An Oft-Asked Question So Apologies: Suggestions POM to FLL

I know this is a question which gets bandied about the forums quite a bit, so now it’s my turn to ask this one in hopes of getting some advice. This will my first time flying out of FLL so that’s why the question.

I’m taking my second cruise on the Norwegian Escape for my birthday next February and I’m cashing in some American Airlines and Southwest miles for my tickets. I’m flying AA non-stop into MIA the day before the cruise - no problem as I use MIA all the time. But I intend on flying Southwest out of FLL. So instead of staying overnight like I usually do post-cruise, I’ll be returning home right after the cruise.

The Escape is scheduled to arrive back in Miami at 8:00 AM. I realize there can be issues - rare, but they can happen when it comes to customs. I’ll probably use Jiffy Jeff Transportation (based on reviews on Cruise Critic) to get to FLL. Southwest just today (July 7th) opened up their regular bookings thru March 8th 2017 (yay!) so I want to go ahead and get my ticket before the March 4th flights fill up (that’s on a Saturday). Looks like the ONLY feasible flight is at 3:15 PM, meaning they will start boarding around 2:45 PM. If I decided to leave the ship during one of the first couple of disembarkations, would a Saturday trip from POM to FLL to catch this flight be feasible? If not, I can always stay overnight, but I figure why not save the money, fly home, and use that cash for a future cruise :)

Thanks in advance!

The ride from POM to FLL takes 45-60+ minutes. I would stay on the ship until about 9:00, enjoying one last breakfast in the MDR, and you will still have hours to kill at the FLL airport.

Your other option is to get to FLL, check or story bags, and then head out somewhere fun for lunch before returning to go through TSA.

You have plenty of time. I had a 3:15pm flight with JetBlue out of FLL a couple of years ago when arriving back into the POM. We took our time getting off, took our car service to FLL and checked our luggage then grabbed a cab to Las Olas for a couple of hours. No problem.

You will be fine.

I'd Uber up and go somewhere for a fabulous boozy brunch in Fort Lauderdale then Uber or cab it to the airport.

On Saturdays and Sundays you see a ton of people eating in restaurants with their luggage.

The ride from POM to FLL takes 45-60+ minutes. I would stay on the ship until about 9:00, enjoying one last breakfast in the MDR, and you will still have hours to kill at the FLL airport.

Your other option is to get to FLL, check or story bags, and then head out somewhere fun for lunch before returning to go through TSA.

Hi there! That sounds quite workable! Thank you so much! (I see you on Cruise Critic all the time and always read what you post).

That makes me feel even better on taking the flight they posted! :)

Thank you for all the information.

You have plenty of time. I had a 3:15pm flight with JetBlue out of FLL a couple of years ago when arriving back into the POM. We took our time getting off, took our car service to FLL and checked our luggage then grabbed a cab to Las Olas for a couple of hours. No problem.

You will be fine.

I'd Uber up and go somewhere for a fabulous boozy brunch in Fort Lauderdale then Uber or cab it to the airport.

On Saturdays and Sundays you see a ton of people eating in restaurants with their luggage.

Oh wow! A boozy brunch. Hadn't even thought about that! LOL Any recommendations if I go that route?

Thanks to all of you for responding so quickly. I have Southwest up in another window. That ticket's about to get bought! :):):)

Ticket was purchased a few days ago! Thanks for all your help.

Another question or two (or three [emoji23]).

I'm thinking about dropping off my bags at FLL then going somewhere for brunch. Do any of you know how early Southwest accepts bags for a flight? (As I mentioned mine is 3:15). I saw on their website they have Express Bag check at FLL so I could use that.

I also saw on the FLL site that they had some type of baggage storage service (Bags to Go?), but on perusing a forum on CC they may be out of business. Suggestions?

Finally - any suggestions for a boozy brunch nearby FLL? [emoji898] Thanks!

Ticket was purchased a few days ago! Thanks for all your help.

Another question or two (or three [emoji23]).

I'm thinking about dropping off my bags at FLL then going somewhere for brunch. Do any of you know how early Southwest accepts bags for a flight? (As I mentioned mine is 3:15). I saw on their website they have Express Bag check at FLL so I could use that.

I also saw on the FLL site that they had some type of baggage storage service (Bags to Go?), but on perusing a forum on CC they may be out of business. Suggestions?

Finally - any suggestions for a boozy brunch nearby FLL? [emoji898] Thanks!

My favorites, and make reservations!

Tap 42

American Social

Tarpon Bend

Himmarshee Public House

Big City Tavern

Louie Bossi

Sweet Nectar

Yolo

Tap 42 is probably going to be closest to the airport.

You'll need reservations for American Social.

Thanks for the suggestions and yes, reservations are a must with me!

Do you know anything about the luggage dropoff at FLL specifically Southwest? Never used that airport before so I'm working out my logistics LOL

My favorites, and make reservations!

Tap 42

American Social

Tarpon Bend

Himmarshee Public House

Big City Tavern

Louie Bossi

Sweet Nectar

Yolo

Tap 42 is probably going to be closest to the airport.

You'll need reservations for American Social.

I don't know anything about Southwest as I've only flown into FLL on JetBlue but I did wander into Big City Tavern one time before our flight home. Nice place and great food!

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to start working out my logistics and all and I've got plenty of time to narrow down a choice! :)

You will be fine.

I am seriously thinking now this is the way to go! I checked with Southwest and they said I can check my bags 4 hours before my flight. I'm thinking now to do as you suggested and head straight to a restaurant (even if just to kick back with a mimosa or 2 or 3 LOL), relax with bags in tow then head to the airport at a decent time.

Have you ever caught Uber or Lyft from POM? Is it as easy as simple as it is at say MIA?

Have you ever caught Uber or Lyft from POM? Is it as easy as simple as it is at say MIA?

Lots of reports here about cruisers using Uber from POM -- the driver will call/text to verify your location. Fare to FLL area should be about $45

Lots of reports here about cruisers using Uber from POM -- the driver will call/text to verify your location. Fare to FLL area should be about $45

Sounds good. It's such mass confusion during disembarkation I had wondered, but I think this will be a winner: won't have to worry about waiting on vans or buses loading up to full capacity; won't have to worry about any stops but my own. Perfect! :)

Okay...first of all, be ready for the potential for general unpleasantness at FLL. It is my least favorite airport for a variety of reasons.

When we got off the Escape in February, here were the rules for Southwest:

If your plane left within the next two hours, you dropped your luggage on the upper level. Lines were long.

If your plane left within the next 3-4 hours (sometimes it's only 3, not the 4 you were told), you drop you luggage on the lower level. Lines were long. We were not allowed to line up naturally and ended up snaking outside after being yelled at by the helpful, friendly airport employees. :cool:

And the security lines...long. We have TSA precheck, so we were able to walk right up. But for the Southwest gates, they actually had you line up in a first line and once the actual TSA line gets short enough, they bring you over (these lines are on opposite sides of a walkway).

By the way, in 2015, we were told we weren't allowed to go through security until a certain time. Once you are through security, facilities/space is limited. It is obvious this airport was not built for the traffic it receives.

Give yourself plenty of time to get through all the preliminaries. If there are large ships docking that day at Port Everglades, take that into consideration.

I do agree with eating somewhere other than the airport. The choices are minimal (and fairly dismal).

Thanks for the information; I'm always looking for the little details about airports. I had heard some things about FLL so I've been preparing myself. The rule about not being able to go thru TSA until a certain time - I ran into that situation in Orlando; I think I ended up having a drink or 2 at a hotel bar inside the airport until I was allowed through security (but at least I was able to check my bags).

I've had dealings with "helpful, friendly airport employees" in the past. As someone who spent their career in public service I've never understood that type of nasty attitude, and it's usually for those little things like being in the wrong line or not moving fast enough. They must have very sad lives.

One question you did answer was about TSA Pre-Check which I've had a couple of years now (some of the best money I've ever spent).

I still have a few months (I don't leave until February), but I'm the type of person that likes to plan ahead, organize, and know what options I have. I'm thinking I'll head on up to Fort Lauderdale, have some brunch, then head to the airport several hours before to be on the safe side.

I'll also check to which large ships will be in Fort Lauderdale on that day so I can also plan accordingly. It's sad though that this airport - which gets so much service - sounds like it's stuck in the 70s or 80s.

Thank you again for the information, and if you think of anything else, please feel free to let me know! :)

Okay...first of all, be ready for the potential for general unpleasantness at FLL. It is my least favorite airport for a variety of reasons.

When we got off the Escape in February, here were the rules for Southwest:

If your plane left within the next two hours, you dropped your luggage on the upper level. Lines were long.

If your plane left within the next 3-4 hours (sometimes it's only 3, not the 4 you were told), you drop you luggage on the lower level. Lines were long. We were not allowed to line up naturally and ended up snaking outside after being yelled at by the helpful, friendly airport employees. :cool:

And the security lines...long. We have TSA precheck, so we were able to walk right up. But for the Southwest gates, they actually had you line up in a first line and once the actual TSA line gets short enough, they bring you over (these lines are on opposite sides of a walkway).

By the way, in 2015, we were told we weren't allowed to go through security until a certain time. Once you are through security, facilities/space is limited. It is obvious this airport was not built for the traffic it receives.

Give yourself plenty of time to get through all the preliminaries. If there are large ships docking that day at Port Everglades, take that into consideration.

I do agree with eating somewhere other than the airport. The choices are minimal (and fairly dismal).