Speciality Dining questions (30% savings? current USD prices)

Hi everyone,

I am into booking dinners for my upcoming cruises.

On the page there was a promotion telling me that I can get up to 30% onboard credit for booking three speciality restaurants or more.

How does this work? I made reservations for Wonderland, Chops and Jamies, but I didn't see anything about this offer?

It would also be very nice if someone could check their cruise planner for current prices of the restaurants in USD. I booked in EUR so I can't see the USD prices, even with changing country to USA:

Chops

Wonderland

Chef's Table

Jamies

Don't know if that makes a difference but I will be on Anthem.

Thanks in advance for helping me again,

Ingo

I think to get the full 30% you need to book 5 speciality restaurants but I could be mistaken! The money should be credited to your seapass account when you embark. The prices are in euro for me too!

I've seen the percentage deal thing (it seems to vary from itinerary to itinerary as what I saw was 20%), but I'm confused as to what the % is of. Is it of the amount you spend on the specialty restaurants? The cruise fare?

Also, if you were to make reservations in advance, is it possible to change them when on board? I was going to wait and reserve one or more on board because I won't know my group leader dining times (I'm with a group and we rotate among set tables every night, and everyone gets a time to dine with one of our two group leaders - but we don't know that until we get our race kits in Anchorage on July 30.) but depending on how much that % would be, I'd consider booking ahead.

I've seen the percentage deal thing (it seems to vary from itinerary to itinerary as what I saw was 20%), but I'm confused as to what the % is of. Is it of the amount you spend on the specialty restaurants? The cruise fare?

Also, if you were to make reservations in advance, is it possible to change them when on board? I was going to wait and reserve one or more on board because I won't know my group leader dining times (I'm with a group and we rotate among set tables every night, and everyone gets a time to dine with one of our two group leaders - but we don't know that until we get our race kits in Anchorage on July 30.) but depending on how much that % would be, I'd consider booking ahead.

The 20, 25 & 30 % is off the cost of the specialty restaurant. When we sailed the Quantum in February the % off was in OBC's when booked on-line, but reduced from the set price when booked on board. Don' know if these options are still offered.

The 20, 25 & 30 % is off the cost of the specialty restaurant. When we sailed the Quantum in February the % off was in OBC's when booked on-line, but reduced from the set price when booked on board. Don' know if these options are still offered.

Thanks - that's kind of what I suspected. I'll probably just wait in that case - another :( of traveling solo (yes, I'm with a group, but overall we don't know each other yet)...the % would be kind of ridiculously small.

Can you explain what happened when you booked the three onboard? Were the % just taken off the price then? Sorry I am not sure what you mean by "but reduced from the set price when booked on board".

Very nice, thanks alot!

I wonder why Royal doesn't link to this in the planner... instead they only show the image telling you about a possible 30% OBC...

I wonder why Royal doesn't link to this in the planner... instead they only show the image telling you about a possible 30% OBC...

Too complicated for the IT folks. They devote all their expertise to charging your credit card within milliseconds.:rolleyes:

Can you explain what happened when you booked the three onboard? Were the % just taken off the price then? Sorry I am not sure what you mean by "but reduced from the set price when booked on board".

I had booked the specialty restaurants for the Quantum on line as the other option was not available at that time. An example of the reduced pricing is: If a restaurant costs $25 @ 20% you would be charged $20 and no OBCs. While, if you book 3 restaurants on line you would pay $25 and get $5 in OBC credited to your account.

3=25%, 4+=30%.

Hope this is clear.

So some of the specialty restaurants are pay upfront if you book prior or like Jamie's you pay as per what you've eaten even if I book now so I don't know how it will work with that mix. I'm confused !

Edited by RenaeG

So some of the specialty restaurants are pay upfront if you book prior or like Jamie's you pay as per what you've eaten even if I book now so I don't know how it will work with that mix. I'm confused !

They will add OBC based on the charges for food (not drinks).

I had booked the specialty restaurants for the Quantum on line as the other option was not available at that time. An example of the reduced pricing is: If a restaurant costs $25 @ 20% you would be charged $20 and no OBCs. While, if you book 3 restaurants on line you would pay $25 and get $5 in OBC credited to your account.

3=25%, 4+=30%.

Hope this is clear.

So it is pretty much the same - one time you save money onboard, the other you have OBC to spend.

Is the discount always available onboard?

Edited by UniPac

So it is pretty much the same - one time you save money onboard, the other you have OBC to spend.

Is the discount always available onboard?

To my knowledge, the dining package is available pre-cruise, onboard, or a combination.

The al a carte restaurants are included in your total number of venues for the basis of the OBC, but the al a carte venues always reduce the food portion of the check by the 20/25/30 % onboard.

While I found they were willing to add venues with additional discount onboard, I think in the future I would recommend anyone to just book onboard as it is more clear unless one absolutely needed a specific time and venue for a special occasion.

To my knowledge, the dining package is available pre-cruise, onboard, or a combination.

No, I ran into the problem with the combo. I had booked 2 on line and 1 on board and GS refused to give me the 20%. It had to be all 3 prior or all 3 on board. I complained bitterly to the dining manager by saying that it should be based on what you pay and not based on how the reserves are made. Pleasantly surprised that one or the restaurant managers tracked us down at Chic on the last night with the news that the OBC would appear on our account--it did and we were glad. RCL's has some very strange policies.

No, I ran into the problem with the combo. I had booked 2 on line and 1 on board and GS refused to give me the 20%. It had to be all 3 prior or all 3 on board. I complained bitterly to the dining manager by saying that it should be based on what you pay and not based on how the reserves are made. Pleasantly surprised that one or the restaurant managers tracked us down at Chic on the last night with the news that the OBC would appear on our account--it did and we were glad. RCL's has some very strange policies.

Thanks for the update. I know I've read that people add restaurants on board and get more OBC, but like everything else on Royal, it's not consistent.

Thanks for all your answers... I now know that you can't be sure what will happen if you mix up the reservation... good work RCL :D

What happens if I cancel a dinner one week before sail date - will it be refunded without a fee?

If somebody would be kind and point me to the recent prices (USD please) for:

• Chops
  • Wonderland
  • Chef's Table
  • Jamies

(Don't know if that makes a difference but I will be on Anthem.)

I found that Jamies is USD 30 - will there be 18% service charge on top or is it always included in the prices?

Edited by UniPac

...What happens if I cancel a dinner one week before sail date - will it be refunded without a fee?...

Yes, it might take up to 10 business days, but you will get a refund to your credit card.

• 1 month later...

I too would find it helpful if someone could post the pricing for the specialty restaurants. I am only seeing examples and statements telling me that I can save a percentage when booking. But I sure would like to know the costs associated with each to have an idea of what I will need to be budgeting. I can't find anything on the Royal website nor online when searching. Is there a place that breaks down the cost of them all so we can get a better idea?

I too would find it helpful if someone could post the pricing for the specialty restaurants. I am only seeing examples and statements telling me that I can save a percentage when booking. But I sure would like to know the costs associated with each to have an idea of what I will need to be budgeting. I can't find anything on the Royal website nor online when searching. Is there a place that breaks down the cost of them all so we can get a better idea?

I was able to get the prices I was looking for:

• Chops $39 USD

• Wonderland $49 USD
  • Chef's Table $85 USD

• Jamies $30 USD

Hope this helps!

Your Cruise Planner should list the prices of all restaurants with a cover charge.

Your Cruise Planner should list the prices of all restaurants with a cover charge.

I already checked there and it does not. Basically at this time it tells me my cruise is too far in the future for any dining information to be available.

I just wanted to have a general idea so that overtime I can begin planning and not have any surprises. This is why I also book cruises a way out. I have until next year, but I like to get everything I can taken care of ahead of time.

To the one that listed a few prices, thanks for your help!!!!

To the one that listed a few prices, thanks for your help!!!!

That's me :) You are welcome!

What are you missing saying "few prices"? Izumi is a la Carte at Quantum Class, same for Johnny Rockets. Don't know about other ships except for that Johnny Rocket's is $5,95 on Allure/Oasis.

Edited by UniPac

That's me :) You are welcome!

What are you missing saying "few prices"? Izumi is a la Carte at Quantum Class, same for Johnny Rockets. Don't know about other ships except for that Johnny Rocket's is $5,95 on Allure/Oasis.

Overall when I looked I couldn't remember how many specialty restaurants were on the ship, other than the 3 listed (I wasn't thinking of the chef's table). I also knew of the Johnny Rockets. I looked last night at some of them and their menus and pictures, but this morning I couldn't remember off hand if it was just the three or if there were any others. If there are just the three then I am thinking we will be able to book them all. I am a bit more used to the quantity on NCL in terms of the specialty restaurants.

While I have continued to look at Royal over the years, this is my first booking with them. So I am learning more now.