Once a Day Room Cleaning on Carnival?

I have sailed on Glory last Dec and got both morning / evening room cleaning service. Plan a back to back cruise in Aug on Splendor, but recently read there are only once a day room cleaning services now.

Is it true? Any one sailed on Splendor recently and experienced that?

I have read someone from Carnival says that customers were given a choice to do either Morning, Evening, or Both. But some clients said the room attendants literately refuse to honor the "both" and insist they will do only morning, or evening.

It seems no firm words from Carnival explains this clearly. Please if anyone can clarify the situation. Thnx.

We got both in January. If a room steward refuses, i would remove the tip, and call guest services immediately, it's not his choice. You are the guest and once a day in not acceptable.

I have sailed on Glory last Dec and got both morning / evening room cleaning service. Plan a back to back cruise in Aug on Splendor, but recently read there are only once a day room cleaning services now.

Is it true? Any one sailed on Splendor recently and experienced that?

I have read someone from Carnival says that customers were given a choice to do either Morning, Evening, or Both. But some clients said the room attendants literately refuse to honor the "both" and insist they will do only morning, or evening.

It seems no firm words from Carnival explains this clearly. Please if anyone can clarify the situation. Thnx.

Okay, I'll be the first to open up a can of worms. Does this mean then that the steward gets only 1/2 the tip for 1/2 service? For the past several cruises on both Carnival and Princess, the first day we tell the steward only service in the morning - no evening service. I tipped him fully and even gave him some extra 1/2 way between the cruise. Like all things happening in the cruise industry, cut backs will be coming from every where.

We were on a 9 day on the Sunshine last week. Met our steward on embarkation afternoon , he never said a word about once or twice a day choices , and we had morning and evening service the entire cruise.

It's only once on certain ships and you are supposed to be given a choice.

But, I can't imagine how gross someone has to be that you can't clean up after yourself just a little to the point that once a day is "unacceptable" and worth removing tips over.

Let's penalize the room steward over a trial program they're being told to comply to. Thats hardcore.

We were on a 9 day on the Sunshine last week. Met our steward on embarkation afternoon , he never said a word about once or twice a day choices , and we had morning and evening service the entire cruise.

Really good to hear. If one time per day cleaning becomes Carnival norm, that will likely be the final straw for me... After 24 cruises.

But, I can't imagine how gross someone has to be that you can't clean up after yourself just a little to the point that once a day is "unacceptable" and worth removing tips over.

Let's penalize the room steward over a trial program they're being told to comply to. Thats hardcore.

It's not about being dirty but instead false information.

I think the point has been that yes it is a trial to let you chose however the stewards are telling guests they only get once a day. Thus the issue is the steward deliberatly giving bad information given that jh says it is the guests option to get once or twice a day.

Edited by BeachChik

We were given the option on our Dream cruise in February. We chose morning service, and that was plenty for us. We still got a couple towel animals when we returned from the MDR in the evening, along with our Fun Times. Not a deal breaker for us.....

This has been beat to death but...

If you don't like it don't penalize the steward. If he/she lies to you that's one thing but if they are told to roll this out make your choice before you cruise. Vote with your dollars there. Not on the workers that are following policy.

Uh.. No not hardcore, I think it is the only smart thing to do. Penalize the room steward is your concern, not penalizing the paying guest?

Now, I believe that there is a choice, and as long as the choice to have both service times is offered, it would not affect my gratuities. However, should the choice be taken away, and only 1/2 the service is offered, then yes I expect the gratuity should be cut in 1/2 as well.

I have never seen a job, including my own to take work and responsibility away from me, and allow me to keep the same pay. My earnings and time away from my family are just as important as the next persons.

• Like 1

This has been beat to death but...

If you don't like it don't penalize the steward. If he/she lies to you that's one thing but if they are told to roll this out make your choice before you cruise. Vote with your dollars there. Not on the workers that are following policy.

If the workers are following policy, then we are being lied to, which appears "we" stopped them dead in their tracks trying to roll this out while pulling the wool over the flock.

And then There are those that are saying they can't take on 75% more cabins and do twice a day SERVICE for everyone, so they are looking for those scapegoats that will buy into the once a day service.

And those that order a half steak dinner willing to pay for a full steak. Well, there's terms there are well.

I will say the returning cruisers from the 6 test ships has died down. Looks like we may have win this battle.

If the workers are following policy, then we are being lied to, which appears "we" stopped them dead in their tracks trying to roll this out while pulling the wool over the flock.

And then There are those that are saying they can't take on 75% more cabins and do twice a day SERVICE for everyone, so they are looking for those scapegoats that will buy into the once a day service.

And those that order a half steak dinner willing to pay for a full steak. Well, there's terms there are well.

I will say the returning cruisers from the 6 test ships has died down. Looks like we may have win this battle.

I guess I'm a scapegoat then and the Carnival gods have granted you the dream of having yet another thing to complain about. I'm with the poster that feels these lines are just a little "hardcore."

Uh.. No not hardcore, I think it is the only smart thing to do. Penalize the room steward is your concern, not penalizing the paying guest?

Now, I believe that there is a choice, and as long as the choice to have both service times is offered, it would not affect my gratuities. However, should the choice be taken away, and only 1/2 the service is offered, then yes I expect the gratuity should be cut in 1/2 as well.

I have never seen a job, including my own to take work and responsibility away from me, and allow me to keep the same pay. My earnings and time away from my family are just as important as the next persons.

Sooooo, if the steward comes once a day, you'll cut gratuities in half. be sure to arrange this at GS to be ONLY the steward and keep the rest in place.

We are traveling next week on Splendor with 3 in our cabin. So will the steward never convert the 3rd bed into a sofa during the day then back to a bed at night?!! Space in the cabin is already tight. I find it unacceptable if we are refused this service.

three separate people off Ecstasy last week reported in threads here that they were told only 1x per day. If you read the reviews of various ships on CC you see it pop up, also on FB Carnival groups seems to come up weekly.

John Heald says you can have both but people are reporting being told one time only.

I agree with reducing the tips for subpar cabin services; money is the universal language and when the company takes in less and stewards complain they will get the message.

I would love to know where you get your info? Your steak comparison is ridiculous. It is clear John Heald said this is a choice. We were never asked on the Dream.

You are wrong! It is NOT only once on certain ships. There is no ship that has only once a day service. The "Comfort" program is being tested ln a couple of ships. It has bee discussed extensively over the last few months. There is a card that you fill out with your cabin steward. THE TRIAL PROGRAM DOES NOT REQUIRE ONLY ONCE A DAY SERVICE. STOP SPREADING RUMOURS ABOUT STUFF YOU HAVE SHOWN YOU KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT.

I would love to know where you get your info? Your steak comparison is ridiculous. It is clear John Heald said this is a choice. We were never asked on the Dream.

Au contraire! The analogy regarding paying full price for half of a steak is an excellent comparison. I was on the Carnival Splendor in March of this year. We had the same ocean view cabin, back to back, with the same cabin steward. We had excellent service, twice per day, for both weeks. No one ever suggested servicing our cabin only once per day.

Wallygator

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same here...same cruise...not even a hint of anything but the normal twice a day room service by our steward, he was spot on!!

Okay, I know it's been said this topic has been "beaten to death", but I haven't been on the board in several months so I haven't seen these threads. And the one search I did came up with only one thread that was confusing and contradictory.

But, what I "think" is the case is that many ships are still having rooms twice a day as the default. However some ships are giving a card where you can choose morning service, evening service, or both. And if both isn't an option, you can check both morning and evening and both will be done. Also, if a room steward tells you that you can only choose one, you can kindly tell them you want service for both, and they will likely comply. So for those of us who still want morning and evening service there are several ways to make that happen. And for those who would rather have service only once a day, you get that option on some ships.

Is that the gist of it, am I missing something?

Okay, I know it's been said this topic has been "beaten to death", but I haven't been on the board in several months so I haven't seen these threads. And the one search I did came up with only one thread that was confusing and contradictory.

But, what I "think" is the case is that many ships are still having rooms twice a day as the default. However some ships are giving a card where you can choose morning service, evening service, or both. And if both isn't an option, you can check both morning and evening and both will be done. Also, if a room steward tells you that you can only choose one, you can kindly tell them you want service for both, and they will likely comply. So for those of us who still want morning and evening service there are several ways to make that happen. And for those who would rather have service only once a day, you get that option on some ships.

Is that the gist of it, am I missing something?

I had not been on Cruise Critic for awhile and I, too, went searching for info about this.

What you are describing is what I gleaned from the threads I found when I searched as well.

I will be sailing the Splendor next month which appears to be one of he ships testing this option. I have spoken to my travel companion about this and we are both in very firm agreement that we would like to continue with cabin service 2x daily..... there are several reasons why we both enjoy this option.

I would be happy to report back on my experience if anyone is interested and although it sounds like it has been posted quite a bit in the recent past I am interested in anyone's recent experience on the Splendor

No, we're not gross.

We're not slobs.

We do not remove tips.

We do want the room serviced in the morning.

BUT

We do like clean towels in the evening since we often shower twice a day on a cruise as well as the ice bucket filled and the Fun Times left on the bed. None of those things are available to us and require the steward bringing them.

Really? I am not a pig as you would say but I like and expect clean towels twice a day (the same as at home) and ice twice a day. I do not think this is asking too much, especially since they just raised gratuities.

If my room steward tells me in Dec. that I can only have once a day then I will tell him that he will get half the amount of his usual gratuity.