UBP and bar receipts

mickev99

So I thought I read somewhere that when you have the UBP and order a drink, you still get a receipt with the charge on it, but then it gets wiped off of your account. Is this true? How can I be sure that I am not being charged? I will be on the Dawn, which I believe doesn't have the capability of seeing the charges on your tv.

The only experience I have with a free drink package is when my brother got it on Royal Caribbean...he rarely got a receipt when ordering a drink, and if he did, it was zeroed out with just a tip line if he wanted to tip extra.

Thanks!

So I thought I read somewhere that when you have the UBP and order a drink, you still get a receipt with the charge on it, but then it gets wiped off of your account. Is this true? How can I be sure that I am not being charged? I will be on the Dawn, which I believe doesn't have the capability of seeing the charges on your tv.

The only experience I have with a free drink package is when my brother got it on Royal Caribbean...he rarely got a receipt when ordering a drink, and if he did, it was zeroed out with just a tip line if he wanted to tip extra.

Thanks!

That is how it works. It may take a day or two for it to be adjusted on your bill.

If you can't check it on your TV or with iConcierge, then stop by the front desk periodically and ask for a printout. If in a suite, the concierge can print one out for you as well.

When we were on the epic in august with the UBP , when you order an alcoholic drink they ring up the receipt with the total on it as normal, but next to the total is an 'X' i asked the barman and he says they have to ring it through to balance stock lists, but the total was never added to our bill, i used Iconcierge to keep a look at our spending, and not one drink was added. Usually for soft drinks you just showed your card and never signed for anything. If you have UDP they will ring all the food meals through but then zero everything off bfore the total.

We just got off the Jade ( which also does not have the tv viewing of the account). We had a receipt for every drink then they were all zeroed out for the final account.

It was fun adding them up when we got home!!

We were on the Dawn in January and you can get a printout any time from guest services.

The bill does have the total with gratuity and usually UBP is written on the top of it (at least it was when we sailed, that may have changed). When we got our final bill, all that was on it were the tax charges (sailed out of NoLa and was charged all evening on the first night as we sailed down the Mississippi in La waters and a mistaken charge for the last night in Cagney's when two drinks were charged on one bill and I got hit for $12!).

So I thought I read somewhere that when you have the UBP and order a drink, you still get a receipt with the charge on it, but then it gets wiped off of your account. Is this true? How can I be sure that I am not being charged?

You can be sure because for the past couple years thousands and thousands of people have cruised with UBP and that's how it works.

Its just nice to know exactly how it works if this is your first NCL cruise. On both Celebrity and Royal you are given two receipts, one for you to sign and the bar to keep and the other for you to keep and both those receipts will show a 0.00 balance. On NCL the two receipts look exactly as though you do not have a UBP....the total price of the drink, the gratuity and any applicable port taxes is listed. I thought at first that our server had not noticed that our cards had the UBP sticker on them. I was told the figures listed were for accounting purposes and my account would show a zero balance (or just the applicable port taxes.)

It did make it fun to be able to add up all the costs to see how much you would have paid. On Celebrity and Royal you'd have had to make a note on each receipt to be able to do that....

We were on the Dawn in January and you can get a printout any time from guest services.

The bill does have the total with gratuity and usually UBP is written on the top of it (at least it was when we sailed, that may have changed). When we got our final bill, all that was on it were the tax charges (sailed out of NoLa and was charged all evening on the first night as we sailed down the Mississippi in La waters and a mistaken charge for the last night in Cagney's when two drinks were charged on one bill and I got hit for $12!).

Good to know about the taxes, we are sailing out of NOLA too. I will make sure I check periodically to make sure there isn't a mistake.

Oh, another thing, do you have to wait a certain amount of time in between getting drinks? I can't imagine I'll be drinking that fast, but like if I get an after dinner cordial and then want a glass of wine or something like that?

The process must vary from ship to ship; we just got off the Pearl a week ago and also really missed having the interactive tv function we've come to depend on. We received a bar bill for every drink but all that ever showed up on our account summary was the extra amount of tip we added.

Thanks!

Just off the Sky. We got a receipt for every single drink. It indicated the price of the drink, the service charge, and tax (if any while in Miami port). There was a line for the tip, total, name, and signature. They were all zeroed out except for taxes.

I stopped by Guest Services one afternoon and asked for a copy of my account and verified everything was charged, or not charged to be more accurate, correctly. Had no problems at all.

if you want to be certain and don't have interactive TV just drop by guest services who will give you a print out.

We just got off the Jade ( which also does not have the tv viewing of the account). We had a receipt for every drink then they were all zeroed out for the final account.

It was fun adding them up when we got home!!

We saved all of our receipts too, just to see if the package would be worth buying next time if no promo was offered. Ours added up to $780 US, but we didn't drink one day/night. We would likely have broke even for 7 full days/nights.

Edited by ilovetotravel1977

We saved all of our receipts too, just to see if the package would be worth buying next time if no promo was offered. Ours added up to $780 US, but we didn't drink one day/night. We would likely have broke even for 7 full days/nights.

LOL - UBP was a free perk (excellent value considering we only paid $99/pp for the cruise - 3 day Pacific Coastal). I'm not much of a drinker but I though I'd really give it a go - I drank as hard as I could. Mimosa for breakfast, DOD's in the afternoon, Kir Royale as apertifs, wine with dinner, liquor with coffee before bed...it felt like I was just drinking non-stop and I was certainly feeling it from time to time. Perception is everything I guess - when I counted all the receipts (which I carefully kept) turns out I consumed 14 drinks in 3.5 days. Nope, no way could I make UBP work if I had to pay for it. :p

Yes this is how it works. We are on the getaway right now there is four of us in our group we had lunch at O'Sheehan's The receipt came showing all charges for drinks they scanned our cards because we have the UBP. Once we checked our account the charges for the drinks were gone just the sales tax for the state of Florida but you have to pay while still in Port. The sail away party starts here in a few minutes we're going to go ship is now moving just pulling out of port I'm going to disconnect turn all my devices off and enjoy my vacation see you later cruise critic vans enjoy goodbye.