Is this wrong? Would you ever do it?

We asked this same question of the maitre'd on our last RCCL cruise. He said that many people do it and they don't frown upon it at all. He said that if we were on board we'd be eating lunch/dinner there anyway, so enjoy! He cautioned that we make sure that we have a way to keep things cool, and suggested an ice bag from the room steward to help with this. Hope this helps!

Last thing I need is to carry more stuff then my Camera, I have read on here people doing it, I dont recommend it since it could spread diseases to other country, or spreading insects like the Fruit fly etc.

Guest Time2gocruzn

Different ports have different rules about bringing food ashore. I don't remember seeing anything about it on the Miracle (I may have missed it though) and I don't remember anyone saying anything about it. We very easily could have done it, but we really wanted to sample the local cuisine:) They have little boxes of dry cereal out for breakfast and we did throw a few of those in our bag for the kids. BUT we were very careful NOT to leave any trash ANYWHERE. I always carried all our trash back to the ship with us.

put a couple of boxes of cereal, or a wrapped bagel (since my youngest gets the munchies and is very picky about what he will eat) but never any fruit or veggies.

We packed sandwiches I made from the breakfast buffet when we toured Grand Cayman. I am so glad we did because it was the only thing we got to eat the whole time (9-2:30) we where on the island. We scheduled a private Island tour, stingray city and snorkel and needed the fuel!

Fish, as you can see, it is being done. I'm very surprised that a maitre d' would say it's ok though.

It's against local gov't policy in many foreign ports to bring on fruits and veggies, and I can understand this. ONCE, I had an older friend who couldn't eat anything spicy, no MX food, so I did order her a ham/cheese sandwich (minus the lettuce & tomato) to take for lunch. I put a few ice cubes in a ziploc bag, the sandwich in a smaller ziploc bag, and off we went. I prefer having local food when I'm in a foreign port, so we went to a restaurant and she had her little sandwich.

Anything pre-packaged (like boxes of cereal) are ok.:)

Nope, We haven't taken any food with us, and I doubt we ever will.

I wouldn't say it's wrong ,it's not like your stealing from the ship or anything of that nature, We just prefer to eat before we leave, and then have a small snack in port.

Laura

I've never done it. I just don't feel right about doing that.

We always make sure to eat a good breakfast before going out into port. It holds us over quite well. Skipping a meal won't kill you. I do understand with children it's different....but I'd most likely buy my kids something in port.

Last thing I need is to carry more stuff then my Camera, I have read on here people doing it, I dont recommend it since it could spread diseases to other country, or spreading insects like the Fruit fly etc.

Sure enough, another fellow Southern Californian will attest to the damage the fruit fly did to our local economy several years back. It took months of destroying crops and spraying neighborhoods with helicopters (the spray can ruin the paint on cars).

As others have said, fruits and veggies are a no-no. :mad:

I do it all the time too-- Not for the ports though-- I know not to take food off there unless its prepared food-- boxes of cereal.

But on the day of getting off the ship- I have a long day ahead of me-- with getting off the ship- waiting at the airport and heading home. (ever price a burger at the airport?? - i could cruise again for the price of buying my family burgers at the airport)

and ziplock baggies are top of my list.

Ok, so it's a no-no to take fruit and veggies off the ship but could one perhaps purchase fruit in port and bring it back on the ship?

Ok, so it's a no-no to take fruit and veggies off the ship but could one perhaps purchase fruit in port and bring it back on the ship?

I don't think you can bring fruits or vegetable onto the ship either.

I have never taken any food of ship mostly because I never really thought about it and we like to try different foods. May consider it this time, we've spent alot of money trying foods that I didn't like and didn't eat. Like others have said, if I stayed on the ship I would be eating lunch or at least a snack.

Archived