridges to get there. But if you take the boat you just go across the harbor and it takes about 15 minutes and you have a beautiful view while sailing. Have a look here http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/djurgarden-ferry/maps-ferry-terminals/

really looking forward to boats and ferries !!!

want to go on the boat for greater part of the day that goes along the archipelago !!;)

was trying to respond to and thank PNW traveler but

response came up blank !!

think we have narrowed our choices to victory & scandic

did either of you (traveler & vineyard) choose the lower price

paying at booking ?? how many nights did you stay ??

did the elevator function ? we don't do stairs !:eek:

Scandic had an elevator, not huge, but it worked. We booked this hotel through our travel agent, so did not take advantage of internet discount booking.

The water taxi style boats were a great way to get around Stockholm. We treated them like a HOHO. Unfortunately, we did not have time for a full day boat trip through the islands.

Don't miss touring the Palace. It's beautiful and rivals anything in Europe. Go early a.m. to the Vasa Museum to minimize crowds. The Vasa Museum has a good café for a quick lunch or coffee and pastry.

PNW & buggins

yes those places are on our list & why we must stay 5 or 6 nights !!!;)

including a boat day thru the archipelago & a day at skansen

we are a little slow walking but love seeing everything -

museums, castles, churches, gardens so it takes us longer

than some of the tourists who are able to go to 5 places in one day

(or 5 countries in a week on a tour bus - no thank you !!! :eek:)

PNW & buggins

yes those places are on our list & why we must stay 5 or 6 nights !!!;)

including a boat day thru the archipelago & a day at skansen

we are a little slow walking but love seeing everything -

museums, castles, churches, gardens so it takes us longer

than some of the tourists who are able to go to 5 places in one day

(or 5 countries in a week on a tour bus - no thank you !!! :eek:)

You are doing it right for someone of any age!!! Love your idea of visiting Two major Scandinavian cities for more extended periods after a TA.

I worked directly with The Victory Hotel - just my style preference when we travel. That allows me to ask specific questions about what I read - and it allows me to gain a more personal 'feel' to the property. Often that in itself helps me to decide where. We also have to have elevators!

Thanks for the water passage tips - more fun homework!!!

We will have a total of 5 nights, with the last one at the airport hotel that we will taxi to on our last evening after a full day exploring. With a 6:30A departure that is just what works best for us on this trip.

You are doing it right for someone of any age!!! Love your idea of visiting Two major Scandinavian cities for more extended periods after a TA.

forgot to mention i am the family historian - have been to france and quebec

several times for my paternal side but this is first time for my maternal side -

last year we had a fabulous 4 weeks in british isles which is my husband's

heritage - decided sweden had to happen NOW

my grandparents came to boston from gothenburg in the 1880s via

copenhagen to nyc to boston - if we did not have a cat who will be 15

in april we would stay 2 months !!!:D

they were from surteby & fotskal 2 towns southeast of goth. &

do not know if they ever went to stockholm but there is so much to see there

including skansen which will show me how they lived in the mid 1800's;)

I worked directly with The Victory Hotel - just my style preference when we travel. That allows me to ask specific questions about what I read - and it allows me to gain a more personal 'feel' to the property. Often that in itself helps me to decide where. We also have to have elevators!

Thanks for the water passage tips - more fun homework!!!

We will have a total of 5 nights, with the last one at the airport hotel that we will taxi to on our last evening after a full day exploring. With a 6:30A departure that is just what works best for us on this trip.

on our 3 week land trip to italy in 2008 (plus 3 cruises of greek isles,

TA / medit to ft laud, & carib ending up being 67 days of travel),

i had found 3 great places to stay in rome florence and venice -

communicating with all 3 for almost a year prior - agree with you -

definitely made it more personal !!!;)

when will you be at victory ?? it does look delightful !!

We arrive in Stockholm I believe on May 30th next year, coming off the new Viking Oceans. 1 night there on ship plus 4 more.

In almost all our travels, I enjoy researching where to stay - whether we are strictly land based national or international, or taking time pre and post cruise. I really do enjoy communicating with the individuals at the properties - and since we tend to stay in smaller - generally a bit upscale - I have a chance to develop a relationship prior to arrival. It has never steered me wrong - even when I have asked for a different room upon arrival, which is very rare.

That said, probably most prefer not to take that or have that time - working out just fine for them!

We arrive in Stockholm I believe on May 30th next year, coming off the new Viking Oceans. 1 night there on ship plus 4 more.

In almost all our travels, I enjoy researching where to stay - whether we are strictly land based national or international, or taking time pre and post cruise. I really do enjoy communicating with the individuals at the properties - and since we tend to stay in smaller - generally a bit upscale - I have a chance to develop a relationship prior to arrival. It has never steered me wrong - even when I have asked for a different room upon arrival, which is very rare.

That said, probably most prefer not to take that or have that time - working out just fine for them!

we should be in goth. about may 4-6 & stock. may 7-12

do you know what room or floor you will have -

which type of room did you book ?

p.s. bet that viking oceans trip will be awesome !!

We booked Captains Deluxe Room. If you send them an email, Cecilia is their reservations manager and she was great to work with. We wanted a nice sized quiet room. She is blocking a specific room for us, but I am not sure of the details.

And yes, we are really really excited about the Viking Oceans - we loved their style - their whole package - on a river cruise last year Amsterdam to Budapest.

We are on their maiden voyage - and while I hated paying so far in advance, there is something liberating at this stage where I don't have to still worry about that piece!!