Visa requirements for UK citizens

upwarduk

Hi Bonnie,

I wrote to the Canadian immigration office last year, enquiring if I need a visa to enter Canada on our cruise 09/09/16 on Quest departing Southampton for Montreal.

Here is their reply,

"Thank you for writing to the Canada Visa Help Desk.

We would like to inform you that British citizens do not need a Visitor/Transit Visa to visit Canada. Kindly visit the CIC website for further inquiries: http://www.cic.gc.ca. "

When I visit the web site, there is a notice that states that a visa is needed after March 2016, if ENTERING BY AIR.

So my conclusion is that as we are entering by cruise ship, then we DO NOT NEED A VISA.

Please confirm.

I think this will clarify things:

British overseas citizens - re-admissible to the United Kingdom

Starting March 15, 2016, you need an eTA to visit or transit Canada by air if you are a British overseas citizen who is re-admissible to the United Kingdom. You can apply now for an eTA.

If you travel before March 15, 2016, you do not need an eTA but you can still apply for one. For now, make sure you travel with acceptable travel documents and identification, such as a valid passport

If you travel by land or sea, you will not need an eTA when you enter Canada. However, you must travel with acceptable travel documents and identification.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

IMO, given the changeover on March 15, 2016, you ought to go ahead and get an eTA even though you don't technically need it as a cruise passenger. The reason I think you should get the eTA is if something unforeseen should happen (such as an illness where you or someone in your party needs to be hospitalized in Canada) you would be far better off having an eTA as opposed to not having it and then it turns out you need it. If you don't have it and someone in your party winds up in the hospital in Canada, it is possible that everyone else would be forced to continue with the voyage leaving the person alone in the hospital in Canada to fend for himself or herself until the family members could get an eTA and fly back to Canada. I'm sure Canada will be more considerate of this type of situation than what was experienced by my friends in Russia, but, on the other hand, do you really want to take even the smallest chance? I must admit, I tend to be overly cautious, but then I've been traveling internationally most of my life and have had all sorts of crazy things happen, so, I always err on the side of caution.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Hi Bonnie,

I wrote to the Canadian immigration office last year, enquiring if I need a visa to enter Canada on our cruise 09/09/16 on Quest departing Southampton for Montreal.

Here is their reply,

"Thank you for writing to the Canada Visa Help Desk.

We would like to inform you that British citizens do not need a Visitor/Transit Visa to visit Canada. Kindly visit the CIC website for further inquiries: http://www.cic.gc.ca. "

When I visit the web site, there is a notice that states that a visa is needed after March 2016, if ENTERING BY AIR.

So my conclusion is that as we are entering by cruise ship, then we DO NOT NEED A VISA.

Please confirm.

I do apologize but I'm not the authority on visas, who needs them etc. I recommend you call our Guest Service desk, or your travel professional.

P.s. I only happen to know about India not accepting e-visas because I was on the Dubai-Singapore voyage in November and it was a big problem.